thirith

'Retrofitting' downloaded MP missions with revive system

After a meatgrindery coop session on Saturday with too many one-shot kills, I'm hoping to go over the missions I've downloaded and 'retrofit' them with Arma's built-in revive system.

My plan was to de-PBO the missions and add the config settings and multiplayer lobby settings (so I can tweak things if necessary) to the missions' description.ext according to https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Revive, then re-PBO the missions.

My question is this: should this work the way I've described it? And if a mission already has custom revive functionality, are the added settings likely to screw the mission up somehow?

3 hours ago, thirith said:

should this work the way I've described it?

I believe you're on the right track with the wiki article and de-PBO

3 hours ago, thirith said:

And if a mission already has custom revive functionality, are the added settings likely to screw the mission up somehow?

I would expect screw-ups if custom revive system already exists

Thanks. I'm now going through all the missions to see if there are any pre-existing wounding/revive scripts; if there are, I just add the parameter settings (so the admin can activate the revive system in case the scripts no longer work), otherwise I add the whole shebang to description.ext, the parameter settings and the list of config settings. Here's hoping it'll work.

It's a shame there's no mod (or at least I haven't found any) that allows the admin to override the revive settings of any mission, without having to go in and edit the missions. That'd definitely make things easier.

Just a little aside ... have you looked at Psychobastard's AIS revive?  He's just updated it and it works perfectly - much better than the default BIS revive.

• Like 1

I've come across it, but I haven't looked at it in detail. Perhaps I should; it seems like it'd be pretty easy to add it to all sorts of missions.

Before you begin, I strongly suggest you have a look at these

https://forums.bistudio.com/guidelines/
https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/54604-forum-rules/

Posting addon/mod other content without permission:

For many years this community has been known as the premium addon/mod creating community. People work tirelessly and in great detail to create fantastic addons/mods/missions/campaigns to release for free so that everyone benefits, including Bohemia Interactive. You must get permission to alter someone else's work, to mirror their work or to use it in any way other than for personal use. Without permission please do not edit, mirror, add to your mod pack or edit and share around your private squad.

Unfortunately we cannot control what people do outside of these forums. However, on these forums you must follow this rule, if a person/team post a thread to share an addon/mod using content from someone else without permission, and we receive a complaint, the mod thread will be closed until the issue is resolved. Participation in this behavior comes with the risk of being permanently banned from these forums. Get permission by communicating with the original content creator(s).

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this. I originally interpreted my situation as "personal use", as it's for a small, non-public group (no more than eight people), but I now realise this might not count exactly because it *does* involve others, even if the group isn't public.

Best avenue would be to thank the author for a great mission, but suggest / request that they add the feature you're interested in. If they would rather not do that, ask politely if you could edit it. A good +75% of the time, polite requests work. 

• Like 1