nunbar

Bring back easy/normal modes

I know, the update is only 2 hours old and I'm here already complaining... But I don't really see the point in unifying these game modes.

Devs said that the player base was divided, but I don't think that is a problem. I could always find a server to play, any time of day. (EU - Raid - normal)

I always played normal (no hud, no teammate identification, etc), because it requires more attention to the game, and I feel more immersed.

I know I can disable it, but then there will be other players with the HUD on. Don't think it's fair, really...

I like to think that the guys I'm playing with are in the same situation that I'm in.

If the devs are worried about TK from new players, maybe restrict "normal" mode to lvl 3 and above? (or another lvl you see fit). That way, new players will have some (forced) help in the beginning and can learn the mechanics before going no-HUD

(that would also help higher lvl players to not get frustrated from beginners TKing)

And pls fix the minimap. If the minimap works right (all live players showing, dead/kicked players removed, etc), it would a very useful tool to ID friends/enemies

There should also be an option to change the zoom on the minimap. In Raid, the zoom is too far out. If there is a friend on the other side of a wall I can't see him in the minimap (check Battlefield games, they have a zoom option for the minimap)

I don't know... This is just my opinion..

I just got sad when I joined a match and saw friendly player names on the screen... The immersion, the tension, and fun I had before the update went down the drain...

• Like 1

I totally agree with you on that, but unfortunately, devs won't care about immersion in that game, or at least not anymore I think.
"If you want immersion, go play Arma 3" they'll probably say.

Looks like they're kind of lost about what should be the game IMO.

At the release date and subsequent weeks, I think Argo lost a lot of the "MilSim" players unfortunately,

so all it is left is people that want Argo being a free CoD or BF like game.

I found Project Argo (prototype) by watching an Arma 3 streamer that played Argo to be able to play quick games with his followers.
Let me just say that he's not playing this game anymore, since release.

I'm still downloading the update so I can't tell by myslef if it's a big game changer or not. However I've talked to some ppl who played the game after the update. For now the only negative thing is we can't play anymore in normal/easy modes like you said.

For me. It's maybe a way to fix the TK issue... However now I think we have less coms in the team. It's great from you guys to still give us the choice in the option to disable it. But I think you should one day do something else. If you want a competitive game, you should do something else than CSGO, RB6, Overwatch etc... All this game have a complex hud. And for me, I love the way Bohemia is, almost nothing but the game... Just the game. Dayz don't have a big hud, arma too... So why not Argo ? Even Arma have "veteran" server without hud at all. You need to check your inventory to know how much mags you have.

So I'm going to give a small idea. Like a competitive game, the higher rank you are, the more dificult it become.... If you are lvl 10 your crosshair is disabled, lvl 15 the hud on the top is disabled, ect....

36 minutes ago, Lt.Master said:

For me. It's maybe a way to fix the TK issue... However now I think we have less coms in the team. It's great from you guys to still give us the choice in the option to disable it. But I think you should one day do something else. If you want a competitive game, you should do something else than CSGO, RB6, Overwatch etc... All this game have a complex hud. And for me, I love the way Bohemia is, almost nothing but the game... Just the game. Dayz don't have a big hud, arma too... So why not Argo ? Even Arma have "veteran" server without hud at all. You need to check your inventory to know how much mags you have.

TK is not an "issue", otherwise devs should just disable TK instead of giving everything already cooked to "yeah stupid" players.
I agree that they should try to avoid to go the same way as CSGO and such games.

41 minutes ago, Lt.Master said:

So I'm going to give a small idea. Like a competitive game, the higher rank you are, the more dificult it become.... If you are lvl 10 your crosshair is disabled, lvl 15 the hud on the top is disabled, ect....

Can't agree with that because the HUD is most likely a preference and not something you just like over time.
Some people won't never know the Compass direction (N,E,S,W) and even their left and right.

Btw. This is probably a decision that have been made to less dilute the player base, between easy and normal.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for precious feedback!

We have spent a good deal of time discussing this change, lets provide you with some more context. We always wanted to make the Argo experience as immerse as possible.

We divided the HUD helpers into various categories to see if they have some impact on the actual gameplay, and there was just one that really did - the crosshair. The decision was pretty easy for us on that one, as players may aim down the sights, there is no need for any artificial help in that regard. One thing that was on the edge was marking of friendlies - that made it a lot easier to see where the friendlies are. Given the ration of team kills, we decided to remove the general helper and add a new one only in case you aim at a friendly. Recognizing the enemies still adds you precious time to secure the kill and allow fulfilling of the objectives. Other HUD helpers, such as round status and position of points, are already available in one way or another, be it on the map, in the score screen or via announcer voices. We decided to keep them based on players preference. On the other hand, we'll evaluate that decision based on data we get from the live environment.

I hope this explains the changes a bit more in depth, feel free to let the feedback flowing.

• Like 3

The merging of easy/normal mode was an excellent move in my opinion. The playerbase is more consolidated and unified now, as the developer pointed out a marker for friendlies is now available but only when aiming at one, meaning players still have to learn how to distinguish teams, and will eventually do so. The only other real training wheel aspect of easy mode was the crosshair and that simply had to go in a competitive game like this. New players now play with other new players and utilize the minimal training wheels to have a much easier transition against higher level players. 

23 minutes ago, GhettoGrill said:

I couldnt even find where you edit the hud :D 

Game options

@pettka Thanks for those precisions, even if I personally already knew what it would be. (Yeah, your reply was mostly addressed to the author)

Spoiler

It explains somewhat why Trump is President... majority decides ;)

@GhettoGrill Obviously you need HUD because you're not a good observer ;)

@Lt.Master I thought he was saying that he couldn't find what the Devs changed on the HUD. But I could be wrong.

• Like 2