robert31178

Drawing straight lines on maps

Good morning!!

A few updates ago I stopped being able to draw straight lines on the map. It used to be that you could select a color, hold one of the Alt buttons and it would park one end of the line on your cursor, and then the line would see attached to your cursor until you clicked again. It was super helpful as a pilot to be able to make routes and have straight lines to WPTs. now it seems that all I can do is draw lines by moving my mouse.......not very straight :-)

Does anyone know if you can still get the straight lines drawn on maps? If so can you please put how to do it for me?

Thank you!!

~Rob

That was never a vanilla function. You must have been using ACE Map Tools or something similar, or it was scripted into whatever mission you were playing.

33 minutes ago, SpacePilotMax said:

Straight lines need to become vanilla, or rather vanilla needs straight lines.

Yes, and the ability to have drawn lines saved along with other markers in saved games.

• Like 1

Yeah, that used to work for me, but then it stopped working, and now when I try it I just teleport. Did my unit do something to ACE3 maybe? Thanks for the responses guys. I'll ask them if they changed something to make it work weird. 

~Rob

13 hours ago, robert31178 said:

Yeah, that used to work for me, but then it stopped working, and now when I try it I just teleport. Did my unit do something to ACE3 maybe? Thanks for the responses guys. I'll ask them if they changed something to make it work weird. 

~Rob

Alt+left click on map to teleport is a vanilla function. It only works when you are previewing a mission in the editor. While it overrides the ACE Map Tools straight line function, you can still draw straight lines by ctrl+left clicking along the edge of the map tool, using it as a straight edge as you would IRL.

Ok, I will try that out. I could not get the straight line "alt+leftclick" to work for me on server. Jusat to make sure I am doing it right, I have the map tool displayed on my map, and then I hold "alt", then left click and it is supposed to attach a line to my cursor for me to drop elsewhere on the map yes? Or at least it used to work like that?

~Rob

Now that I have had a chance to get my server up, here's the deal as of ACE 3.10.2:

• Drawing a straight line is only possible by using the map tool as a straight edge, as I described in my previous post.
  • Alt+click is used to rotate the map tool.
  • If you are teleporting with alt+click, you are either previewing a mission in the editor, or some other script/mod is enabling that function.

Got it all figured out now. It's not at all like I remember it, but I got it. When I used this stuff before you could just alt+left click and there would be a line attached to your cursor, no map tool needed. Dow no one remember this? It was just like it is in DCS now, only here in Arma, and it was something I learned from my very first unit. We used to use it to make flight plans/routes. Guess it doesn't matter, I got this way now and can make straight lines again, and actually like how these look because the lines are thicker and you can actually see them way better. Thank you very much for all of the help!!

~Rob

This thread seems to be long dead, but I was looking for this and figured it out for anyone who stumbles across this. You press control, shift and left click to draw a straight line and just control and left click for a line that follows your cursor. This is in vanilla by the way.

Edit: this was done in the dev branch before tanks, so if you read this before then then you probably won't have this available.

Edited by Tshi
Didn't realise was on dev branch.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ahh, when was this added? Was it available back when this thread started? Have to dig through the release notes...

I can't draw a Straight Line, but I can Draw with the Cursor. So it's half working for me. Just tested in Editor/Preview mode.

4 hours ago, Von Quest said:

I can't draw a Straight Line, but I can Draw with the Cursor. So it's half working for me. Just tested in Editor/Preview mode.

Same, I've always been able to draw, but I don't think straight line is a thing. Not sure where @Tshi is getting this from, but it isn't vanilla.

8 hours ago, Harzach said:

Same, I've always been able to draw, but I don't think straight line is a thing. Not sure where @Tshi is getting this from, but it isn't vanilla.

I just tested this in vanilla DEV and it worked perfectly, using Control+Shift key and drawing a straight line. Maybe it a DEV build feature. He should have said if he was using DEV or stable.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018 at 12:33 AM, jakeplissken said:

I just tested this in vanilla DEV and it worked perfectly, using Control+Shift key and drawing a straight line. Maybe it a DEV build feature. He should have said if he was using DEV or stable.

Yeh just realised I was on dev branch when I tested this out, apologies for not making that clear I didn't think to check.

• Like 1

Reviving this thread for a quick question and troubleshooting.

I'm guessing the straight line never made it out of Dev branch (yet?)

When using the ACE method of drawing along the Map Tool the cursor seems to bounce about making the ability to draw a straight line more luck than judgement. I've included a quick video of pressing ctrl+left clicking along the edge of the map tool. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/niad432q1gjia5a/ArmA 3 2019.08.03 - 09.48.27.01.mp4?dl=0

• Like 1

I use vanilla (no ACE3), and the Straight Line works great for me.

It must be an ACE and/or Dev Issue.

12 hours ago, Von Quest said:

I use vanilla (no ACE3), and the Straight Line works great for me.

Great to hear! What are the keys to draw a straight line in Vanilla not using the Dev Branch?

Thanks!

While holding L.Shift + L.Ctrl = Straight Line.

While holding L.Ctrl = Drawing on Map.

• Like 3

Awesome!!!! Thank you!!!