Sign in to follow this  
fraczek

Server browser not working (with cmdline parameters after upgrade) [resolved]

Since last update, server browser is not working. I can click on the button but nothing happens.

35 minutes ago, fraczek said:

Since last update, server browser is not working. I can click on the button but nothing happens.

Using certain Startup Parameters ( -nosplash - skipintro) can cause issues directly after an update, just launch the game once without them and click on the "Server Browser" button (it should work), after that you can close the game and add the Parameters again, and all should work without problems ;)

• Like 1

Thanks. That worked. I did use those, how did you guess :) ?

I apologise for asking a question about a problem caused by me using not publicised startup parameters I just surmised did carry over from all the years of Arma series :D

Few somewhat related questions please (probably should have asked in a diff/new thread though, please delete/merge if inappropriate):

1. If those parameters cause problems, and since Biki doesn't mention Argo yet, are there any official command-line parameters for Argo? The two mentioned seem to partly work (apart from that issue you mentioned with leaving them on after last upgrade), what about the rest of the engine parameters? Especially with 64-bit exe, malloc, Large Page enabled, VRAM for cards with 8GB+, HT, etc like in A3? Probably most of them would not be that much useful, since a lot of new players of Argo unused to tweaking RV engine could just mess up their performance using the wrong ones, like messing up HT or cores (you see questionable advice in YouTube comments about tweaking A3 performance with those all the time), what's the dev's take on this? I do think it might be nice to not disable them, perhaps just show a similar warning as Arma series shows when using mods (Warning, you are running modded version of the game, etc...)
  2. What's the default exe that runs when I just click Play Argo in Steam / the desktop icon ? There are three options, Play Argo, Play 64-bit, Play 32-bit, does the first one select the exe suitable for my system (32/64-bit) automatically? Reliably on 64-bit?

Thanks!

21 hours ago, fraczek said:

Thanks. That worked. I did use those, how did you guess :) ?

Well, I am using some as well (-enableHT -netlog -nosplash -hugepages), so I had the same problem at some point and manged to track down the problem :)

1. If those parameters cause problems, and since Biki doesn't mention Argo yet, are there any official command-line parameters for Argo? The two mentioned seem to partly work (apart from that issue you mentioned with leaving them on after last upgrade), what about the rest of the engine parameters? Especially with 64-bit exe, malloc, Large Page enabled, VRAM for cards with 8GB+, HT, etc like in A3? Probably most of them would not be that much useful, since a lot of new players of Argo unused to tweaking RV engine could just mess up their performance using the wrong ones, like messing up HT or cores (you see questionable advice in YouTube comments about tweaking A3 performance with those all the time), what's the dev's take on this? I do think it might be nice to not disable them, perhaps just show a similar warning as Arma series shows when using mods (Warning, you are running modded version of the game, etc...)

To be honest, the impact of the commands is not big in Argo. Arma 3 profits more of those, as you have to render and handle large quantities of Terrain and objects there. In Argo you are limited to 600m (or was it 800m?) view distance.

The best one is prob -nosplash for faster loading ;)

For the same reason the devs don't want to put to much effort into it, I bet.

1. What's the default exe that runs when I just click Play Argo in Steam / the desktop icon ? There are three options, Play Argo, Play 64-bit, Play 32-bit, does the first one select the exe suitable for my system (32/64-bit) automatically? Reliably on 64-bit?

By default (if you click just on play) it should pick the last one you chose (x64 or x86) with given parameters. If you are not sure just check in the task manager, the path of the Argo process, and it should say "...steamapps/common/Argo_x64.exe"  for 64bit or "..../Argo.exe" for 32bit there ;)

If you can't tell the difference, then it does not matter anyway, now does it? :rthumb:

Yoshi_E, thanks for the reply :) Of course, with the shorter VD any difference might not be much, I just wanted to know if I am not running the 32-bit version by accident :) Going 64-bit did make a difference for me in Arma 3, even though Bohemia had a pretty clever way of circumventing the memory limit of 32-bit processes for years already (via file mapping some part of the free RAM, IIRC, though it was obviously just circumventing the 32-bit limits in a clever way, but probably inferior to full 64-bit addressing), so I just wanted to be sure. And as you say, nosplash is essential :) I use hugepages as well, so far no problems, and do not need HT parameter with my CPU. As most of the parameters are rather system specific, the defaults should probably work right for the majority of players. And with the limited "arenas" and VD in Argo, most impact would be probably just in the editor when zooming over the island. Thanks for the answers, probably consider this closed right now :)

• Like 1