Zaptoman

USS Freedom Corrections

BI,

As someone who has worked extensively on a real-life carrier, I have a few corrections for the USS Freedom flight deck.

Firstly, the radars on the island (steel plates in the game with cross bars) are not correct. They should be flat and grey-white with a small outer bevel (see image). Ford_island_lorez.jpg

Secondly, the distance between the island (superstructure above the deck) and the foul line (red and white line demarking the landing area) is not correct. The island should be moved closer to the outer edge of the deck, enough to allow two or three helicopters to park at an angle between the island and the foul line (see image). gallery-1488830826-gettyimages-647241772

• Like 1

LOL i appreciate your attentions to the details..... but i must warn you as a Veteran myself. A lot of times these things are intentional to make a "likeness" of a real world object not necessarily a replication. To replicate something in this day and age is running the gauntlet of licensing issues, copyrights, and intellectual property. This is the core of why everything in A3 is pretty much fictional compared to past titles where equipment was real world. 

When i started playing OFP/Arma games manufacturers would have been honored to see you make a digital copy of their plane/tank/ship/or gun. Nowadays not so much. 

• Like 7

On 7/24/2017 at 7:47 PM, SpacePilotMax said:

Remeber: it's 2035. Things can change in twenty years, especially that much.

Oh, I certainly know that. My larger point is, why would you change something to make it less functional? If you can't park helos next to the island, you have to put them in fighter spots, or keep them in the hangar bay. Not bueno.

Understandable. There is also the matter of it looking good. I kinda feel the Freedom's different proportions make it look nicer (the red line is closer to the island because the ship is narrower [I think].). Plus, as stated above, copyright.

I don't think copyright is an issue.  Look at all the "future" guns and vehicles in Arma 3 that are actually real guns and vehicles.  They're not getting sued there.

iirc, it's more to do with infringing trademarks than physical design.  Hence Land Rover "Offender" in Arma 2 or indeed anything in games that looks like something but has a slightly different name.  If you remember, they had to get approval from Trijicon to use their trademark in Arma 2 (check out the splash screen as you boot up the game).  Also, you can have a gun in your game/movie without infringing copyright as long as you use the military designation, as they are exempt by being items of historical significance.  My recollection of copyright law is old, so prove me wrong if you like.

Personally, I think they had to fit it in to a certain geometry and acceptable texture size, so that's how it ended up.

3 hours ago, das attorney said:

iirc, it's more to do with infringing trademarks than physical design.

You violate a trademark if its appearance has been trademarked by the company that filed for it as well. See Bell/Textron for instance, or even Glock and HyperStealth. But this doesn't seem to be the case for the Freedom since HHI (the parent company that designs the real-life G.R.F.-class carriers) doesn't seem to have a trademark filed on USPTO...at least not through a casual search of the database anyway.

I'd chalk this up to BI/B01 themselves explaining in the Jets DLC OPREP that the Freedom is...

• Full-size super aircraft carrier inspired by the USS Gerald R. Ford
  • Static carrier capable of launching and recovering naval aircraft
  • The pinnacle of NATO force projection all over the globe, a veritable airport on the sea

Emphasis on "inspired"; ergo doesn't need to be 100% exact in appearance to the real G.R.F.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, drebin052 said:

You violate a trademark if its appearance has been trademarked by the company that filed for it as well. See Bell/Textron for instance, or even Glock and HyperStealth. But this doesn't seem to be the case for the Freedom since HHI (the parent company that designs the real-life G.R.F.-class carriers) doesn't seem to have a trademark filed on USPTO...at least not through a casual search of the database anyway.

I'd chalk this up to BI/B01 themselves explaining in the Jets DLC OPREP that the Freedom is...

Emphasis on "inspired"; ergo doesn't need to be 100% exact in appearance to the real G.R.F.

Exactly-it is inspired by. The same as how some real world weapons appear slightly changed in Arma3-with different calibers or uses etc. For example the SDAR is an underwater rifle in-game, but in real life is a normal bullpup rifle- http://armedassault.wikia.com/wiki/SDAR

• Like 1