Victruso

Can someone explain how armor and passThrough values work in determining ballistic protection/explosive resistance?

So, I was working on patches for armor values for a mod, and noticed the strange way passThrough/armor worked.

Could someone explain to me how armor influences the passThrough value, which determines the Ballistic Protection, etc. etc.

I checked the Bohemia community wiki, but I'm still a bit confused as to how armor is influencing all of this.

I did at one point assign multiple passThrough values while leaving the armor value the same, and saw that the Ballistic Protection changed but the explosive resistance was the same.

But when I wanted to modify the Ballistic protection of a helmet while not touching the explosive value, things got wonky. It didn't change too much, only when I boosted the armor up a bit, did something change.

TL:DR, How do I properly isolate Ballistic Protection and Explosive Resistance values that will be applied to unique vests and equipment?

3 hours ago, .kju said:

I've been reading through those, but maybe I'm just missing something or whatnot. I'll probably experiment with some vanilla configs and see if I can figure it out...

Okay, maybe I'm tired and just need rest to figure this out or I'm having some kind of undiscovered version of a massive brainfart.

The player's body, class man, has armor = 2.

That means he's got a global health of 2.

His armorStructural = 0.4 meaning if he took 4 damage, then it would translate into 1.6, or 40% of the damage.

ExplosionShielding = 0.04, taken from armorStructural / 10 OR 0.4 / 10 = 0.04.

Checking the Soldier Protection Wiki Page lead to some interesting revelations for me.

The subclasses of the base hitpoints for man would have armor ADDED on to the original total when something like a plate carrier was equipped.

In addition, passThrough is a coeffecient that determines how much damage is going to pass through into total damage when the hitpoint is struck.

So, for example. Say HitDiaphragm with-

• armor = 1
  • passThrough = 0.1
  • explosionShielding = 6

Is covered by some armor with-

• armor = 20
  • armor = 0.2

And that's leaves the totals at-

• armor  = 21
  • passThrough = 0.02

So, if a round that deals 100 damage flies and smacks into this piece of armor, would the calculation for this whole thing go as-

100 / 21 = 4.76(rounded for the sake of ease.) * ( 2 * .2 = 10) = 47.6 * (0.02) * (0.4) = 0.3808.

I feel like I goofed up somewhere along here, but correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT- Not done with this yet, hit Enter Key on accident and it saved. Still working this out in my head and on paper.

EDIT-Now I'm done.

Guys, I'm still stuck on this.

It's been days and I have yet to figure it out.

Can someone walk through with me on this?

This is precisely why the current hitpoint and damage system is a nightmare for any modder/dev.

Most important is that total damage can act really weird and result in values that do not match with calculation. As a result, everything based on total damage is flawed.

When indirect damage is received, your soldiers generally die from total damage in vanilla.  So passthrough directly influences your resistance to explosives, but only to a certain limit - that is where the individual hitpoints take more damage than totaldamage-> individual hitpoints are the killer, not totaldamage.

When direct damage is received... you can no longer calculate anything either. If a bullet with hit=100 hits the foot of a soldier,  not only does the leg take damage, but possibly also the torso arms and head. I call this "internal damage bleeding". The higher the hit value, the greater the radius in which internal damage is spread. Another problem that leads you to beeing unable to calculate anything is, that bullets that do penetrate through only deal a fraction of their damage.  So unless the hitvalue of the weapon is low, and the bullet ends in the soldiers torso, you can't predict how much damage the soldier takes.

Both issues are described on the damage description biki page that kju linked (read the damage vs. penetration section). I wrote a ticket about these problems here https://feedback.bistudio.com/T120542

I think I might've asked my question incorrectly.

I'm guessing I'm probably gonna have to do some heavy algebra, but I'm simply trying to figure out the correct equation which would allow me to assign...say for example-

A series of Level 3 Ballistic Protection Vests with different Explosive Resistance Values.

The GL Carrier Rigs have some kind of clue to that, but what you described above helps a little bit.

58 minutes ago, Victruso said:

I think I might've asked my question incorrectly.

I'm guessing I'm probably gonna have to do some heavy algebra, but I'm simply trying to figure out the correct equation which would allow me to assign...say for example-

A series of Level 3 Ballistic Protection Vests with different Explosive Resistance Values.

The GL Carrier Rigs have some kind of clue to that, but what you described above helps a little bit.

Like i said, there is no simple equation for this, since there still is mystic behaviour that nobody knows the formula for.  You can use relativity... Say you want 2 times the explosive resistance compared to vanilla vest XYZ that you know the behaviour of. Then it's only a matter of applying a factor to the vests stats.

1 hour ago, x3kj said:

Like i said, there is no simple equation for this, since there still is mystic behaviour that nobody knows the formula for.  You can use relativity... Say you want 2 times the explosive resistance compared to vanilla vest XYZ that you know the behaviour of. Then it's only a matter of applying a factor to the vests stats.

Jesus.

Well, in that case, time to do a LOT of trial and error.

Just wish there was some way to see the visible number on ballistic protection/ER or have some input from the devs about this, it's quite nutty.

Anyway, thank you.

Someone made a mod that added bullet lines to every projectile. It even had colour code for damage when penatrating solid objects.

It even showed the range of each bullet and when the bullet would loose its damage at range. It works with vehicles and choppers to. 

I can remember the name of it but if I come across it again I'll post you the link. It may help you