Sign in to follow this  
l4z0rr0b0tz

Fastest way to create convex subvolumes for GeoLOD etc

Hi,

I'm working on a lot of natural objects such as rocks.  

I've been creating my rocks in 3ds MAX and I have a script I can run to create a convex HULL.  But this creates geometry which is larger than the resolution LOD, and so obviously if someone is running or colliding into it than it looks like they're floating in the air.  When I look at the BIS example material of rocks, many of them have as many as 50 convex components for the GEOLOD.

I'm wondering if anyone has an easier way of creating convex subvolumes than just doing it by hand.  It could take a very, very long time that way.  Googling this subject has mostly resulted in math debates about what algorithm would even be possible to use.  So I'm guessing there is not a simple script.  That's why I'm posting and asking you guys what the easiest way is!

Also, I'm aware that there are ways of creating convex hulls/geometry from within 02.  But they are not really any different from the MAX script that I have.

EDIT:  I have discoverd that when creating more complex objects like big rocks that you want the players to be able to run and take cover on, you will need to start by creating a set of convex objects in max and then "Skin" them for the reso LODs.  This might be the easiest approach?  not sure

• Like 1

You could take your lowest res lod, split everything, add a shell modifier and increase the side inside of the rock.  You could also retopo your rock with as few polys as possible, split those faces, and then add a shell modifier.