Hey, I really need help with using ORBAT. I downloaded the mod through steam and the other files that people say you have to download don't work. My computer doesn't recognize the files. If someone could help out that'd be greatly appreciated and I a complete noob at this and the game so be gentle.

Hi...

As far as I know ORBAT is part of ALiVE and really probably not for the uninitiated... It's for creating custom factions for use within ALiVE - is that what you're trying to do ?

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Hi...

As far as I know ORBAT is part of ALiVE and really probably not for the uninitiated... It's for creating custom factions for use within ALiVE - is that what you're trying to do ?

Regards,
Scott

I'm just trying to make a little independent faction using textures and everything else in the vanilla game and ALiVE. I figured everything else up to the actual point of putting it into the game and can't figure that out.

Hi...

Sounds good - I was just playing around with the same thing last night - ALiVE, ORBAT, Unsung, and the Cambodia map... I'm assuming you have Hero's ALiVE index for the Cambodia map ? Instead of creating my own I used Opendome's ORBAT factions... worked like a champ... Honestly - while I've played around with ORBAT a bunch of times since it's release - I haven't managed to figure out that last part either - getting the files out of ORBAT and into ARMA... From Opendome's work - it appears that the ORBAT mods need to be exported and turned into a "pbo" and loaded like any other mod...

Here - look at his work for an example:
The Unsung Vietnam War and ALiVE Compatability Mod

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=31761&share_tid=198097&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Ebistudio%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F198097-The-Unsung-Vietnam-War-and-ALiVE-Compatability-Mod&share_type=t

The one issue I noted - is you can't seem to change the load out of pre-made ORBAT factions in the editors Arsenal - you are stuck with what was built...

I have a very basic ALiVE mission setup and working now with the aforementioned mods - I could paste it here if it would help...

Regards,
Scott

On 7/9/2017 at 8:34 AM, scottb613 said:

Hi...

Sounds good - I was just playing around with the same thing last night - ALiVE, ORBAT, Unsung, and the Cambodia map... I'm assuming you have Hero's ALiVE index for the Cambodia map ? Instead of creating my own I used Opendome's ORBAT factions... worked like a champ... Honestly - while I've played around with ORBAT a bunch of times since it's release - I haven't managed to figure out that last part either - getting the files out of ORBAT and into ARMA... From Opendome's work - it appears that the ORBAT mods need to be exported and turned into a "pbo" and loaded like any other mod...

Here - look at his work for an example:
The Unsung Vietnam War and ALiVE Compatability Mod

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=31761&share_tid=198097&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Ebistudio%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F198097-The-Unsung-Vietnam-War-and-ALiVE-Compatability-Mod&share_type=t

The one issue I noted - is you can't seem to change the load out of pre-made ORBAT factions in the editors Arsenal - you are stuck with what was built...

I have a very basic ALiVE mission setup and working now with the aforementioned mods - I could paste it here if it would help...

Regards,
Scott

I only use steam workshop mods. So you saying like any other mods doesn't help out...because I've heard of launchers... I don't have the Cambodia map nor unsung. I'm happy with the basic maps but then again, I don't have anyone to play this game with. I just play by myself because there isn't any laid back groups. All these groups say they are and then they are hardcore roleplayers

8 minutes ago, CDRDread said:

I only use steam workshop mods. So you saying like any other mods doesn't help out...because I've heard of launchers... I don't have the Cambodia map nor unsung. I'm happy with the basic maps but then again, I don't have anyone to play this game with. I just play by myself because there isn't any laid back groups. All these groups say they are and then they are hardcore roleplayers

Hi...

Sorry - mixed you up with someone else who "private messaged" me on this topic at the same time... So just ignore the Unsung/Cambodia stuff...

I'm strictly a single player as well...

I think I may have figured out the ORBAT export though - someone pointed me to this on the WIKI:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Generate_Config

In the ORBAT Creator, click Generate Config to copy the code to the clipboard.

• Download the addon template from ALiVE github here and unzip it.
  • In the file browser, open addons/test/autogen.hpp and paste the copied code.
  • Use a pbo tool to pack the test folder into a pbo
  • Rename the pbo to your chosen faction name and place it in the folder @myfaction/addons/myfaction.pbo
  • Move your new @myfaction to the ArmA3 folder and run it like any other mod.
  • Load up Eden and check that your new faction is showing in the list correctly.

To create a PBO you can use this:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16369

Open PBO Manager, find the file you want to make into a PBO. Right click on it through PBO Manager. Scroll down to "PBO Manager." Select the option to pack the file into a PBO.

Hope this helps - I plan to try it over the weekend...

Regards,

Scott

Is it possible to start a new faction, edit some units and keep it as a work in progress... When I start a new faction and add a few units, close ORBAT and then come back to it I cannot find the new faction I had created? Or do you need to complete the whole process in one sitting?

Is it possible to start a new faction, edit some units and keep it as a work in progress... When I start a new faction and add a few units, close ORBAT and then come back to it I cannot find the new faction I had created? Or do you need to complete the whole process in one sitting?

Hi...

I - think - you can do that - you need to go through the whole process though - build a pbo and make a full blown mod out of it - then load it in your new session as an official mod - then you could go back into it and edit away - saving the new changes... I haven't completed the export process yet myself - so take what I said with a grain of salt...

ORBAT clearly states it's unable to write files directly - hence the need for us to cut and paste - so I'm assuming it might have difficulty reading text files as well...

As I stated - I'm going to give this whole process a try over the weekend...

Regards,

Scott

• Like 1

Yeah that makes sense, probably good to go through the whole process also... Cheer Scott!

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Yeah - I'll post here with what I figure out - we can compare notes... best of luck !

Regards,
Scott

I tested that and it worked great! you were correct, once you go through the whole process and upload your mod folder you can the edit and tweak your faction when ever you choose, this is a great tool :)

Great to hear - I'll try messing with it myself - I suspect once you go through the process - it's pretty easy...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got it working too - just added some ARVN to UNSUNG...

Regards,
Scott

2 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Great to hear - I'll try messing with it myself - I suspect once you go through the process - it's pretty easy...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's all quite simple in the end, the only thing I'm having issue with is manning tanks and APCs, they spawn with a driver but no gunner or commander and I get turret error reports and when they spawn the machine gun muzzle is stuck in a firing effect, I'm thinking I need to specify some gunner and commander units.

EDIT: Ok found out that the issue is with RHS vehicles, not ORBAT.

Edited by katipo66
Issue is with RHS vehicles

Hi...

Yeah - having a little trouble myself - I can't seem to get the units into my new faction - my test worked when I copied an existing faction - changing to my own and adding groups... Funny - some of the units didn't come across in the copy as well - it gave me the full list of units - but two thirds were blank images and unusable...

Strange... I'll have to play with this some more...

Regards,
Scott