Hello guys,

Last time i played on a french server and i'm was connect on their Teamspeak. My french is not wonderful but one moment in the chatbox i saw a message from, maybe, a admin which said in english : "Give donate". (This message was send 4 times). 

My question is ; "Can a server call to donate ?"

According to the BI Rules on monetisation, donations are allowed providing they are given as a gift "without any counter value" which reading between the lines means

The donator does not receive any special privileges, equipment, special access or any perks of any kind that are not readily available to those who do not donate.

This is how most open arma communities fund their servers.

We have been running of donations in this way buying our own servers and colocating since 2003 and without those that do donate we would not have survived for as long as we have.

We are currently starting to save up for the next gen of ArmA whenever that will come and that server for our expected requirements is gonna be the most expensive server we have ever bought.

I would suggest if you find yourself on an Arma community server that is run well, gives you quality of gameplay that you should consider offering a small monthly contribution towards the running costs. £$5 is peanuts and easily found for most people, and if a decent bunch in the community all chip in it helps a lot

A 1U rack server can cost a few thousand $, £, Euros to buy dependant on the hardware and then £50 + for colocation

Rented slot servers vary in price from as little as £15/month 

Rented full dedicated servers can cost anything from £80 upwards

Windows licenses aren't cheap and then there are additional apps such as Firedeamon and websites that also need to be funded

Ok ok, that's a little bit clear for me, but this french server said for example ; "If we don't have enough donation before this night, the server will be close". And they said that again an again during all the evening with a link to the forum where you can donate. 

I understand donation is very important for server to "survive" but this french server forces players to donate to play the next month. Futhermore i heard this server did this 3/4 months ago and they received a warning from Bohemia to stop admin send message like this. 

This server is like a "Pay to win" or "Pay to 'play' " !

you can have pay to play - these are usually squads/clans private servers. There are instances where there are public servers where paying members (of that particular group) have priority over everyone else. And it is all fine in the end, as long as they do not reply on other's people work or pay of a particular service (monetization) in order to do that.

btw, i am pretty sure the type of server you are talking about is a life/RP community one

Of course ! It's an Altis Life, so a Role Playing Game.

I understand donation is very important for server to "survive" but this french server forces players to donate to play the next month.

that makes perfect sense to me ...

if no one donates, server shuts down and you cant play on it.

not saying you should, or that they should be sending those messages, but its basic logic. no money = no server

servers are inherently "pay for play"

either the server owner "pays for play" out of pocket, or community supports server "pay for play"

On 2017-7-9 at 2:21 PM, PuFu said:

you can have pay to play - these are usually squads/clans private servers. There are instances where there are public servers where paying members (of that particular group) have priority over everyone else. And it is all fine in the end, as long as they do not reply on other's people work or pay of a particular service (monetization) in order to do that.

btw, i am pretty sure the type of server you are talking about is a life/RP community one

You are pointing out Monetisation rules which are very different from donation rules and there is a clear distinction between the two.

Here are the links for all of this information:

https://www.bistudio.com/monetization

https://www.bistudio.com/monetization/faq#c2

Hum, i played another time on this french server and staff force rebel player to pay 10 € (real) per month to get a rebel base............... Is it normal ???

Reads the links I gave you. If you think the rules are being breached let BIS know

12 hours ago, Fluxterm said:

Hum, i played another time on this french server and staff force rebel player to pay 10 € (real) per month to get a rebel base............... Is it normal ???

If you walk down the street and a person has a collection box, you put some change in, the person says thank you - That's a donation

If you give someone money and they give you something in return - That's a purchase

• Like 2

On 14/07/2017 at 7:34 AM, Fluxterm said:

Report their asses!

On 18/07/2017 at 11:05 PM, kremator said:

Report their asses!

how i can do this ?

by contacting BIS using the contact button on the bottom of one of the pages I linked you too that you must not have read.