Sign in to follow this  
Leopard20

Laggy building destruction animations and PIP

I don't know why, but sometimes destruction animations (like when you destroy the antenna in the showcase mission "Vehicles") and also PIP render in very low FPS and look laggy (the game FPS is around 40 but these animations look like 5 FPS). I've noticed that this happens when there is a high number of objects, AI,... in the scene. But my hardware is even better than the recommended specs (Core i7 4700HQ CPU and GTX 770m GPU) and like I said my FPS is generally high so I don't know why this happens.

Is there a way to fix it? Like by using some parameters or modifying some options?

P.S: I use the 64bit executable.

There are good reasons that your performance is borderline:

1) your CPU is slow, a Core i7 4700HQ, only runs at 2.4 GHz. Like most simulators, Arma is a very CPU-dependent game. So if you want good performance (30+ fps) you need a CPU running at least 3.0 GHz, ideally 3.5 GHz to be sure. The problem is that, you're playing on a laptop and even the latest and greatest mobile CPU from Intel, Core i7-7920HQ, barely passes 3.0 Ghz

2) your GTX 770m is a mid-range but mobile GPU so don't expect very high framerates

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780m-770m-765m,3732-4.html

Conclusion

You're playing on a laptop and it's 3 years old.

So moderate your graphical settings and/or your performance expectations accordingly.

I'd suggest the Standard preset but disable PiP and FSAA.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2017 at 2:12 PM, domokun said:

There are good reasons that your performance is borderline:

1) your CPU is slow, a Core i7 4700HQ, only runs at 2.4 GHz. Like most simulators, Arma is a very CPU-dependent game. So if you want good performance (30+ fps) you need a CPU running at least 3.0 GHz, ideally 3.5 GHz to be sure. The problem is that, you're playing on a laptop and even the latest and greatest mobile CPU from Intel, Core i7-7920HQ, barely passes 3.0 Ghz

2) your GTX 770m is a mid-range but mobile GPU so don't expect very high framerates

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780m-770m-765m,3732-4.html

Conclusion

You're playing on a laptop and it's 3 years old.

So moderate your graphical settings and/or your performance expectations accordingly.

I'd suggest the Standard preset but disable PiP and FSAA.

Actually, The Corei7 4700HQ overclocks up to 3.2GHz (I've set my laptop in performance mode, which means it always stays at 3.2 GHz), so it's in the clear.

Also, even though the GTX 770m is a "mid-rage GPU", it's way above the recommended GPU (GTX 560 or even 660) for running ARMA. Like I said most of the time I'm running at near 60 FPS with almost everything set to maximum @1080p (no FSAA, viewdistance 4000, HDR standard). My minimum is 35 (which happens at nights, which is weird because there is nothing at night to slow down the game, no shadows, lighting... so it must be an optimization issue). Besides, I said the animations play at a slow framerate, not the game (the scene moves at 40-50 FPS, but not those animations)

No offense but i wouldnt feel 'in the clear' till 3.8-4.0 with Arma. Sleep better at 4.4.

You don't mention how much RAM or VRAM you have, but that could be a factor. Also, on laptops if possible run Arma from an SSD if one is available. That will reduce perceived stutter due to better loading. 

Two options that eat frame rates are Visual distance and Object distance. If you are in Tanoan jungle, for instance, set VD to 1000 or maybe even less and object distance to half of that. Play with those two settings, they can make a difference

17 hours ago, old_painless said:

You don't mention how much RAM or VRAM you have, but that could be a factor. Also, on laptops if possible run Arma from an SSD if one is available. That will reduce perceived stutter due to better loading. 

Two options that eat frame rates are Visual distance and Object distance. If you are in Tanoan jungle, for instance, set VD to 1000 or maybe even less and object distance to half of that. Play with those two settings, they can make a difference

I don't think the amount of RAM has anything to do with this (it happens with both 64bit and 32bit executables). Anyway, it's 12GBs. The amount of VRAM is 3GBs. Remember that arma 3 requires half my system specs to run smoothly (at least according to their official system requirements).

Also, I never said I have problems with stuttering. The GAME runs PERFECTLY FINE (well, except at nights but even then it's above 30 and thus it is semi-smooth). I'm saying that the animations do not match the game and are very slow. And BTW, have you ever seen how badly the game looks even @2000 view distance? In my opinion, the viewing distance should be above 3000 (especially if you're into piloting). I use ACE to adjust my viewing distance dynamically (4000 on foot, 3000 in land vehicles and 6000 in aerial units). You may think 6000 or 4000 is overkill, but compared with 2000 all it costs is only a couple of frames at most. My object viewing distance is half those numbers (again, adjusted dynamically). The only settings I don't use at maximum is terrain (veryhigh), object (high) and shadows (high).

Anyway, I'm getting off the point. Perhaps I should record a video so you understand my problem better.

So for you PiP fps lowers in some situations even when your fps is good? Generally the PiP fps is lower to likely save performance so are you sure it's not just about that?

If you can record a video it would be easier to judge if the stuff you see is what it also looks for everybody else.

Are you experiencing this in dev branch, stable branch or both? What I read and understand this doesn't sound like a hardware thing. That hardware should be capable to run this game.

Maybe low fps destruction animations are just mod conflict (test without mods first) or recent bug that nobody had yet report.

• Like 1

I have also noticed some stuttering when destroying larger buildings or a radio tower. So definitely some heavy processing going on while the destruction unfolds

8 hours ago, old_painless said:

I have also noticed some stuttering when destroying larger buildings or a radio tower. So definitely some heavy processing going on while the destruction unfolds

Looks like the sinking in of buildings could use an oneachframe treatment.

Seems they only sink a fixed distance every N seconds, instead of a fluid sinking which can be achieved with calculations on every frame.

Cheers

On 12/07/2017 at 0:57 PM, Grumpy Old Man said:

Looks like the sinking in of buildings could use an oneachframe treatment.

Seems they only sink a fixed distance every N seconds, instead of a fluid sinking which can be achieved with calculations on every frame.

Cheers

I've noticed that as well. They fall in steps, rather than a smooth fall like you usually see.