Louder Direct Chat

Good day,

I would like to have the Arma 3 Direct Chat be louder, or at least independent of the Effects Slider without using an external voice system like TeamSpeak.

Is there a mod that can accomplish this?

Best regards,

Fros7bite

How exactly does this relate to mission editing and scripting?

As long as the in game slider for VON is all the way up there's only a few things to do:

Make sure system volume is all the way up, it's surprising how many folks have this slider sitting at 10-30% and crank up their amp/headphone amp, hello clipping, goodbye speakers!

Make sure all enhancements in windows -> sound -> properties -> enhancements are off, they are usually enabled by default (at least from what I've seen) and can do some really weird unwanted stuff to the audio signal like cloning channels in 5.1 and whatnot, I've seen (heard) all

Also make sure the folks talking to you have their mics turned all the way up.

You'd need to consider that arma has a pretty good loudness representation in terms of dynamic range.

Talking in game and firing a gun pretty much reflect how it is in reality.

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

How exactly does this relate to mission editing and scripting?

As long as the in game slider for VON is all the way up there's only a few things to do:

Make sure system volume is all the way up, it's surprising how many folks have this slider sitting at 10-30% and crank up their amp/headphone amp, hello clipping, goodbye speakers!

Make sure all enhancements in windows -> sound -> properties -> enhancements are off, they are usually enabled by default (at least from what I've seen) and can do some really weird unwanted stuff to the audio signal like cloning channels in 5.1 and whatnot, I've seen (heard) all

Also make sure the folks talking to you have their mics turned all the way up.

You'd need to consider that arma has a pretty good loudness representation in terms of dynamic range.

Talking in game and firing a gun pretty much reflect how it is in reality.

Cheers

Roger that, thank you!

fact is direct channel is much lower in volume than vehicle channel for example

+1 for louder direct channel

VON does not change volume of direct. It is changed in 'effects' as OP stated.

Also what gagi2 said. The thread was about making direct louder than other sounds than it is. No answer has been provided on that topic yet.

2 hours ago, -VTH- CG-Delta said:

VON does not change volume of direct. It is changed in 'effects' as OP stated.

Also what gagi2 said. The thread was about making direct louder than other sounds than it is. No answer has been provided on that topic yet.

And you resurrected this topic to point that out?

No answer has been provided because there is likely no scripting solution. 

The other channels are louder because they are radio channels. Direct is unassisted voice.

Is this a case of "realism" getting in the way of user comfort/convenience? Probably. Here are some feedback tickets to add your voice to:
Query: direct voice volume

I don't know if you see a thread with a recent reply, as a reopened court case that requires a full attention and procedures to be done over again. *optional rant incoming* (-that requires an answer fast, no matter how poor, so it can be closed in order to move on. Yes the answer was poor. It wasn't a solution to the problem, but a "how to cope with your life, when you have that problem", giving wrong info on the way and provokingly asking OP "how this is scripting related", which is throwing OP's question right back at him: "Can it be solved with mission scripting")

I see a thread as a string of information constantly available to those who search the topic, independent of when it was created, and when I see wrong information I think it is fitting for it to be corrected.

Besides, the thread shouldn't have been closed in the first place. Invade&Annex for example use an ear plug script separating the volume control of 'direct' from other effects, which are lowered independenty. That is an example of a possible mission editing solution to OP's problem.

All "earplug" scripts I have seen, including ACE and MykeyRM's scripts for I&A, use fadeSound. It does reduce effect sound without reducing direct voice, and I suppose you could put together some sort of workaround that involves allowing the client to set their own fadeSound value which they then would have to balance by turning up their effects volume, but that's kind of dangerous as it doesn't follow the player out of the mission/server where the script is running.

This is really something that needs to be addressed at a higher level by the devs. Again, I direct your attention to the relevant feedback tickets linked above.

Also, I don't know if you've seen the forum guidelines, but here they are.

In particular:

No spam or advertising:

Advertising of any commercial or personal project, product or service on these forums is not permitted. Chain letters and pyramid schemes are similarly prohibited. This includes the Personal Message service and clan recruitment outside of the Clan Recruitment forum. Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. Please do not post duplicate threads in more than one forum and do not "Bump" threads. Posting "any news", "is it out yet" or asking for a release date type posts are also spam.

You provided no new information, thereby "bumping."