I hope this is the correct section to post this ;  i would like to know if there is the possibility to enhance and optimise Picture in Picture (PIP) in general, for vehicles, body cams  and most importantly (for me) SCOPES.

As many know in the RHS mod there is the ability to enable PIP scopes, unfortunately it doesn't look that great, i believe this is because the game is not optmised for PIP in general, but if you could work on an update, enhancing PIP graphics and optimising it for FPS drops that would be GREAT. (and appreciated by the whole community)

Having PIP scopes (that work propperly) would personally enhance the realism and the feel in general.

Thank You.

• Like 1

The scope limits have been known for years. Enhanced PIP is a big feature for an engine already a few years old. So don´t count on it. Maybe in the next game.

^^^ Not to mention that PiP is optional and can be switched off from the settings

22 hours ago, joostsidy said:

The scope limits have been known for years. Enhanced PIP is a big feature for an engine already a few years old. So don´t count on it. Maybe in the next game.

Meanwhile 18yo Quake 3 Arena engine can handle it ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danny96 said:

Meanwhile 18yo Quake 3 Arena engine can handle it ..

If by "handle it" you mean cut down your FPS drastically even tho the maps are the size of your nail clipping with the amount of enemies you can count on your fingers after you were in a horrible tablesaw accident and simulation complexity of counting sheep in bed, then yes, it handles it really well.

• Like 6

Picture in Picture is rendering technique. Like all tech it can be improved to boost performance. I saw one example in

star citizen MFDs. I think PiP tech was implemented in RV4 in the year of 2013 and ever since then I don't remember being improved.

• Like 1

I'm not saying it can't be improved, I just would be very surprised if BI now starts work on it. And even though no one disagrees with a better feature, I think a large part of the community would be surprised and maybe annoyed that work has started on this and not other aspects of the game that cover more of the core gameplay of Arma 3.

I do agree that the current PIP technology seems rough. It's probably wat en3x said, that it has been implemented but hardly been improved upon from the start. A bit of a neglected part of the game.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joostsidy said:

I'm not saying it can't be improved, I just would be very surprised if BI now starts work on it. And even though no one disagrees with a better feature, I think a large part of the community would be surprised and maybe annoyed that work has started on this and not other aspects of the game that cover more of the core gameplay of Arma 3.

I do agree that the current PIP technology seems rough. It's probably wat en3x said, that it has been implemented but hardly been improved upon from the start. A bit of a neglected part of the game.

It's kinda typical for arma and game development in general.

New features get introduced, put on the shelf as an accomplishment and barely get touched afterwards.

Taking a look at A3, they introduced PiP for mirrors, made it possible to render to texture (put an in game camera output on a billboard or lcd screen) and called it a day.

Current gen GPUs are powerful as hell, I'm sure my 1080 has no problems using render distances above 2km for the PiP image, similar to being showcased in this video.

There are plenty of other neglected parts but lets leave it at that.

Cheers

• Like 4

i'm not saying they should spend all their enegry on develpoing a better PIP, but in the next update they could start from that, for example: in the RHS mod ACOG scopes when switched to PIP, the scope becomes drastically darker, (doing the opposite of what an ACOG scope should do) if they just made it better, maybe adding more options such as brightness and what not it would add that something many games dont have, although we have seen perfectly working PIP scopes on insurgency, which is on the source engine.

I have no idea how PIP works, but i am sure they can do something to make it look and work better, who knows.... maybe even making it stress on the GPU instead of the CPU.

On 7/8/2017 at 10:48 PM, Edward Eman. said:

i'm not saying they should spend all their enegry on develpoing a better PIP, but in the next update they could start from that, for example: in the RHS mod ACOG scopes when switched to PIP, the scope becomes drastically darker, (doing the opposite of what an ACOG scope should do) if they just made it better, maybe adding more options such as brightness and what not it would add that something many games dont have, although we have seen perfectly working PIP scopes on insurgency, which is on the source engine.

I have no idea how PIP works, but i am sure they can do something to make it look and work better, who knows.... maybe even making it stress on the GPU instead of the CPU.

direct your time & energy elsewhere :)

Any way to do PiP with the gun at your side like John Wayne and the scope image in the corner?