bmb

Water Downgrade

I probably should have posted this when apex was announced. But whatever, here I am.

Apex upgraded the graphics. Overall a good thing. But the water looks less realistic than it did before. It has become more reflective and pale. Here's a shot comparing the difference:

mU3FsIi.jpg

And here's the problem: in reality the top is more accurate. The sea on a sunny day appears super blue against the sky. Reflections are also not easily seen in the sea because the waves create a very rough surface which scatters any possible reflections at a distance. Reflections are only visible up close.

Boats.jpg

You can also notice the sky has been made much less saturated. This is also unrealistic. It makes the sky look cold and northern. And not warm and southern. I know people complain endlessly about these things but it's clear these people have never been anywhere near greece. The way the game looked at launch was absolutely 100% realistic. Nights included. It was very cool to see it and I'm very disappointed that BIS caved.

I can't agree. The blueness of the water is due to two things, the depth of the water and the angle the sunlight strikes it. In your RL picture the water is deep and the sun is behind the camera. Also, in the game, the picture is taken from a shallow angle, hiding the water depth. The RL pic is traken from higher up, looking down. Lastly, I suspect the RL picture has been touched up in post.

• Like 4

Like I said, you haven't been anywhere near greece. So you don't know what it looks like. Maybe you should have taken advantage of the good weather last week and gone to the beach, you'd see much the same thing on any UK beach in high summer.

15 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

I can't agree. The blueness of the water is due to two things, the depth of the water and the angle the sunlight strikes it. In your RL picture the water is deep and the sun is behind the camera. Also, in the game, the picture is taken from a shallow angle, hiding the water depth. The RL pic is traken from higher up, looking down. Lastly, I suspect the RL picture has been touched up in post.

Not only is the RL picture saturation/contrast adjusted, the "2016" picture isn't even what it currently looks like ingame, water reflections can be turned off if you don't like them, and contrast/saturation can be adjusted in game as well to your liking. Tweaking with some ingame settings you can get the similar oversaturated blues, oranges and greens as in the RL picture. I've lived on the Mediterranean coast for 6 years, and I'd never claim that RL picture looks accurate.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bmb said:

Like I said, you haven't been anywhere near greece. So you don't know what it looks like.

Apart from living on Cyprus for three years, you mean?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sniperwolf572 said:

Not only is the RL picture saturation/contrast adjusted, the "2016" picture isn't even what it currently looks like ingame, water reflections can be turned off if you don't like them, and contrast/saturation can be adjusted in game as well to your liking. Tweaking with some ingame settings you can get the similar oversaturated blues, oranges and greens as in the RL picture. I've lived on the Mediterranean coast for 6 years, and I'd never claim that RL picture looks accurate.

We're not at all talking about the colours. I'd very much appreciate if you'd read before posting. Thank you.

You are right about reflection scatter. The sea surface in arma is never calm enough to produce reflections like we see in the game.

1 hour ago, bmb said:

Like I said, you haven't been anywhere near greece. So you don't know what it looks like. Maybe you should have taken advantage of the good weather last week and gone to the beach, you'd see much the same thing on any UK beach in high summer.

Arrogance at its finest!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bmb said:

We don't need those sort of flame-baiting comments, as a new member of the forums please take time to read the forum rules. And please think before posting.

• Like 1

Even though bmb weakens his case with a processed photo and saying 'you haven't been anywhere near greece' to people he has never met, I do agree about the water.

- Even though the new reflections look pretty, they always looked unrealistic to me because I did not think I had seen these in real life. I think its because of the choppiness of ocean (like others have said) that you won't get these reflections. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this.

- With the old lighting / sea system, I had more of an immersive feeling, the feeling of looking at 'real' mediterranean water, the same feeling I get when looking at this type of water on my holidays. It's hard to pinpoint the reason but I feel it has to do with the lighting of land should be a little bit desaturated, not overly coloured, whereas water and sky can be relatively more saturated. I wish we had visual controls to tweak this (you can only tweak saturation for all the terrain aspects).

On 02/07/2017 at 9:29 AM, bmb said:

The sea on a sunny day appears super blue against the sky.

21 hours ago, bmb said:

We're not at all talking about the colours. I'd very much appreciate if you'd read before posting. Thank you.

:)

21 hours ago, bmb said:

Reflections are also not easily seen in the sea because the waves create a very rough surface which scatters any possible reflections at a distance. Reflections are only visible up close.

As has been pointed out, reflections can be disabled to your taste.

21 hours ago, bmb said:

You can also notice the sky has been made much less saturated. This is also unrealistic. It makes the sky look cold and northern. And not warm and southern. I know people complain endlessly about these things but it's clear these people have never been anywhere near greece. The way the game looked at launch was absolutely 100% realistic. Nights included. It was very cool to see it and I'm very disappointed that BIS caved.

I think it's less about BIS "caving" and more about their new lighting procedure. Did you take your screenshots in a hot time of year? Maybe that'll have some effect, maybe not.

3 minutes ago, dmarkwick said:

As has been pointed out, reflections can be disabled to your taste.

Not an argument.

17 minutes ago, bmb said:

Not an argument.

Not an argument against what? That you think reflections are unrealistic? It's not realistic to see your position on the map - you can disable it. It's not realistic to see how much ammo you have left in your weapon - you can disable it. It's one of many things you can tweak to get your realistic scenario.

You have some problem - it can be solved. I don't see the problem.

• Like 3

I'll explain it slowly then. First of all, just turning off one setting doesn't return the graphics to looking as realistic as they did. Second, not having any reflections is actually unrealistic, but as I said, they should only be visible up close and fade out as the waves scatter them in the distance. Calmer seas are more reflective.

1 hour ago, bmb said:

I'll explain it slowly then.

Oh OK you're one of those guys :)

Good luck beating your face against the internet :)

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, dmarkwick said:

Oh OK you're one of those guys :)

Good luck beating your face against the internet :)

He may as well enjoy it while it lasts. Greece so broke it can hardly keep the lights on. The Internet be getting switched off over there soon. I believe devs spent alot of time over in Greece. Although I don't know if they had sea views from their jail cells :D ( it's not still to soon to joke about this right? )  

See bmb? This is why mods are noting flame baiting from you. It won't bring about a good answer. Just bring the thread to a sharp spiral downward.

There is a thread that deals with the visual upgrade. What you speak about falls directly into that.

2 minutes ago, teabagginpeople said:

There is a thread that deals with the visual upgrade. What you speak about falls directly into that.

Indeed there is, and it can be found here: 

Closing.