Does anyone know how to remove the removal of tracks from tanks?

I believe  this can only be done for simple objects and doesn't just remove tracks it removes all the wheels and gears.

to see all the parts that you can hide place this in vehicles init

hint str selectionNames this;

then to make something hidden choose the part from the list and place it in the hideSelection command

this hideSelection ["track_r_hit",true];

By " how to remove the removal of tracks "... do you mean, "how to keep the tracks from disappaearing after a few seconds"?

I've been working on a similar problem with keeping footprints persistent.  I'm guessing vehicle tracks work like footprint tracks.  See thread link below, it may help.  It requires some work to do though.

In the thread, we came up with 2 solutions:

1. Find track near unit, and disableSimulation on it.  The track will then not disappear.  But, a player must be near the track, or the engine won't bother making the track (ie., this method only works for persisting tracks near player units).

2. @HallyG created the footprint's as simple objects using their .P3Ds.   This requires tweaking his code to place tank tracks at proper intervals relative to tank.  With this method, you can make permanent tracks for any unit.  It has one problem though, the footprint track is dark black and really stands out in any terrain.  Tank tracks created as simple objects may have same problem.  Tracks created by the engine are nicely faded, and look different on different terrain (i.e., roads, dirt, etc.)

You would have to find the P3D name for the tank track.

• Like 1

On 02.07.2017 at 5:59 PM, johnnyboy said:

By " how to remove the removal of tracks "... do you mean, "how to keep the tracks from disappaearing after a few seconds"?

I've been working on a similar problem with keeping footprints persistent.  I'm guessing vehicle tracks work like footprint tracks.  See thread link below, it may help.  It requires some work to do though.

In the thread, we came up with 2 solutions:

1. Find track near unit, and disableSimulation on it.  The track will then not disappear.  But, a player must be near the track, or the engine won't bother making the track (ie., this method only works for persisting tracks near player units).

2. @HallyG created the footprint's as simple objects using their .P3Ds.   This requires tweaking his code to place tank tracks at proper intervals relative to tank.  With this method, you can make permanent tracks for any unit.  It has one problem though, the footprint track is dark black and really stands out in any terrain.  Tank tracks created as simple objects may have same problem.  Tracks created by the engine are nicely faded, and look different on different terrain (i.e., roads, dirt, etc.)

You would have to find the P3D name for the tank track.

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dimon said:

Thanks!!!

You're welcome!  It looks great.

How about posting your exact script so the next guy can benefit from it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

You're welcome!  It looks great.

How about posting your exact script so the next guy can benefit from it?

remade

_d=[player] spawn 
{ 
    params["_man"];
    while {alive _man} do
    {
        {
            hint format ["surfaceType=%1",surfaceType getpos _man];
            if (typeOf _x == "#mark") then {_x enableSimulation false;};
        } foreach (nearestObjects [_man, [], 3]);
        sleep 1;
    };
};

on

_d=[player] spawn 
{ 
    params["_man"];
    while {alive _man} do
    {
        {
            if (typeOf _x == "#track") then {_x enableSimulation false;};
        } foreach (nearestObjects [_man, [], 3]);
        sleep 1;
    };
};

• Like 3

Out of curiosity-- how much would that affect performance after a while? I mean, if you never remove the tracks, wouldn't it clog up at some point?

8 hours ago, lexx said:

Out of curiosity-- how much would that affect performance after a while? I mean, if you never remove the tracks, wouldn't it clog up at some point?

Good question.  They take resources, so eventually it would be a problem.  In my footprint case, I plan on a very narrow usage where I only enable persisting of footprints for a unit that will be followed/tracked by a player (for added realism/ambience while tracking).  And I could progressively delete the foot prints after player has already passed them by

@dimon, why are you persisting tank tracks?  For added realism? 

If saving them starts impacting performance, you could always add them to an array with a timestamp per track,. Then you could delete the oldest ones over time (delete each track after it exists for X minutes).

• Like 1

On 7/4/2017 at 9:47 AM, johnnyboy said:

In my footprint case, I plan on a very narrow usage where I only enable persisting of footprints for a unit that will be followed/tracked by a player (for added realism/ambience while tracking).  And I could progressively delete the foot prints after player has already passed them by

Curious to know if you were able to get this working. I was looking for the same effect in MP mission on dedicated server...players follow AI foot traffic on a trail.

Your Combat Up Down is one of my favorites;)

9 hours ago, Soapbox0331 said:

Curious to know if you were able to get this working. I was looking for the same effect in MP mission on dedicated server...players follow AI foot traffic on a trail.

Hey SB.  See this thread.  In it are 2 possible solutions for persisting footprints.  One is by HallyG and it creates the footprints, but they are always dark black, so look funny on dirt or sand.  The other requires the footprint being persisted be created near a player as the engine doesn't create footprints for AI if there is no player near to see them.  But I had the idea that you could script to collect footprints created near player and then move them to wherever the trail is supposed to be.

In your mission, if the unit you are tracking is a player, then the 2nd method should work as is.

You might also be interested in the flattened grass trail discussion.  It also has a problem where grass stays flattened only for about 90 seconds.  This could be overcome by recording the positions of the trail, and activating the grass masher to occur at positions within X meters of the player.  Alas, it takes more work.

And finally in JBOY_Dog, I also periodically drop small objects in the trail for player to see (bullet object, water bottle, soda can, pencil, etc.)