datrust

WIll they ever optimize it?

I think it has been 4 Years since release and still on the most servers you get like EVERYTHING under 60 FPS in towns?

I have a good setup and always had the most recent CPU/GPU in the last 4 Years and the FPS was always the same...

So are you ever going to Optimize the game?

• Like 1

"Will they (consumers) ever stop worrying about FPS and just play the damn game"

• Like 1

I think this is a reasonable expectation. ARMA 3 can get away with poor performance (and general incompleteness) because it has no competitors. It is the only military simulation game in it's class.

Let's look at a class of games that attempt realism, but not on the scale of ARMA 3. Examples are the Red Orchestra and Rising Storm series, Verdun, and the Operation Flashpoint series. All of those games are well optimized for PC and easily surpass 60 hertz on a computer that meets optimal requirements. None of those developers could release their game with performance issues as severe as ARMA 3's. Fans of this type of game have other options and would likely refund their game if they pulled 40 herts or less in multiplayer. Thus those games run well.

If you want to play ARMA 3 at a smooth frame rate, I recommend that you host your own servers and organize small operations with a small group (MCC makes this very easy).

So, let's just be clear about "optimizing it".

In most games, everything is scripted when AI is involved. (Think campaign models in AAA games).

In the multiplayer component, there are almost no games which can support such large amounts of both AI and players. Red Orchestra has AI, but not to the same extent of players. 

When we talk about Arma, there are plenty of problems with optimzing something where you can't predict what's going to happen, especially in a game with an extensive scripting system, etc etc. So, I'm not making excuses, but the game is already MUCH better than it has been, and even to some extent better than Arma 2 before the 1.53 patch.

Again, optimization is quite dependent on the mission so, AI, vehicles, static objects (a bit), etc etc. So, they work on small changes all the time. Also, the server's FPS is very important, so it's a complicated issue.

In conclusion, a "when will they optimize" post doesn't look at the full range of considerations as to why that works. Servers, missions, and game coding are ALL important. 

• Like 2