Sign in to follow this  
Bloodshot_Pico

Modding Question

Hello,

so I'm not sure if I should be asking modding questions here but I'm sure someone will tell me off, if this is the wrong place to ask these questions.

But recently I've gotten into the modding part of ArmA and I have a few questions, my first being; "What do you have to do to have your name in the (by Unknown Author) section?"

I have author in the mod.cpp file for the mod and it still says by unknown author.

My second question is that I'm planning on making other packs for example Uniform pack, Helmets pack, Vests Pack etc. I was wondering if that is a good idea or not? Or if I should just pack them all up as one single mod? Another thing is if I was to do it the separate pack version and not the one big mod version would I be able to call other items from the other packs? For example if I wanted to call a Helmet from the Uniforms pack etc. How would I do that if it's a good idea?

Thanks for reading and helping in advance. I have some other questions I'd like to ask but I'll post them in another topic when I get a little more information on them.

- Blood

I'll let someone else tackle the Unknown author question. Although posting the config might help people identify any potential problems.

If you split up your content you can simply update a particular pbo when it's changed. So the users aren't forced to re-download a big package all over again for a small addition or edit.

You could have a number of pbos referencing shared resources from a single source.  So if I had a weapon pbo, for example, I could have two or three infantry pbos in separate locations using it. Instead of incorporating them into each one. If I make a change to two of the weapon models, I can simply update the weapon pbo. But the infantry wouldn't need to be touched. As long as the class names being referenced remain unchanged.

Referencing class names from a source outside your local config is possible, and also handy.

Here is the code for the mod.cpp file that I have:

/// Name of your mod
name = "Dingletron Industries Uniforms Pack";
/// Author of the mod
author = "Dingletron Industries";
/// Picture displayed from the expansions menu/ Optimal size is 2048x1024, other sizes work too
picture = "back.paa"; 
/// Display next to the item added by the mod
/// logoSmall = "";
/// Logo displayed in the main menu
logo = "Logo.paa";
/// When the mouse is over, in the main menu
logoOver = "Logo.paa";
/// Website URL, that can accessed from the expansions menu
action = "https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFqpJEpl65UrTsHeFSTQisw";
/// Tool tip displayed when the mouse is left over, in the main menu
tooltipOwned = "DTI";
/// Color used for DLC stripes and backgrounds (RGBA)
dlcColor[] = 
{
};
/// Overview text, displayed from the extension menu
overview = "DTI Team";
/// Hide the extension name 
hideName = 0;
/// Hide the extension menu
hidePicture = 0;

Yeah that's kind of what I'm wanting to go with but I was wondering if you're talking about separate pbo's but within the same folder or different pbo's within different mod folders? And yeah I was thinking the same, I also like it because then people get to download different parts they're wanting instead of the entire mod.

1 hour ago, Bloodshot_Pico said:

But recently I've gotten into the modding part of ArmA and I have a few questions, my first being; "What do you have to do to have your name in the (by Unknown Author) section?"

I have author in the mod.cpp file for the mod and it still says by unknown author.

Have you put the author elements in your unit config file? As it needs to be in there as well. Otherwise any units you have created will show "unknown author"

3 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

Have you put the author elements in your unit config file? As it needs to be in there as well. Otherwise any units you have created will show "unknown author"

Are you talking about this part?

class Custom_Uniform_TShirt: B_soldier_F {
        author = "BloodshotPico"; 

2 minutes ago, Bloodshot_Pico said:

Are you talking about this part?

Yes i was. As this thread is now becoming more about the config etc. I will move it over to our editing forums section.

Could you please post up your config.cpp?

1 minute ago, R0adki11 said:

Yes i was. As this thread is now becoming more about the config etc. I will move it over to our editing forums section.

Ah okay, my first time posting so I had no idea where I was to put these questions.

Just now, Bloodshot_Pico said:

Ah okay, my first time posting so I had no idea where I was to put these questions.

No worries, could you please post up your config.cpp?

//************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
//*****        Patches                  *********************************************************************************************************************************************************
//************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
class CfgPatches 
{ 
    class DTI_config
    { 
        units[] = {"DTI_Mod";}; 
        weapons[] = {}; 
        requiredVersion = 0.1; 
        requiredAddons[] = {"A3_Characters_F"}; 
    }; 
}; 

//*****        Factions                  *********************************************************************************************************************************************************
class cfgFactionClasses 
{ 
    class DTI_Faction 
    { 
        displayName = "Dingletron"; 
        priority = 3; // Position in list. 
        side = 1; // Opfor = 0, Blufor = 1, Indep = 2. 
        icon = ""; //Custom Icon 
    };  
};

class CfgUnitInsignia
{
    class Custom_Insignia
    {
        displayName = "DTI Patch"; // Name displayed in Arsenal
        author = "BloodshotPico"; // Author displayed in Arsenal
        texture = "\DTI_Mod\UI\custom_patch_co.paa"; // Image path
        textureVehicle = ""; // Does nothing currently, reserved for future use
    };
}; 

class UniformSlotInfo 
{ 
    slotType = 0; 
    linkProxy = "-"; 
}; 

class CfgVehicles 
{     
    //*****             Units                *********************************************************************************************************************************************************
    class B_Soldier_F; 

class DTI_bapup_dv: B_soldier_F {
        _generalMacro = "B_soldier_F"; 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Soldier 1"; 
        identityTypes[] = {"Head_NATO", "G_NATO_default"}; 
        genericNames = "NATOMen"; 
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        model = "\A3\characters_f_beta\INDEP\ia_soldier_01.p3d"; //Default NATO 
        uniformClass = "DTI_bapup_1"; 
        hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo","Insignia"}; 
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"DTI_Mod\Data\bapup_dv_co.paa"};
        hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] = {"DTI_Mod\Data\custom_camo.rvmat"};  
         weapons[] = {"Throw","Put"}; 
        respawnWeapons[] = {"Throw","Put"}; 
        magazines[] = {"HandGrenade","HandGrenade","SmokeShell","SmokeShellGreen","Chemlight_green","Chemlight_green"}; 
        respawnMagazines[] = {"HandGrenade","HandGrenade","SmokeShell","SmokeShellGreen","Chemlight_green","Chemlight_green"};
        linkedItems[] = {"CUstom_Helmet1","Custom_Vest1","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"}; 
        respawnLinkedItems[] = {"CUstom_Helmet1","Custom_Vest1","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"}; 
    };

class DTI_bapup_lv: B_soldier_F {
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Soldier 2"; 
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        uniformClass = "DTI_bapup_2"; 
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"DTI_Mod\Data\bapup_lv_co.paa"};
        magazines[] = {"HandGrenade","HandGrenade","SmokeShell","SmokeShellGreen","Chemlight_green","Chemlight_green"}; 
        respawnMagazines[] = {"HandGrenade","HandGrenade","SmokeShell","SmokeShellGreen","Chemlight_green","Chemlight_green"};
        linkedItems[] = {"CUstom_Helmet1","Custom_Vest1","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"}; 
        respawnLinkedItems[] = {"CUstom_Helmet1","Custom_Vest1","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"}; 
    };

class DTI_bapul_lv: B_soldier_F {
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Soldier 3"; 
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        uniformClass = "DTI_bapul_2"; 
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"DTI_Mod\Data\bapul_lv_co.paa"};
    };

class DTI_bapul_dv: B_soldier_F {
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Soldier 4"; 
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        uniformClass = "DTI_bapul_1"; 
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"DTI_Mod\Data\bapul_dv_co.paa"};
    };

class DTI_barup_d: B_soldier_F {
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Soldier 4"; 
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        uniformClass = "DTI_barup"; 
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"DTI_Mod\Data\barup_co.paa"};
    };

class Custom_Uniform_SS: B_soldier_F {
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Team Leader"; 
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        model = "\A3\characters_f_beta\INDEP\ia_soldier_02.p3d"; //NATO Rolled Up Sleeves 
        uniformClass = "Custom_Camo_SS"; 
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\custom_camo_co.paa"}; 
        hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\custom_camo.rvmat"}; 
         weapons[] = {"arifle_TRG20_ACO_Flash_F","Throw","Put"}; 
        respawnWeapons[] = {"arifle_TRG20_ACO_Flash_F","Throw","Put"}; 
        linkedItems[] = {"CUstom_Helmet1","Custom_Vest2","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"}; 
        respawnLinkedItems[] = {"CUstom_Helmet1","Custom_Vest2","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"}; 
    };

scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Combat Life Saver"; 
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        model = "\A3\characters_f_gamma\Guerrilla\ig_guerrilla1_1.p3d"; //NATO Rolled Up Sleeves 
        uniformClass = "Custom_Camo_TShirt";
        backpack = "Custom_Backpack_Compact"; 
        hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo1","Camo2"}; 
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\tshirt_brown_co.paa","Custom_Uniform\Data\custom_camo_co.paa"}; 
        hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] = {"a3\characters_F\civil\data\c_cloth1.rvmat","Custom_Uniform\Data\custom_camo.rvmat"}; 
         weapons[] = {"arifle_TRG20_ACO_Flash_F","Throw","Put"}; 
        respawnWeapons[] = {"arifle_TRG20_ACO_Flash_F","Throw","Put"}; 
        linkedItems[] = {"CUstom_Helmet2","Custom_Vest3","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"}; 
        respawnLinkedItems[] = {"CUstom_Helmet2","Custom_Vest3","ItemMap","ItemCompass","ItemWatch","ItemRadio"}; 
    };

class B_AssaultPack_Base;

class Custom_Backpack_Compact: B_AssaultPack_Base {
        scope = 2;
        displayName = "Custom Backpack Compact";
        picture = "";
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\pack_compact_co.paa"};
    };

class LandVehicle;
    class B_G_Offroad_01_F;
    class B_G_Offroad_01_armed_F;
    class B_MRAP_01_F;
    class B_MRAP_01_HMG_F;
    class B_Heli_Light_01_F;
    class Custom_Offroad_F: B_G_Offroad_01_F
    {
        crew = "Custom_Uniform_TShirt";
        side = 1;
        scope = 2;
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        displayName = "Custom Offroad 4x4";
        hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo"};
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\offroad_base_co.paa"};
        class EventHandlers
        {
            init = "(_this select 0) setVariable [""BIS_enableRandomization"", false];";
        };  
    };
    class Custom_Offroad_HMG_F: B_G_Offroad_01_armed_F
    {
        side = 1;
        scope = 2;
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        displayName = "Custom Offroad 4x4 (HMG)";
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\offroad_base_co.paa"};
        class EventHandlers
        {
            init = "(_this select 0) setVariable [""BIS_enableRandomization"", false];";
        }; 
    };
    class Custom_Hunter_F: B_MRAP_01_F
    {
        side = 1;
        scope = 2;
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        displayName = "Custom M-ATV MRAP";
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\hunter_base_co.paa","Custom_Uniform\Data\hunter_adds_co.paa"};
    };
    class Custom_Hunter_HMG_F: B_MRAP_01_HMG_F
    {
        side = 1;
        scope = 2;
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        displayName = "Custom M-ATV MRAP (HMG)";
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\hunter_base_co.paa","Custom_Uniform\Data\hunter_adds_co.paa"};
    }; 
    class Custom_MH6: B_Heli_Light_01_F
    {
        side = 1;
        scope = 2;
        faction = "DTI_Faction";
        displayName = "Custom MH-6 Hummingbird";
        hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo1"};
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\hummingbird_base_co.paa"};
    };
};

class cfgWeapons 
{ 
    //********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    //*****            Uniforms              *****************************************************************************************************************************************************
    //********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    class ItemCore; 
    class UniformItem; 
    class Uniform_Base: ItemCore 
    { 
        class ItemInfo; 
    }; 

class DTI_bapup_1: Uniform_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Dark Purple Camo (Plain)"; 
        picture = "-"; 
        model = "\A3\characters_f_beta\INDEP\ia_soldier_01.p3d"; 
        class ItemInfo : UniformItem { 
            uniformClass = "DTI_bapup_lv"; 
            containerClass = "Supply60"; 
            mass = 50; 
        }; 
    }; 
    class DTI_bapup_2: Uniform_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Darker Purple Camo (Plain)"; 
        picture = "-"; 
            uniformClass = "DTI_bapup_dv"; 
            mass = 50; 
        }; 
    }; 
    class DTI_bapul_1: Uniform_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Darker Purple Camo (Logo)"; 
        picture = "-"; 
            uniformClass = "DTI_bapul_dv"; 
            mass = 50; 
        }; 
    }; 
    class DTI_bapul_2: Uniform_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Dark Purple Camo (Logo)"; 
        picture = "-"; 
            uniformClass = "DTI_bapul_lv"; 
            mass = 50; 
        }; 
    }; 
    class DTI_barup: Uniform_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Black And Red Camo (Digital)"; 
        picture = "-"; 
            uniformClass = "DTI_barup_d"; 
            mass = 50; 
        }; 
    }; 
    class Custom_Camo_SS: Uniform_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Camo (Rolled Sleeves)"; 
        picture = "-"; 
        model = "\A3\characters_f_beta\INDEP\ia_soldier_02.p3d"; 
            uniformClass = "Custom_Uniform_SS"; 
            containerClass = "Supply50"; 
            mass = 50; 
        }; 
    }; 
    class Custom_Camo_TShirt: Uniform_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Camo (T-Shirt)"; 
        picture = "-"; 
        model = "\A3\characters_f_gamma\Guerrilla\ig_guerrilla1_1.p3d"; 
            uniformClass = "Custom_Uniform_TShirt"; 
            containerClass = "Supply30"; 
            mass = 35; 
        }; 
    }; 

//*****             Vests                *********************************************************************************************************************************************************
    class VestItem; 
    class Vest_Camo_Base: ItemCore 
    { 
        class ItemInfo; 
    }; 

class Custom_Vest1: Vest_Camo_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Platecarrier"; 
        picture = "-"; 
        model = "A3\Characters_F\BLUFOR\equip_b_Vest01"; 
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\custom_vest_co.paa"}; 
        class ItemInfo: VestItem 
        { 
            uniformModel = "A3\Characters_F\BLUFOR\equip_b_Vest01.p3d"; 
            containerClass = "Supply120"; 
            mass = 80; 
            armor = "5"; 
            passThrough = 0.3; 
            hiddenSelections[] = {"camo"}; 
        }; 
    };
    class Custom_Vest2: Vest_Camo_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Platecarrier Lite"; 
        picture = "-"; 
        model = "A3\Characters_F\BLUFOR\equip_b_Vest02"; 
        { 
            uniformModel = "A3\Characters_F\BLUFOR\equip_b_Vest02.p3d"; 
            mass = 80; 
            armor = "5"; 
            passThrough = 0.3; 
        }; 
    };
    class Custom_Vest3: Vest_Camo_Base 
    { 
        scope = 2; 
        displayName = "Custom Platecarrier Kerry"; 
        picture = "-"; 
        model = "A3\Charactrs_F_EPA\BLUFOR\equip_b_vest_kerry"; 
        { 
            uniformModel = "A3\Characters_F_EPA\BLUFOR\equip_b_vest_kerry.p3d"; 
            mass = 80; 
            armor = "5"; 
            passThrough = 0.3; 
        }; 
    };

//*****            Headgear              *********************************************************************************************************************************************************
    class H_HelmetB: ItemCore 
    { 
        class ItemInfo; 
    }; 

class CUstom_Helmet1: H_HelmetB
    {
        displayName = "Custom ECH SF";
        picture = "";
        model = "\A3\Characters_F\BLUFOR\headgear_b_helmet_ballistic";
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\Custom_Uniform\Data\custom_helmet_co.paa"};
        hiddenSelectionsMaterials[] = {"Custom_Uniform\Data\custom_helmet.rvmat"};
        class ItemInfo: ItemInfo
        {
            mass = 20;
            allowedSlots[] = {901,605};
            uniformModel = "\A3\Characters_F\BLUFOR\headgear_b_helmet_ballistic";
            modelSides[] = {3,1};
            armor = "3*0.4";
            passThrough = 0.65;
        };
    };
    class CUstom_Helmet2: H_HelmetB
    {
        displayName = "Custom ECH Lite";
        picture = "";
        model = "\A3\Characters_F\BLUFOR\headgear_b_helmet_light";
        hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\Custom_Uniform\Data\custom_helmet_co.paa"};
        class ItemInfo: ItemInfo
        {
            mass = 15;
            allowedSlots[] = {901,605};
            uniformModel = "\A3\Characters_F\BLUFOR\headgear_b_helmet_light";
            modelSides[] = {3,1};
            armor = "3*0.3";
            passThrough = 0.75;
        };
    };
}; 

Have you tried the author entry in the CfgPatches section?

As for referencing external, non local pbos. Yes you can, if you have the correct class names. Even if it's for another mod. As long as a referenced mod is loaded on game start, it should be available to your config. If you do reference another mod or addon, you should check with the original author anyway.

Although it's technically possible, they could have an issue with it. I don't know.  Most folks don't mind something like that though, as you're not actually modifying their content.

But the point is it's possible to reference PBOs not only in your own mod folder, but others too. 

If I'm wrong, I'm sure it'll be corrected. :smile_o:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Macser said:

Have you tried the author entry in the CfgPatches section?

As for referencing external, non local pbos. Yes you can, if you have the correct class names. Even if it's for another mod. As long as a referenced mod is loaded on game start, it should be available to your config. If you do reference another mod or addon, you should check with the original author anyway.

Although it's technically possible, they could have an issue with it. I don't know.  Most folks don't mind something like that though, as you're not actually modifying their content.

But the point is it's possible to reference PBOs not only in your own mod folder, but others too. 

If I'm wrong, I'm sure it'll be corrected. :smile_o:

Are you saying that the authors need to match? Both in the mod.cpp and config.cpp file?

And I was more thinking of just accessing my own mods rather than others but that's good to know thanks. :) 

Also lets say that one of the mods calls for something of another but the other mod isn't loaded, will that cause some errors?

Well I can't comment on the technicalities of it. But it would make sense to have some consistency. And Cfgpatches is arguably more important.

If a required class contained in an addon or mod is not loaded, it's not available to be called upon. I'd expect an error in that case.

• Like 1

So I switched the author lines to be the same thing and I am still getting the Unknown Author text. :/

MvhgXXfjTiO0YSqydAW7Ug.png

5 hours ago, Macser said:

Well I can't comment on the technicalities of it. But it would make sense to have some consistency. And Cfgpatches is arguably more important.

If a required class contained in an addon or mod is not loaded, it's not available to be called upon. I'd expect an error in that case.

Ah I see I thought as much, got to love those small pesky errors sitting in your logs. :)

You need to put the author definition in each of your classes, as it does not get inherited from base classes.

class DTI_barup : Uniform_Base { 
	scope = 2; 
	picture = "-"; 
		mass = 50; 
	}; 
}; 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_Apollo said:

You need to put the author definition in each of your classes, as it does not get inherited from base classes.

scope = 2; 
	picture = "-"; 
		mass = 50; 
	}; 
}; 

This fixed the issue thanks for the help. :D

On 6/29/2017 at 5:07 AM, UK_Apollo said:

scope = 2; 
	picture = "-"; 
		mass = 50; 
	}; 
}; 

I think, to be more accurate, it's the final class that counts. If you have a uniform base, for example, that has two final class entries (red, blue), and you put "Bloodshot" as the author of red, and "Pico" as the author of blue, and your dog's name as the author of the base, then nobody will ever see your dog's name, because it is not ever called by itself (assuming its scope is right). They will, however, see two (seemingly) different authors of blue and red. Change the scope value of each entry to affect its visibility in menus.