avibird 1

help with getting a group to stay out of formation at game start.

How do I keep a squad of units out of there formation at game start. If I placed down a group of units from the editor and placed them in a particular arrangement I want them to stay in the placement until the group is giving a  order/waypoint at some put in the mission however the group will always move into formation that was set in the editor by game default at game start.

Best to give the group a name and order them to stop by placing this in the leader init

grpblue=group this;{dostop _x} foreach units grpblue;

then when you need them to move

you will need to run the following from a trigger or addaction, if your the player you can just give them orders directly from the menus

{_x dofollow leader _x} foreach units grpblue;

• Like 1

Hey f2k sel  this is your old friend Avibird I lost my old account after one of the fourm updates hope to get it back soon.

The issues is when I use the do stop command the units really don't react well to the environment if the squad is on there own. I have multiple squads for a single player mission or coop play using team switch. Each squad had their role in the mission. I have a squad coming a shore in landing crafts however they are placed in crafts from the editor but at  mission start they are all in the water except a few. 

If the squad is own it's on holding a position and no human player is in command the squad will move out of formation to find targets using the fire at will command from editor setup. When I use the do stop the units sit there like ducks most of the time.

After all this time you would think Bohemia would give a formation that would use editor place positions at mission start. ? If you think of something else please let me know. Avibird

1 hour ago, Mr. Birdman said:

After all this time you would think Bohemia would give a formation that would use editor place positions at mission start.

I would love to see an implementation similar to the custom formation code that exists in VBS, i used that almost exclusively for formations. 

However, if doStop and doFollow aren't working out for you for whatever reason, there's also _unit disableAI/enableAI "PATH" but, as with doStop, this will have them hold their position. 

HI AV, sorry I didn't notice who was posting actually I was just reading a question of yours in an old post  that went unanswered. About enabling support on radio after teamswitch.

Anyway as Beno_83au says we now have the  disableAI "PATH" which stops them from wondering off but all other animations should remain intact.

just substitute  dostop for disableAI

grpblue=group this;{_x disableAI "path"} foreach units grpblue;
{_x enableAI "path";_x dofollow leader _x} foreach units grpblue; 

You probably don't need the dofollow command but it won't hurt.

• Like 2

setUnloadInCombat worked great for me.  See this post: 

I wrote a mission where pirates sat in their boats until triggered to move.  They would not dismount until boat was damaged, but they would return fire.