Sign in to follow this  
eriktrak

Arma 3 - EUTW

I haven't found topic about EUTW (http://www.eutw.net/) which is a great coop game mode. Which is quite strange as I think this is one of the best public community and the gameplay shows the strength of the Arma.

Here you can utilize all the assets, islands available in vanilla Arma, and its now including the shiny Malden as well!

Servers are well maintained and development is continuous. I suggest everyone to check who like tactical gameplay but have no time to join private groups. 

The EUTW servers are really great and well optimized, I love them too. Strongly Malden versions, as good as those of Tanoa.
Do you know if they have fully infantry versions? It's been a long time that I have not had the opportunity to play on it.

(google trad :'( )

52 minutes ago, MTW_Der_Kroi said:

Do you know if they have fully infantry versions? It's been a long time that I have not had the opportunity to play on it.

Now there is Lite mode, where focus is set onto infantry combat. Althought there still is possibility to buy vehicles, arsenal is limited (up to APCs and multifunctional helicopters like Orca and Hellcat) and vehicle prices are way higher.

For me EUTW is a greatest gamemod in Arma and I'm bit confused that it's not populated like KOTH for example. It's a best mix of both hardcore and public gameplay and shows almost all aspects of Arma 3.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, likbjorn said:

Now there is Lite mode, where focus is set onto infantry combat. Althought there still is possibility to buy vehicles, arsenal is limited (up to APCs and multifunctional helicopters like Orca and Hellcat) and vehicle prices are way higher.

For me EUTW is a greatest gamemod in Arma and I'm bit confused that it's not populated like KOTH for example. It's a best mix of both hardcore and public gameplay and shows almost all aspects of Arma 3.

Fully agree with you on this. I have no idea why not getting more focus this game mode from Bohemia. So far I found this game mode the best I played with. Maybe closed private servers can bring similar experience (however I never played on such).

Here you have to adopt the scenario and no simple solution. And even the lost battle can be turned. 

Anyone remembers the slogan of the single player campaign? Survive, adapt, win. Here you can experience.

• Like 1

The main thing is that EUTW is first person camera only. And that discourage plenty of players.

Versions with 3rd person could help to improve the mission popularity

18 hours ago, esfumato said:

The main thing is that EUTW is first person camera only. And that discourage plenty of players.

Then eventually EUTW is left with one first person server which is never populated. I hope they stick to their guns.

On 7/6/2017 at 7:26 PM, esfumato said:

In the current setup 3rd person is kind of a hack. In case the enemies would be displayed only when they are in the line of sight that is a different question (like in the X-COM series).

• Like 1

Third person camera view. No no no
I do not go to the servers when there is a third party view available.
Turn on your opponent's tag view and play like kids in kindergarten. Shame!
This is drama and tragedy. The quality and level of players of ArmaA 3 has been rapidly declining for several years.
((

Spoiler

This was my FOB. Unfortunately children came here because they had a numerical advantage.

sDzmCrrt.gif

I like this notification from the OFP game - 3rd person viev OFF

zENidUwt.png

I view the 3rd person view only tolerate in some situations.

• Like 2

Is not about having all the servers with 3rd. Person. Is just to have one of them and make the mission more popular.

And you can change the options everytime you want.

Why do you think 3rd person is that important that it would make the mission more popular?

I really don't understand this 3rd person mode...FOV is better that's understandable. But I found 3rd person view good only for hack and slash type games.

Created a new tutorial both for beginners and experienced players:

Some updates about EUTW!

Q2 status report release with some mixed news: https://www.eutw.net/latest-news/2018/3/30/q2-status-report

Now they have 2 servers only. However the number of players per server increased compared to the previous situation.

After the Tank DLC is out now a new update reached the EUTW servers too. Check here: http://wiki.eutw.net/index.php/Change_Logs#Version_2.07.05

One of my favorite gamemodes, the only problem i see is when the battle is stuck and its so hard to advance with vehicles cause there are too many anti vehicle tools.

Another bump for this game mode. I've played a fair bit of KotH and going to CTI/EUTW was a natural step up. I still play mostly KotH but this is a very good take at accessible combined arms.

Besides being slightly more HC, what makes this game mode stand out in comparison to KotH is the action focused on the control points. No more walking through ghost towns - if you can't find the enemy near the flag, the enemy sure will find you. Also there is a logical progression to the war with the frontline advancing as one control point is lost (captured) after another. Last but not least, the battlefield is not an endless small town but control points tend to be small military depots or remote villages - with a fair deal of action dispersed to the wilderness as mobile spawn points can be freely located and most of the time, teams want to hide them well. 

I've been away from CTI for several months but yesterday I had a nice 20-30 min run with the pawnee. Was targeted by missiles only twice - the second time it was a shikra and I went down in flames. The shikra died shortly after for some proper justice thanks to a friendly AA tank - mostly it seems our AA pawnee was taking out the air threats.

If you know how to keep your heli alive the game mode can be a good entry point to the real battlefield. The slow trickle of funds will guarantee a modest vehicle threat of all sorts - with crews of all skill levels. With the pawnee you pay for reloads so there is little risk of endless rocket spam either.

Locating targets is still an issue as few people seem to equip laser pointers or know how to coordinate with helicopter CAS. In CTI a particular downside is the risk of hitting friendly troops, for some reason they like to cluster inside the control point circles :f:

To my delight it seems there's been a few changes to ARMA (and the game mode) to allow slightly more breathing space for pawnee pilots. But much more probably could be done to allow more vehicle play and improve the experience of the game mode:

1) Vehicles tend to be expensive, thus people save up money, buy the thing and when it (soon) gets blown up it's back to infantry centric play with fighting over the control points and mobile spawns. Alternative methods of billing should be explored - for example the real cost of a pawnee already is not in the purchase but ammunition and maintenance. Although ammo is slightly too expensive - few people use laser pointers so you can't concentrate on your targets - it can be a good idea because the helicopter could be cheap and allow near-constant access to any competent pilot.

2) Jeeps don't get used much, including this game mode. In Battlefield 2 they saw regular usage thanks to game design and jeeps being somewhat overpowered - in ARMA, infantry can hide easily while gunners on most jeeps are not protected and thus are vulnerable to snipers and whatnot. Also their HMGs are quite ineffective against pawnees and other helicopters. However I feel they should be an ubiquitous support asset to every army since they could be an affordable counter to infantry. To address lethality, their cost could simply be lowered to balance it. And the transport role could be boosted - in KotH they serve a considerable role in getting you to the battlefield, though most players just prefer the helicopters because they let you parachute to your death faster.

Could we increase the number of flag areas and make capture faster - thus it would make sense to drive around with a jeep and a bunch of friends taking over one point after another, BF2 style? Or would it just make the fights smaller/dispersed and have other undesirable gameplay effects like the fight being over when you've deployed properly with your kit and stuff? With the current setup, players are driven to use the heavier / arbitrary mechanisms of travel: fast travel (teleport) and the mobile HQ spawn points, decreasing somewhat from teamplay and authenticy.

3) Like many other games, ARMA3 seems to display an "apex predator syndrome" where vehicle play is biased towards the high-end vehicles, namely tanks, tigris, kajman and especially jets. The Tanks DLC surprisingly brought some relief with lighter IFVs introduced - perhaps they should be given a discount price until more people learn to use them on the battlefield? 

4) The pawnee has a special niche in being very agile and easy to fly. Yet it's available only to blufor and takes away from the fun of other faction players. Perhaps the pawnee should be given a universal role in each faction's arsenal, but possibly with a limited selection of loadouts. The orca and lynx could be more heavily armed helicopters for more seasoned pilots.

5) Selection of the guns in the game mode is quite modest, I think that puts off many infantry players. I guess there is a reason for this, but I can't figure out why the selection is so limited.