Sign in to follow this  
Kumeda

Birds of the Mediterranean- limitation of soundfiles ?

Hi everyone, at the moment I'm trying out some stuff out in the editor ..potentially creating a mission at the end. I got a little bit astray while doing so. Basically I'm trying to add some coustom bird sounds as I was always a little bored with the ambiente sound with birds especially . Im using the CfgSFX class for this at the moment in combination with createSoundsource. My question is related to the sound file size in particular as I have read that there is like a 50K limit. I'm not sure so if this is not related to some other situation..after all I want this to be part of a mission (MP) or potentially to be a mod if this will ever reach such state. The reason is simply that many bird songs are sometimes a little to long to cut them under this limit at a decent quality.

Besides that my current approach is to spawn sound sources in some distance to the player on certain places found with selectBestplaces, which will be deleted when the player reached a certain distance so that new soundsources can be spawned again. My ultimate goal would be to place those sounds depending on the flora, time of day, time of the year...depending on what I can gather from the internet. Maybe someone of you has even a better idea how to get them in? For example it is not really possible to adjust the volume of the sounds played on the fly. And I'm not sure the current methode is the best.

anyway thanks to anyone that can answer my first question and whoever might have a good other idea how to approach this :)

greetings

I've written a few mods that spawn different ambient sounds around the player. You can define them in cfgsounds or cfgmusic and play them with playsound3d at selected points around the player - for instance you could scan for nearby trees to spawn bird noises. Using this method there's no size limit, so you can have bird songs of several minutes if you want.

So that 50k sound limit I remember was indeed in some other case ..that's good to know!

Thanks for the input. I wil think about the playsound3d option ..it defently has the advantage of adjustablesound volume ... on the other hand it has the disatventage that a sound are always containing of one selected file. Meaning more work to handcraft :>... time to experiment. Thanks again !