Sign in to follow this  
metalcraze

New ArmA direction is finally properly appreciated

Yeah, in an article that is barely related to ArmA itself PC Gamer wrote a rather peculiar, if not outright ignorant, thing when discussing PUBG. The significance of it however can't be underestimated as it basically shows how mainstream press (especially ever ArmA-loving PC Gamer) and their target audience sees what ArmA has became thanks to efforts of the team that has taken over series for the past half-decade.

" Battle Royale is a mod made for several open-world zombie survival games, first DayZ, then ARMA 3 and H1Z1. "

You know you must be doing something very special when PCG can't even remember the name of a previous game in ArmA series and then calls ArmA3, well, what it really is thanks to all the butchering and removal of what was making it special over the past 4 years. When a character you play is a supersoldier that can do instant 360 spins while being able to carry a 100 kg loadout without ever breaking a sweat with the penalty of not sprinting (which is like... 18 kmph vs 15 kmph "difference") to fit the mindset of faceless, characterless, forever stuck in early-access, by-the-numbers "zombie survival" free-for-all deathmatch games - that's the treatment your game will get.

Hey, but it's OK BIS, ArmA3 is still fairly on top of the charts - there are still a year or two (tops) left before the survival fad is over and maybe nobody will call ArmA3 - DayZ 2 by the time ArmA4 (or whatever it will get miscalled then) gets released and maybe there still will be people who will care enough to install 20 or 30 gigabytes of mods just to make ArmA play like one.

• Like 2

Read that article as well and while I didn't pick up on the points made in the first post, what struck me is any other gaming company would've sued, claiming some sort of ownership in the new game. Not only do they clearly mention Arma but the author of the title admits his many years of modding in Arma helped him have a running start at the new title.

To be clear, I don't think BI should've have, just saying a more shallow or greedy publisher would. The game looks so similar, I thought it used BI's engine and assets, only to find out its built on the unreal engine, meaning the game was created to resemble BI's assets and basic gameplay. Again, no lawyer and not encouraging it, but that alone could be enough to head to court.

That aside, PC Gamer are normally very pro Arma, with Evan Lahti being a BIG fan of the game writing numerous, glowing articles and the magazine using Arma as the example of what a serious milsim should look like.

• Like 1

I can't follow. What game are we talking about that looks extremely similar to ArmA?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lexx said:

I can't follow. What game are we talking about that looks extremely similar to ArmA?

the game is pubg or Player Unknowns battlegrounds. .

9 minutes ago, teabagginpeople said:

the game is pubg or Player Unknowns battlegrounds. .

Who made the mission concept for the Make Arma Not War Competition. 

• Like 1

Certainly looks like Arma, well '2' at least. A3 looks better graphically than that game.

Ex mod makers are mostly the staff now anyway at BI. I think there is plenty of talent there for game style's. But not neccesarily the same talent for game making, from the ground upwards (imo)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rich_R said:

Read that article as well and while I didn't pick up on the points made in the first post, what struck me is any other gaming company would've sued, claiming some sort of ownership in the new game. Not only do they clearly mention Arma but the author of the title admits his many years of modding in Arma helped him have a running start at the new title.

To be clear, I don't think BI should've have, just saying a more shallow or greedy publisher would. The game looks so similar, I thought it used BI's engine and assets, only to find out its built on the unreal engine, meaning the game was created to resemble BI's assets and basic gameplay. Again, no lawyer and not encouraging it, but that alone could be enough to head to court.

That aside, PC Gamer are normally very pro Arma, with Evan Lahti being a BIG fan of the game writing numerous, glowing articles and the magazine using Arma as the example of what a serious milsim should look like.

By that logic, Activision would have sued pretty much everyone.

On 23.6.2017 at 3:15 PM, metalcraze said:

" Battle Royale is a mod made for several open-world zombie survival games, first DayZ, then ARMA 3 and H1Z1. "

Quote of the year right here. Just wow...

What comes to PUBG it looks like a game that many think DayZ should be. It's good that something like it exist as a standalone, so Arma or later DayZ server browsers aren't full of them and naturally PU can bring his full vision of the gamemode.