EmeraldTiger

Deficit and lack of amount single official missions.

After four years game having just dozen (or so) amount of single missions.

5 or so - from original Arma and 8 or so that installed with APEX.

That is all what BS did in 4 years for price exeed any other shooter up to 3-4 times ??!!

This post correlate with this one:

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/203253-why-after-years-game-still-have-no-native-pvp-mode/

So for price up to 3-4 times bigger then any shooter player got neither native multiplayer mode (aka Battlefield style) nor good amount of single missions.

At least make and provide for us some mission pack as other DLC ! We will buy it.

Yes, I know exis workshop and custom missions that players made in editor. But to be fair they not good for me.

Now game having just dozen missions, no MP mode from box 'install and play' and one playable MP mode (KotH) that is mod indeed.

All above for price of 3 games Battlefield class.

• Like 2

The Single Player version of Apex Protocol is still on its way. Tac-Ops DLC is also supposedly going to be Single Player focused as well.

Either way SP players have been asking for years for more stuff aside from showcases from BI. With the exception of the above two examples I don't think that we'll be getting any more at this point...just gotta pray that Arma 4 (if or when it ever does come) has more SP stuff.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ProfTournesol said:

I somehow agree that SP players need more love from BIS.

Agreed.

For the moment, we have to rely on the community - and the quality of the usermade content is fluctuant.

(Like the official ones though - I know, but sill...)

• Like 2

Community made missions have surpassed the official ones for some time now. I mean what are we comparing -a small showcase VS Antistasi\Liberation\WholeLottaAwesome\Dissension\Pilgrimage etc? These missions have real meat to them -we can build and really make a mark as opposed to - polished intro\ bad guys have occupied X town\go here\kill x brain dead AI\cutscene more bad news\go here kill x aimbots etc\cutscene guys strutting..

There were some real good missions in East Wind dont get me wrong, but its time for BI to pull out their 'A' game again for us SP'ers. Hire one of the above guys, someone who is really jacked to make amazing replayable missions whether it be dynamic, warfare like, island building whatever -something with continuity and real stakes. We deserve it.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Community made missions have surpassed the official ones for some time now.

For some, yes indeed.

I mean what are we comparing -a small showcase VS Antistasi\Liberation\WholeLottaAwesome\Dissension\Pilgrimage etc? These missions have real meat to them -we can build and really make a mark as opposed to - polished intro\ bad guys have occupied X town\go here\kill x brain dead AI\cutscene more bad news\go here kill x aimbots etc\cutscene guys strutting..

You and I both know, even if it is a linear mission, it can totally change from one game to another, due to the AI. Sometime the mission will work just fine, and sometimes you will struggle to finish it, all your teammates dead, etc...

I'm not into the sandbox missions (but that's just me), I prefer when I have clear objectives.

For example, in ArmA 2, I enjoyed the beginning of the campaign - but from the moment it was "search the whole map for the guy" (and worse: the Warfare mode in SP), it lost all its interest.

There were some real good missions in East Wind dont get me wrong, but its time for BI to pull out their 'A' game again for us SP'ers. Hire one of the above guys, someone who is really jacked to make amazing replayable missions whether it be dynamic, warfare like, island building whatever -something with continuity and real stakes. We deserve it.

No please, no warfare (or things like that) in SP, it's really not a good SP mode!!!

That's just for me, but what I liked the most in CWA was:

• we played different roles
  • we didn't have the feeling to be a one man army

I mean, we still don't here, but still, in the campaign I feel like we do all the work - not feeling like we are just a part of a whole.

That is what I miss - but that's just my opinion.

I wouldn't mind smaller mission, but more of them.

For example, not a platoon with orders like "go there, take that objective, then go there, take that objective, then go there and take that objective... and so on" for just 1 platoon!

As an example, some official SP missions in ArmA 3 that were the kind I like:

• Firing from vehicle
  • Combined Arms (as we could lose also and b forced to retreat)

I like the beginning of Armed Assault, but after the first objective, sending a 4 man team to secure 2 checkpoints... seriously?

But then again, all I wrote is just my opinion.

• Like 3

I am not a fan of these big sandbox user missions either. One free roaming mission in a campaign is totall fine, but don't overdo it. Smaller scaled but more refined missions are much more fun to play. Also story and characters you can relate to. The last part makes it tricky I guess, as your teammates usually die like flies... don't remember it being that bad in the old Operation Flashpoint. Just recently I've played a mission that in itself was quite good, but even with a team of 4 I had to do everything on my own, because at least one of my mates died in every encounter... very annoying.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the SP campaigns of the Arma series (apart from Arma 1). Each one was different from another, ranging from a rather linear approach as in OFP to a more "CTI" / open style like partly in Arma 2 or Apex. For me the important aspect is the story and - as @lexx says - characters, you can relate to. This is what motivates me and "sucks me in". The official campaigns focussed on these things more or less, Apex being the worst example (maybe because of the MP / COOP aspect of the campaign).

In my opinion you at least need a more narrow approach in the beginning to introduce the story and the characters. That's why OFP Resistance and Viktor Troska is what it/he is. From my personal point of view the dynamic and open missions (at least the ones I have played) don't focus too much on these points. You can or have to create your own story which is ok (apart from the other advantages such missions deliver), but that requires more perserverance and you (meaning: I) get away quite fast from it. Don't know how to express it better. 

On the showcases in Arma 3: They only do what their names say: Show the game's mechanics and scopes. The situation and background information mentioned in the briefings don't help much to get me hooked (for me at least). That said: Yes, BI, give us MORE real SP shit (not showcases)! :rthumb:

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, lexx said:

The last part makes it tricky I guess, as your teammates usually die like flies... don't remember it being that bad in the old Operation Flashpoint.

Probably because time to kill was a lot shorter in OPF or rather instant, so ambush tactics were king. There was no running for cover and returning a random headshot. Also, it was very easy to mow down entire enemy squad with one mag due to AI squads running around in nearly perfect formations, one hit kill, no recoil, no bullet drop, no weapon sway and no random spread.

I prefer OPF type SP missions as well but for me the best part of East Wind has to be scouting missions. One man army was kind of justified by that you played as resistance fighter, scavenging for supplies and there were bunch of small encounters. I would love this to be expanded into whole campaign with whole SP save system overhauled (stable large save files, renaming, deleting and overwriting files) to have somewhat Elder Scrolls type of deal.

1 hour ago, wiki said:

No please, no warfare (or things like that) in SP, it's really not a good SP mode!!!

It wouldn't be that bad if high command interface wasn't that clunky. AI required babysitting which was nearly impossible due HC system. Benny did it great for example in his Warfare, though MP.

Indeed. Although to me the clue of Arma is its sandbox platform aspect (which is good priority IMO), and official SP content at least for me is just an optional addition, lately it is mostly "MP this, MP that" what I hear, which is truly a sad song to lone wolf as myself. 

1.72 brings, as I read, three official MP scenarios (Combat Patrol, Escape From Tanoa, Escape From Malden), but I can't check them yet, perhaps these are actually anyhow playable one player only. 

5 hours ago, wiki said:

You and I both know, even if it is a linear mission, it can totally change from one game to another, due to the AI. Sometime the mission will work just fine, and sometimes you will struggle to finish it, all your teammates dead, etc...

I'm not into the sandbox missions (but that's just me), I prefer when I have clear objectives.

For example, in ArmA 2, I enjoyed the beginning of the campaign - but from the moment it was "search the whole map for the guy" (and worse: the Warfare mode in SP), it lost all its interest.

Yes but that in itself (AI randomization) is not enough to make a mission a truly engaging experience. What we need are some spicy new mechanics whether it be story mode or CTI styled. How about more of a RPG quality to each individual solder so you actually remembered them for how they performed -not their cool guy B action movie lines. I can honestly say I remember more about my 3 AI squaddies abilities and feel from Hidden and Dangerous some 20 years ago than ANY sidekick AI Ive played in my 20,000+hours of OFP/Arma!  How bout introducing a new Ambush ability for AI squads or introduce a Civilian day night cycle with the possibilty they can also turn rogue? These mechanics themselves ARE stories, and imo better than the cliche soldier movie plotlines. Or a nice statistics and medal system for a career mode with sorties featuring K/D ratios, amazing shots, winning in unreal odds with a nice summary overview -creative stuff

You mentioned you like to feel like a cog in a wheel ( common OFP sentiment) - and yes I agree but i get that feeling by a real war actually taking place around me -not being told its taking place while being transported from set piece to set piece with no real feel of the ground, of the ebb and flow of battle -of a real war ocuring. Thats what I do like about Warfare -its all out war but I can understand its not for everyone. Some of the above missions are a nice combination of a real war taking place but also a loose story taking place in which you can engage or not engage. Heres where Id like BI to take the lead - give us something revolutionary, something ballsy scripting wise, something top notch. Dont know if you were around then but Abandoned Armies was a mission made for OFP and in a most artful manner, managed to paint some of the horrors of war, the timetable of daily troop movement, the troop buildup of a CTI, and dreary, dreamy environment all in one. Theres a good starting point for a mission to role model.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Abandoned Armies 

This! You hit the nail on the head with that example! :icon14:

Abandoned Armies was the absolute top notch mission. It was open and over the whole map, yes. But at the same time every character you met had its own deep background. This mission was so packed with story, just amazing how immersive it was.

This is what I meant. Also, Abandones Armies took the player by the hand in the beginning phase. The first objectives (AFAIR) were quite simple and not like "Conquer/Explore the whole map right now!" I never again played a mission like this, apart from Punishment Battallion in Arma 1 (which doesn't reach AA though).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rydygier said:

Indeed. Although to me the clue of Arma is its sandbox platform aspect (which is good priority IMO), and official SP content at least for me is just an optional addition, lately it is mostly "MP this, MP that" what I hear, which is truly a sad song to lone wolf as myself. 

1.72 brings, as I read, three official MP scenarios (Combat Patrol, Escape From Tanoa, Escape From Malden), but I can't check them yet, perhaps these are actually anyhow playable one player only. 

I would be ecstatic if they were somehow playable in SP, but I suspect that they are not, as I think BI would have hyped SP playability if it was available.   Also added were Zeus missions for Malden terrain - I assume those are MP-only as well (?).

The High Command (HC) aspect of Arma is extremely underexploited in official content.  I think it has amazing potential to be developed as a vital SP tool into the future.  Many other games use something like HC to control units (even Steel Beasts).  Imagine if more full sets of commands were added to HC, such as those commanding stance, suppression, formation, behavior, combat mode, etc., all available intuitively from map via mouse clicks.  Mixing HC missions into a campaign is a great way to extend a campaign with varied content.  I remember that A2OA used HC quite nicely, in campaign and in Steel Panthers SP mission.  Those were the days!

HC was also used very effectively in King's Audience mission of IFL44 Russian campaign:

HC is just another tool to generate varied campaign content, like Warfare, scouting missions, even dynamic content based on player choices earlier in campaign.  All made better by and bound together within a story framework with (at least partially) developed characters.  It is clear that there are so many ways that BI could develop striking SP content as a selling point into the future, but they have fully embraced the MP focus for a while now, and that probably is a safer business model.

I hope that Tac-Ops and Tank showcase usher in a new era of outstanding and creative official SP content!  

• Like 3

Now situation look like BIS made complicate milsim - very niched product, not for all. And sell it like a GAME, but without single missions and native MP mode. Empty.

Arma 3 having just 10 (-/+ two) single missions that proudly called 'campaign' in the game.

In addition its price triple to any compared shooter.

I really have no idea why I should buy Jet DLC and other DLCs and where I can apply its ?

Does BIS know at all that game named 'Squad' issued ? :don8: What for Arma after this ?

IMHO, what I need in SP is a good story, interesting characters with a background and not have the feeling that I win the war by myself.

I liketo feel like I'm just a part of a whole thing.

Plus, it would be interesting to have some missions in which, even if we achieve it, we lose all in all because some other units involved didn't succeed.

For example: we take an objective and have to wait for reinforcements or air support, but then we learn the team who was supposed to neutralize the AA failed. Then, we have no choice but retreat because an armored counter attack is up.

Always winning doesn't feel realistic

3 minutes ago, wiki said:

IMHO, what I need in SP is a good story, interesting characters with a background and not have the feeling that I win the war by myself.

I agree, and the best SP/Campaign for me is the OFP:Resistance Campaign. 

• Like 2

I don't even know how to make missions or objectives or scripts or anything. I've been playing ARMA 2 & 3 for about 6 years now and I'll I've ever done is play around in the editor. I set up a little battle, put units down, give waypoints, and push "play scenario" lol. I've never even played the storyline of ARMA or multiplayer for that matter. I just play by myself with AI in the edior. The new 3D eden editor has made it so much better too.

I wouldn't mind some singleplayer missions that use the RHS and Iraqi/Syrian conflict mods!

12 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

I agree, and the best SP/Campaign for me is the OFP:Resistance Campaign. 

The only problem for me is I really prefer playing as a guy of the armed forces.

That's why I didn't enjoy the Adapt part as much as Survive and Win.

Of course, civilian/resistance mission may be interesting sometimes - like in OFP/CWA - but I prefer being part of the war machine (strategy, tactical plans, helicopter insertion, air assets for CAS, IFV/APC/MBT combat, etc...)

What - did someone just say civilian missions are absolutely cool?? :tounge:

Yay :don11:

Link

Spoiler

:teeth:

I'm praying the TAC Ops dlc will deliver the love we need for Sp missions. I've given up on ever playing Apex solo again as the first time was a nightmare that no one should ever have to endure. While it's true many user missions have surpassed the main campaign I still enjoy the linear focus on the campaign. Maybe it's because I used to like games like COD so the whole survive chapter was really fun for me even though I enjoy the other chapters to.

I think it was sad some Apex release that the show case was better Sp content then much of its campaign. The Orange dlc is meant to have a short campaign as well so here is Hoping that we get a decent campaign there, lots of good Sp missions in Tac Ops and a good Showcase for Tanks even though we already have one but a bigger version would be cool.

• Like 2

I think the biggest thing that has disappointed me with ArmA III so far has been a lack of official single player content.

Bohemia has shown in the past they've been willing to give out notable chunks of playable single player content when it comes to expansion/DLC releases, but it seems this time around the DLC is largely a feature set of elements for the engine first, and actual curated content for that stuff second. I can actually understand this approach because by making it lean towards engine features, it becomes more encompassing to the whole experience; everyone gets the perks of the Jets DLC, for example, and not everyone who bought it will even play the mission that comes with it.

That said, BI really missed the ball by not making a Marksman, Jet, and presumably, Tac-Ops and Tanks campaigns. One of the things I liked about previous releases of content was that they tended to show off a theme of warfare: Cold War Crisis did this by having playable characters represent different gameplay styles. Resistance was about being part of a Resistance. Harvest Red emphasized being part of a team. It would seem both East Wind and Apex Protocol seem to be infantry, and Apex Protocol really has botched as far as a campaign that punishes players: they really made a multiplayer scenario out of it. If we consider "affiliated" content, there's the Make ArmA Not War winning campaign of Resist, which is a great companion campaign to East Wind, but it rightfully emphasized infantry in its scope; Bohemia likely has limited their experience to infantry because the AI might be less refined in other aspects of gameplay.

• Like 5

^^ Word.  A2CO scenarios and DLC >>>>>>>>>>> A3 showcases and DLC.  The whole paradigm of showcases + challenges should be utterly abandoned and replaced with badass official scenarios as in the past.  What sold me on the Arma franchise was the A2CO scenarios and DLC scenarios and campaigns.  Every DLC had a memorable mini-campaign!  Sad to see that go.  It's been downhill ever since in terms of official SP content, even though East Wind was great overall.

What I would have liked to see for Jets DLC is four combat Showcases scenarios, one for each new jet, instead of just one overall.  Even more awesome would be if they were presented as a mini-campaign with tie-ins to East Wind and Apex Protocol.  With more missions, hype would increase, BI could charge more, and I would pay.  Didn't happen, but there's my wishful 2 cents.

What about a stealth mission where CTRG operator(s) must infiltrate CSAT base at night, steal a Shikra, and then use it to find and stop a convoy taking Doomsday device to a port to get it safely off-island before NATO grabs it.  Then he must land the Shikra on US carrier, providing a coup for NATO military Intelligence!  Ha!

• Like 1

On 08.07.2017 at 2:35 PM, OMAC said:

What sold me on the Arma franchise was the A2CO scenarios and DLC scenarios and campaigns.

What you talking about ? This official DLCs with missions exist now for Arma 3 ?

Have you tried the A2CO official scenarios and DLC scenarios and campaigns (e.g. BAF).  I loved 'em.  Some of the scenarios have been ported to A3 this year.  For example, see Village Sweep mission in my signature, and those by @SHJ-Studio .