KaRRiLLioN

Rts-3 released

I cant fly worth a s***.

Kar, cant you write a game which has no aircraft production and is set in close, known-base-start quarters.

Such a game type would quickly lower the total game time from 6hrs+ to some more reasonable time length.

Hello every1! I was just popping into gamespy for a quick game while waiting for a RTS to end in kaRR's server and I got a link for the new veitnam RTS, (requires SEM NAM Pack).. This was the mission from BeAmEr. or sumthing like that.. kaRR, If you dont want me to post other mission links that are NOT from yoyu then please tell me to edit this post out and i will do so immediatly! http://www.ofpnews.com < Download and try it out! Ive never personally tried it but I hear itsd good. But the single player rts is really what ive been waiting for.

Thanks again!

FHAF[MAJ]Victor

Yep, I spoke to him about it and told him to start a new thread here in the forum regarding it. Guess he didn't yet.

Did it work ok? I haven't tried it out yet since I've been busy on the SP stuff.

Ok, i edited this and took it out. Beamer posted the D/l links on forum.

Later!

FHAF[MAJ]Victor

He did start a topic on it, just in the wrong forum. look in the editing forum.

RED

Ive got word!  KaRRiLLioN's told his server folks on word of SP RTS Beta. I hear there's some work to do.  SO WHAT!  im sure it fine the way it is! muahahahah. IM so impatient, cant wait till its out! I hope He dosn't post it in the forums while im @ work.. heh, then I have to wait till i get home >:-/

Good Job (even if I havnt played it already)!  

Later!

FHAF[MAJ]Victor

RTS-3 Beta4 with Single Player is now available for download.  This version is for Nogova and does not require any addons. This version can also be used in Multiplayer.

The Link for the download is in the first post of this thread

What's new:

- Human commanders now have a great deal of control over the other AI squads.  To use them, leave some AI on.  You don't have to leave all AI on, depending upon how many you wish to control.

- AI Commanders will now build bases and maintain a defense and send out black-ops and other offensive units to seek out the enemy base and destroy it.

- When there is an AI commander, all AI squads will automatically attack and defend territory on the island.

- Many other changes and fixes, including about 3 new dialog interfaces for controlling squad AI (if you are the commander).

*KNOWN ISSUES*

- The AI scripting is not completely done yet.  I still plan to make it better, but for now it's good enough to play against/with plus, you all are good at finding issues with it. smile.gif

- AI and bridges don't mix well.  Because of this I had to script some workarounds for the bridge area.  For this reason, I'm not sure that I can make a good single player conversion for the Ackropolis island addons version unless I either leave the NW and NE islands out of the mission, or completely re-script to use naval power or air power, neither of which appeals to me, because it's no fun without tanks. smile.gif  For this reason, I'll start looking for another good island to use this one and I'll also release an Addons version of Nogova as well.

Other Info

I'll try to type up some instructions for all of the new interfaces, but most of it should hopefully be self-explanatory.  If you use an AI commander, I would highly recommend that you do NOT leave all the AI on for both teams unless you have at least a P4-2.5 Gz or better computer with plenty of RAM and a good video card.  Otherwise, your computer will turn into a slide-show.  If you want to have a good active game, then leaving half of the AI squads on will still give you plenty of action.

If you are the commander, then you can control almost every aspect of the AI squads.  Basically this is done with the Command and Control button under Mission Control for the commander.  You can pull up individual squads along with a list of all available vehicles that are near them.  You can have them get in as driver, gunner, commander, cargo, etc. and the lists will reflect that.  You may have to click "Refresh List" sometimes to see the changes.  I didn't have it auto-refresh to help low-end computers from getting bogged down.  Basically there's a LOT you can do.

You can tell individual squads to automatically take territory and they will start with the closest territory and start attacking it.  You can also set waypoints.  Simply click the button "Activate Waypoint Mode" and then you can click on the map anywhere and then order the squad to go to that marker.  I recommend a mixture of the two.  The only issue with the auto-attack territory, is that sometimes the AI tends to skip over the territories at the farthest reaches of the island, depending upon where they spawn.

When using an AI commander, the AI squads are automatically commanded to take territories.  AI-controlled SAM's will automatically spawn on territories controlled by teams to guard against counter-attack.

The AI commander will also create teams of covert-ops to seek and destroy the enemy base.  Basically these teams will approach either by land or air (depending upon how long the game has been going).  They will sneak into the base and lay satchels and blow stuff up, basically. =)  The AI commander will also create tanks and such once your base is found and begin attacking it with them.  Currently the AI commander will not build attack choppers since I am still fleshing out some areas of the AI scripting.

The AI commander will also build base defenses, like SAM's and Vulcans/Shilkas and workers.

There's a lot more info, but I don't have time to spell it all out right now.

Just play and let me know how it works for you!

Nice work KaRRiLLioN, I had fun playing it until my computer crashed.

It would be nice if the AI on your team (If you are the commander) would exit the MCU when the commander is not in it.

I am not sure how the enemy chooses its place to build its base, I assume it just has a list of places one of which is picked at random?

Does the AI send out scouts to locate enemy units? I encountered a BRDM with a spetznaz, was think doing recon work?

It would be good if the AI on your team could be build units when they need to (and only could spend a certain amount of money).

Good work!

RED

Karr, can you fix how HALO's get shot by enemy AA? I mean, I was HALO'ing down near the enemy base, then BAM! A heat round landed on me! Can this be fixed?

KaRRiLLioN I am not sure if you read the post by suma, he said that if a vehicle (say a T80) was not present on a map and then you createvehicle a T80. OFP has to load the textures etc slowing down the mission.

You may want to create some empty vehicles off the island somewhere, it seems to speed things up.

RED

I made some quick mission fixes and now RTS-3 Beta4a is available for download.

Fixes:

- Radar no longer shoots AA at soldiers when they HALO

- Soviet radar now registers properly when AI builds it

- You may only build one of each primary base building, i.e. only one tank factory, aircraft factory, etc.

- AI Commanders now upgrade the radar later in the game

- Changed time length to contest a territory back to 30 seconds

- Slowed down the rate at which AI commanders can train workers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

KaRRiLLioN I am not sure if you read the post by suma, he said that if a vehicle (say a T80) was not present on a map and then you createvehicle a T80. OFP has to load the textures etc slowing down the mission.

<span id='postcolor'>

There is typically a small pause the first time a unit is built.  I think this is acceptable, rather than creating one of every vehicle somewhere on the map.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

I am not sure how the enemy chooses its place to build its base, I assume it just has a list of places one of which is picked at random?

<span id='postcolor'>

Depending upon where they randomly spawn, they will look for the closest specific area to them and go there to build.

It would be good if the AI on your team could be build units when they need to (and only could spend a certain amount of money).

<span id='postcolor'>

If there is an AI commander, then the AI squad leaders will automatically build things.  I don't have the AI commanders or squadleaders on a budget yet, but I do have them building now at relatively normal speeds.  Currently, human commanders have to micro-manage their AI squads.  This has positives and negatives.  With micro-management, you can create whatever kind of vehicles, etc. for that squad and then have it go automatically take territories, etc.  Using that method you could have stronger squads than the ones the AI squad leaders typically create.  Currently AI squad leaders only make 3-vehicle squads.

Does the AI send out scouts to locate enemy units? I encountered a BRDM with a spetznaz, was think doing recon work?

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, East sends out Spetz Natz on recon and West sends out Black ops.  Technically speaking, the AI already knows where your base is, but they make a good show of hunting for it. smile.gif  When they find it, they will try to sneak in and satchel buildings.

It would be nice if the AI on your team (If you are the commander) would exit the MCU when the commander is not in it.

<span id='postcolor'>

Right now, as of version 4a, unless there is an AI commander, the AI squads will not automatically get in or out of the MCU.  You have to micro-manage them using Command and Control.

Click Command and Control

Now click Control Group

This brings up a specific squad group.  At the start, you'll only see the squad leader in a list, and in a list next to that, all vehicles he is within 200 meters of.  You'll have to click Get In As Cargo to make him get in the back of the MCU.

It might be a pain, yes, and I'll try to get something scripted for the beginning, but until then, that's the procedure.

biggrin.gif, Luv it.

Just a question:

I can control the WP1 marker, but how can i make WP2, 3 markers move on the map?

Good work! I meant Great work!

C yall l8er on yur server.

FHAF[MAJ]Victor

To use the different waypoints, you will need to use different keys + mouse click.

I can't remember exactly which click goes to what, but here are the combos:

(BTW Click stands for left mouse button click.)

click - WP1

shift + click - WP2

alt + click - WP3

shift + alt + click - WP4

Remember to Activate Waypoint Mode from the Mission Control panel. Only the Commander will have this.

Once I have some time I'll write up some instructions, but I'm kinda slammed with work right now.

sad.gif I know i'm doing something wrong here, because the ai on west (my team) are staying still and the Soviets dont seem to be gaining any territory, wot's wrong?

another qustion, how do u get money at the beggining?

thx in advance. smile.gif

Ok Bordoy.. I got that issue but I understand some of it.

When you asked about the team of your doing nothing, heres a checklist.

1. Did you make ALL! Nessesary building, Tank, Air, Recycler, barracks, HQ?

2. Are they all disembarked from the mcu?

3. Have the ai moved at all? (to the HQ, then to the tank fac?)

4. After a few minutes a (Depending on which side you are on) a Vulcan, m2a2, and a m1a1 should appear.

5. They have to be set to Capture Territorys (in the Control & Command Menu).

6. They will all move to the closest territory.

------------------------------

Question to KARRILION:

Hello all! and G'day! Heres a few questions & 1 or 2 suggestions to the ofp crowed from me.

1. Do ALL the ai have to move to the same place? Like 5 officers sends all there first 7 men (in the tanks) thats 35 men (5 officers times 7 units each), all going to 1 area.. I think they should possibly have it to when 1 says "Heading to Modrava".. It cant be repeated again, so all of your units wont be following each other the entire mission.

-------------

Here are a few SUGGESTIONS to the fans of RTS.

1.  Are you sick & tired of only having 1 life in single player?

Start up a multiplayer and hit " New " and just play from there so you get respawn.

2.  Tired of that Command & Control when you have to desimbark each officer 1 by 1?

Make sure you start as commander, set an AI officer as commander, when he gets to base position he will make nessesary buildings and then all officers will be exited from the mcu (NOTE)from the ai commander and not you.. Then once thats complete, if you wish make your self the commander again.

NOTE:

If the Ai commands to get the units out of the mcu, you will not be able to decide where the base goes and where the buildings are postioned, usless you make a Waypoint, make sure waypoint mode is activated then. I personally dont mind makin each unit desembark 1 by 1.

Well, happy gaming... And If my suggestions are WRONG! Just post up that it was wrong (i dont think i am), then i wll edit this out)

I'll Be in karrs Server for a while.

Later!

FHAF[MAJ]Victor crazy.gif

i can get money but the enemys dont move confused.gif and the AI u start with on your side dont move. i'll try playing it im SP not MP (on my own) which is what i was doing.

Make sure you downloaded the correct version from the first post of this thread. I still have links to beta 3, and the AI don't do anything in that version.

You will want to play this from your MPMissions folder, btw, otherwise squad leaders will not respawn.

If you are commander then you will have to use the Command and Control menu to make them get in and out of vehicles, etc. BBSmith had some good suggestions if you want to automate some parts of the mission. Simply start as commander, and then assign an AI as commander from Command and Control by clicking "Enable AI Commander" first, and then click on the name of an AI in the list and click "Assign as Commander". Then the AI will all get in the MCU, go to a good spot, and build a base. After the base is built, you can take control back.

I may make it so that you can have the AI get into the MCU as a human commander eventually, once I have time to mess with that.

i have tried downloading it again but it dont work. even when clicking "assign new commander" and doing that, he still doesnt move. Have i downloaded the right version? does the map i choose matter?

I am going to set a new name in the forums to FHAF[MAJ]Victor Instead of BBSmith . If i only could change my name as it is now instead of starting all over with registration.  

I wont be a n00b to the topic still, even if I only monitor 1-2 topic (1 in mission editing)...  Ill be back as FHAF[MAJ]Victor.

I may be promoted soon (hopfully) to FHAF[something]Victor (I really dont know, but I think its Gen)and I will most likly be that person.

Thats what i mean, i needa be able to change my name with with same profile.

This is a RTS3 forum what an I talking about.

-----------------------------------------------------

When you downloaded Rts what was the mission called? 0.4a?

I just went into MP and tried what you ment by your problem. The AI didnt seem to move.

1. Set AI Commander

2. enable AI commader

3. After around 2-4 mins after base is set, and men get out they will stand there for a period of time, but eventually move, it isnt instant.

<L8er>

FHAF[MAJ]Victor          crazy.gif

I enjoyed playing the new RTS 3 with you Karrillion. Keep up the good work. I just hope the next time we play, that there would be more people so we can have a massive battle without bots.

I downloaded two things. 1. rts3 nogova beta04a [karr] (24).noe

2. rts 24 rts3 beta03e nogova.noe

wots wot? lol

EDIT: i've done it, it's working. this is the greatest. smile.gif is there anyway to respawn in SP or save a MP game?

k i'm having a problem with the AI always wanting to go back into the MCU. LIke after they die or something, they just jump back into the truck which is incerdibally annoying. So one time i popped a LAW into it, everyone died, then it had group errors that said the AI no longer existed. whaaa?

If you start off with an AI commander, then you need to let them get in and they will get out when they get to wherever the AI commander is going to build the base.

If you are the commander then you can control each of the AI squad leaders as you like by clicking Mission Control, and then Command and Control. I've explained some of this earlier in the thread.