KaRRiLLioN

Rts-3 released

I played RTS3 and I loved it on novaga.

The island of Ackropolis is also very cool with the addons but it would be handy to add some big transpost planes so you transport the building truck and some heavy trucks for greater disantces.

There is a cargo plane under construction that can load vehicles inside and fly to some other airfield.

The problem with Ackropolis is that there is 1 island which you can only take by air since there is no land bridge.

Also can you some more roads on Ackropolis for faster transportion of tanks?

I find the island a little bit boring so some more bushes would be nice.

For the rest it a great mp map!

Right I have found away to exploit the game, I will not post it though.

Another request, a remove from queue feature.

RED

Send me a PM about the exploit if u will, Red.

I do have a new version that I haven't posted yet, and you can now give money to teammates in case you need to help someone out. =)

To answer some previous questions:

Random Starts:

There are currently 12 random starting positions. I will probably have to change the way that opflash chooses a random number because it doesn't seem to choose a different number very often. It could be the modulus that I'm using to force it to choose a whole number.

Queueing:

I'm working on a new Queueing method that will be more flexible for me to adjust, and it will also be easier to track everything you're building/waiting on once I'm done with it.

As for having units on standby for building, should one die, I'll think about it. For training soldiers that doesn't work well though. If you were to die while the soldiers were still training, then the group that they join doesn't exist anymore because opflash changes the identifier of players each time they die. Then they would just stand around doing nothing. Right now when you die, the queue for soldiers will empty out.

Mine Layer:

I had a mine layer in RTS2 and it was almost never used. To balance it out, it charged money for each mine layed, and it wasn't very fast, but still faster than doing it by hand. Most of the time the team that layed the mines ended up losing an entire tank squad to them because the AI would blindly stumble right through the mine field.

Resistance AI in towns:

This could be easily done but for MP it'd have to be limited depending on the number of players, the same way that I limit AI soldiers and such. It's unfortunate, but necessary because AI really start lagging with more than 5-6 players.

Ackropolis Island:

I didn't make the island, but had some players who wanted RTS3 on it so I did it. If you have other islands you're interested in seeing RTS3 on, let me know and I'll consider them. It's not too hard to put it on other islands, but it takes a while for me to re-adjust the territory sizes.

I would really like to use Phaeden's Island, but it has a couple of serious issues and isn't completely finished so I can't really us it, unfortunately.

Transport Planes:

Currently you can already transport up to 3 Land vehicles, not including the MCU in Chinooks and Mi17's. You can load them up while they are manned by AI and they will automatically get out of the vehicle, get into the chopper, and then when you unload them, they'll get out of the chopper and back into their vehicles. You can unload each vehicle individually.

If some nice BIG transport choppers come along then I'll consider them, but currently the big planes just aren't flexible enough and the islands aren't large enough to warrant using them. There's no problem adding them to a private version of the game if you REALLY want them, but for my versions, I just don't care for them since it means more addons that players have to download.

Satellite:

I'm looking at some more camera-related stuff to see if I can further simplify camera controls and make it more useful. If I can, then I'll think about a satellite view. Just remember, the random weather will definitely affect how useful this is.

a satellite could be a ubercheat if implemented wrong.

if you could buy one, you should make it so that it points at only one lovcation and that "retasking" it to look at a different spot should cost a substantial amount of money to do.that would keep the satellite watching down to a few different spots at most.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would really like to use Phaeden's Island, but it has a couple of serious issues and isn't completely finished so I can't really us it, unfortunately.

<span id='postcolor'>

I want to try Phaeden's Island with rts3.

Well there's some major issues with that island, especially around Mt. Paladin. I made a CTF in that area and I and several others ran into some invisible walls around that area. Also, there are a lot of road textures and such that aren't finished because they're running parallel to each other and going the wrong way. The SE part of the island is the best part right now.

It's a shame, because that island has a lot of potential.

When Phaeden gets back I am sure he will finish the island. He had to move to Alaska so didn't have time to finish it.

I would love to see the RTS on that island once it is finished.

RED

Oh one more thing the V-80 pic is the same as the Mi-24.

RED

Is there a separate pic for the V80? In the game it looks the same if you get into a V80 or an Mi24 on the soldier menu (when you have soldiers under your command).

Ok, Ive looked at other tends on rts 3, Perhaps be able to go to a terrtory that you own and perhaps UPGRADE it... Ok, that was a bad idea..that, as you said need a less MP lag. How about that radar? those sabots exploding in the air seems to be unreal when I halo out my my plane and the radar seems to be able to detect me.. I forget dosnt radar ditect enemy vehicals. Compair this to real life, would a the defence building be able to reconize a Friendy man falling in the air from a of Foe?  ( ok i realize this may not make much sence) Simpally put, how can i radar shoot a man freefalling in the air and be able to tell if the man falling is an enemy or friend? The vehical I agree the radar should be able to tell. Ok, thx 4 reading my non Understandable post! lol

PS. When Your Units are in production and you leave base for recon/caping, your ai tend to start walking to you even tho u are airborn. And when you die they are 500ms from base, and you have to wait for them to walk back to base. And I am sorry again for the messy post, I will think of a better way to put it then edit this message. sad.gif

Brandon

I thought that troops today have friendly forces transponders,...,so, paratrooper side should be determinable.

Back to the topic of rts3,..., when I am running and I bring up the new rts3 menus my avatar stops,..., cant this be changed like with map can run or fly?

Well when you pull up a menu in opflash, you can no longer control your soldier. Is this what you mean? I'm not sure that there is anything I can do to change that, although I have found that I can still fly a chopper with a joystick while I have a menu pulled up.

How about a music selector, like in the NPD? (Made by Gameer, if you want to take a look it is at the OFPEC mission depo)

it could be something to do while waiting for your upgrades to be paided for.

RED

Music Selector? I thought KaRRiLLioN  wanted to keep the lag down? I thought that more noises that you have tend to lag, not to mention the download size!  confused.gif

Hows the Improvments commin? KaRR? Have you completed a number of things that you wanted to accomplish since you released 0.3c?

Music won't lag the mission or increase the download size, as the music is already in the game.

Edit: It is an odd idea, so it would probaly be best not to implement it unless it worked well.

RED

Heh, well custom music might tend to significantly increase the size of the mission.

I'm working on it and dealing with Christmas preparations at the same time, so it's kind of slow going lately.

oh! Dude, red, sry, i wasnt thinkin.. I thought u were talkin about like real music that didnt deal with ofp.. ok, I get were your commin from

First thing is VERY COOL!!! GREAT IDEA!!! GREAT WORK!!!

Second thing is I only just now picked myself off the floor laughing at the pick of the tide coming in on your base, too funny. Now I feel silly, is there actually tide action in OFP?

Questions: Have not played except by myself so some questions may be blind.

Are there building building limits? tounge.gif

Seems like it would be difficult to locate all of your opponents buildings and destroy for victory.

Only one MCU??? Need to be able to build another. Costly but have ability. Seems loss of MCU is too devastating.

What is the waypoint function for in *Mission Control*?

How do you make AI pilot land helo?

Ideas:

Start troops as rookies then buy upgrade to improve skills. Still have option to buy both or individual buildings are upgraded to spawn vets only. Should add flavor to strategy ala soviet vs. us doctrine.

Had more now I can't think of them, be back.

Hellfire... You dont make any sence except for the last 2 things of so, mostly not read-able.. Try Revising... Your suggestions are ok.   confused.gif  I havnt seen much activity, in the forum! people! Start making suggestions! So KaRR, will get more ideas for rts, ( not meaning theres enough ideas that he already gots).

As soon as I hit ramdom weather it starts to lag.  Maybe Set limits, on what can be built.  

Problem: When starting the game, the general unlocks the Ural other people still cant get in.. I suggest to them to Relock then unlock, and do it over and over till other can get in. This I believe this needs to be fixed, it creates fighting between the teamates and the general that they can't get in. And if others don't know how to fix this problem, they quit or say the game is Glitched and then the host gets pissed then is forced to restart the game only for the same thing to happen again.

And once your wait for a unit is over, it takes a few secs b4 you acually can unlock it. Is that nessesary?

Or, If you accidentally build too many units and go "Click Happy" and build 11 units of the same kind and if you or sum1 from your team says that you need 4 AT men 4 AA men, and 3 Snipers. And you have 11 LAWs in production what do you do? Tell your man to STFU, or cancel production? If we could cancel I think itd be a nice option to have.  

Danke KaRR, Keep up the good work!   xmas.gif

Hellfire12

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do you make AI pilot land helo?

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes plz someone answer.

BBSmith

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Problem: When starting the game, the general unlocks...<span id='postcolor'>

Kar, can you rewrite so that MCU at start is aleady unlocked.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are there building building limits?<span id='postcolor'>

You are only limited by your money.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Seems like it would be difficult to locate all of your opponents buildings and destroy for victory.<span id='postcolor'>

That's why there is also a point limit. If build a lot of base buidlings you spread yourself very thin and make it easier on your opponent to get some easy points by destroying undefended buildings. For each building you destroy, your team gets a point. Of course there is the option of playing with no point limit, but then you'd really be in for a long game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Only one MCU??? Need to be able to build another. Costly but have ability. Seems loss of MCU is too devastating.<span id='postcolor'>

The MCU can be repaired if it is destroyed. The main thing you want to avoid is having it stolen. Once your base is built, you really don't need the MCU as much unless you planned to go making a lot of other buildings. The Construction Jeep can repair buildings for you if your workers are all dead. It just makes strategic sense to try and steal your enemy's MCU if you can, that's why you can't build more.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What is the waypoint function for in *Mission Control*?<span id='postcolor'>

This will be used by commanders in the single player version of RTS3. Right now you have 4 markers that can be set by clicking on the map. It isn't functional in the current release that is in this thread. This is very similar to the way RTS2 functioned except with the new commands available now, it's a LOT easier.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do you make AI pilot land helo?<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not sure if this has changed, but I normally tell them to disembark. Then they should land and get out. Don't tell them to eject though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> As soon as I hit ramdom weather it starts to lag. Maybe Set limits, on what can be built.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not sure why you would get lag from the Random Weather. It only activates about once every 10 minutes or so and all it does is change the weather conditions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or, If you accidentally build too many units and go "Click Happy" and build 11 units of the same kind and if you or sum1 from your team says that you need 4 AT men 4 AA men, and 3 Snipers. And you have 11 LAWs in production what do you do? Tell your man to STFU, or cancel production? If we could cancel I think itd be a nice option to have.

<span id='postcolor'>

I'll put a cancel build option in there. I'm re-thinking my queue system, but since you can build multiple buildings of the same type, then I'm not sure of a good way to account for each building having its own queue. I may just make it so that even if you have 5 tank factories, you still can only build a certain number at a time. It's more complex of an issue than I had first thought, so I'm working on getting the single player components into place before I tackle that issue.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Kar, can you rewrite so that MCU at start is aleady unlocked. <span id='postcolor'>

I have actually tackled this issue many times. The reason I don't like for it to be unlocked at the beginning is because someone will invariably run to it and drive away with it, leaving the commander in the lurch. Since an action that a player performs on his action menu only happens locally on their machine and is then broadcast to others (depending on what the action is) then sometimes the UNLOCK signal is sent to everyone, and sometimes not everyone gets it. I'm still deciding on a good solution for this, i.e. the truck is out of fuel until the commander gets into it as driver or something.

BTW, I'll be out of town for a week starting next monday, but hopefully I'll have a working single player version out before then.

i think this was mentioned somewhere in the mission editing forum, but how about a nam pack conversion?

I've actually gotten several emails and PM's regarding this, and someone even emailed me some samples they'd made using the NAM pack and Jungle Everon. I gave them a couple of requirements (i.e. tell all addons required and give credit to addons makers etc.) and told them to post a new thread in this forum about it for beta testing so players could try them out. At least 2 other people have contacted me and said they made conversions for the island that comes with the NAM pack. I haven't seen them post here yet, so I dunno.

If anyone wants to do conversions to other islands, I don't mind. All I ask is that they contact me about it and follow a specific naming convention to make it easier to identify it as an RTS3 mission. If you do decide this, please at least have some knowledge of scripting. I can tell you what values to plug in where, because I made the scripting as easy as possible to make plugging new vehicles, etc. in and give players flexibility.

I'd do it myself, but right now I'm concentrating on getting the SP stuff done.

KaRR, is it acually possible to make the Ai unpredictable? If you were to play 10 times and the ai were to always go sumwhere and do the same thing? Woudn't they? Well, you may have already found a way around it, perhaps create a option in the Mission Control to make the AI play as Easy, Medium, or Hard (ai run faster, create, and attack more often, or which ever makes the difficulty) and when this option is Activated.. it connot be activated again.. And set the default to i dun know, medium.. or whcih ever you prefer. Otherwise RTS 3, crazy people like me.. Need a good challenge, lol.. Well thx anyway 4 yur Attention.  

1 more thing.. If you were to have 11 men in a chopper, can it be possible to execute a paradrop.sqs that activated on your command with the men in the chopper instead of them all ejecting at once. Causing many of them to lose their lives for you to go back and train more men? But if you were to have another chopper with men in it also, maybe use a radio command instead of action menu? But for now this is a broad idea that I havnt put much thought into before asking.

Ps. when you said next monday were you talking before Chrismas? or the monday after?

Either way is koo, l8er ! xmas.gif

KaRRiLLioN, if you go to the editing forum you will see a tech demo posted by Denoir. This would be very nice to use in this missions as the AI have the ability to learn.

BBSmith, it is possible to do what you say by using the random function - very easy.

RED