KaRRiLLioN

Rts-3 released

Good Idea!

Now I just need to sort through all of the scripts and add that. wink.gif

It's always the simple things I overlook.

Beta 0.3b is now available.

0.3b Additions

The main addition to this is the new Commander Reassignment action. Basically, if the original commander drops from the server, then the script will detect that he is AI and reassign control to the next player. If the current commander does not wish to be the commander, then he can assign another teammate to take over these duties. If there is no human player available on the server for that team, then the script will automatically assign an AI as the commander. This doesn't really mean much right now, but once I start placing the single player components in, then it will make a difference.

0.3b Fixes

The player count now works for either hosted or dedicated servers. The player count basically counts up all human players and then adjusts the AI limit based on that. This also determines whether captured territories will have AI spawn and guard those territories.

Coming soon

I've narrowed down my new island search to a couple of new islands, and since I haven't gotten much feedback here about any addons, I guess I'll proceed and use the ones that I like so far. I just regret that there isn't a good Russian jet to use yet.

M109 ADATS

I would love to see this wonderful wicked Air Defending Unit added to RTS smile.gif the shilkas are good, but the ai is very inaccurate with them, the time it takes to load another AA rocket makes this a very balanced unit.

If u plan on adding a dock, there is the USS Asland LSD 48 and the Russian Patrol Boat, and the boats already in the game. Maybe have the USS Asland be able to produce a special kind of aircraft (how bout the A/MH-6 Littlebird?)

Some artillery, maybe Quakergamers M109A6 but with better textures and sounds.

Just a few things

I've just put the new RTS-3 with Addons version up for download.  It now takes place on an entirely new island along with some of the best Addons that I've found out there.

The links to download the entire ADDON PACK and the mission are in the first post of this thread.

Unzip Phaeden.pbo and Ackropolis.pbo to your Addons directory. Everything else, unzip to your Res\Addons directory. You can unzip them all to either Addon directory actually, but I've been told that this combo works best.

If you already have some of the following addons, then you may not need the pack.

Here's the new addons:

DKM OV-10 Bronco - http://www.dkm-mod.mkdi.net/

DKM M109 ADATS

DKM 26M Tunguska

BAS Littlebirds - http://www.concept-5.com/ballistic

quakergamer M109A6 Paladin Version 2 - http://www.roughnecks.org/opgwc/default.asp

IkaR F-14 Tomcat - http://membres.lycos.fr/hellden/

PSC - Dragonfly

Hit_sqd_Charlie (@ck*knowledge) Ackropolis Island - http://hitsqd.net/

Phaeden USMC - Phaeden's Island

Let me know what you think of the new addons.  So far it all seems to work very well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KaRRiLLioN @ Nov. 29 2002,22:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hit_sqd_Charlie (@ck*knowledge) Ackropolis Island - http://hitsqd.net/<span id='postcolor'>

w00t

Maybe add the nuke script/addon and make it guidable to end those forever lasting games. i.e. you must make a advanced research center (10,000 to make), research the scud platform (30 min), Research the nuke (30 min) and 15 min to make the nuke and the scud must be say..... 150 meters from target to launch? And when the rocket is launched the commander has...... 2 min to get back to his base and get in his MCU and try to drive away and start over?

Does anyone know how to get RTS3.Addons.beta.0.3b.ackropolis up and running?

The MPmission requires an island but the zip file BCA10 only contains the “pbo“ Acropolis

M109ADATS.pbo

m109.pbo

F14.pbo

Dragonfly.pbo

DKMM_TUNGUSKA.pbo

DKMM_BRONCO.pbo

bas_soar.pbo

Phaeden.pbo

bas_soar185.pbo

bas_lbs.pbo

bas_lbs185.pbo

Ackropolis.pbo

Also, where do these files goto?

OF\res\addons or OF\addons or someplace else?

Actropolis.pbo is the island.

They all go in the res/ofp directory, but I dont think it matters if you put it in the regular ofp directory, as long as you run resistance.

Great work KaRRiLLioN! Look forward to playing it today.

RED

KEwl uehm maybe you can pack them in one pack plz or give direct links becouse i dont know what to down:)

Uehm just an idea maybe you can make a script so if u have ai in the back of a black hawk/plane or other vicle you cna drop them with one button

If they are AI that you trained, all you have to do is simply tell them to eject.  Hit the ` key to select them all, then press 6 and then select Eject from the menu.

BTW, here's what happens when you try to build your base in a low spot and then the tide comes in. biggrin.gif

underwater1.jpg

Thyrene Beautes is perfect, but Madrigal sucks,..., Schadenfreude would be perfect.

wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KaRRiLLioN @ Dec. 01 2002,21wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If they are AI that you trained, all you have to do is simply tell them to eject.  Hit the ` key to select them all, then press 6 and then select Eject from the menu.

BTW, here's what happens when you try to build your base in a low spot and then the tide comes in. biggrin.gif

underwater.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

btw i heard u where cheating with something so u could give youreself lots of moneys something with goto bomb smile.gif

But then i heard u used them for testing I WNAT AN ANSWER FROM YOU MISTER

*sigh*

Read page 5 of this thread. I have debugging code in the mission so when it is activated I can quickly and easily build a base and test things out.

I explained it in depth on that page. Since then I have re-written the debug code anyway.

KaRRiLLioN I just played it on your server, didn't find any bugs. But it was not very fun playing against people that took there MCU into battle and don't build bases.

Any idea when you are going to update the briefing?

RED

UPDATE:

Beta Version 0.3c is out. Check the first page of this thread to find the download links.

All I did was update the briefing, so let me know what you think of it. I'll try to get up a website soon with similar info on it as well, but until then, let me know if this explains everything well enough.

I massively re-did the RTS-2 briefing for RTS-3 which was originally done my Nagual. Many thanks to him for that great briefing and framework to create this one from.

wat can u do with the adjustable 2d camera in 1.9, can u get like a down looking view u can control like in the CnC ta etc type rts's.

I get an error when you radio for info. The server name and hosted by does not work.

RED

That's just for debugging right now. The variable that tells the server if it is Dedicated or Hosted is not a public variable, so only the server show the correct info.

I'll be utilizing radio commands for more stuff later, but for now, that was just a simple method for making sure the playercount and AI limit were adjusting values.

Just trying this mod on a LAN by myself, is there a way to force the AI to take command, rather than dumping the burden on me?

Saturnalia, I don't think there is yet but I think KaRRiLLioN may be trying to get this happening.

KaRRiLLioN, I have a few suggestions/crazy ideas:

1. When you set units to by built, it would be nice if you could set a rally point for them. For example in age of empires when you are in battle you don't want to be sending units to the front line every few seconds. You just want to concentrate on the attack, not on where your men are. If it would be possible for each player to select a point on the map (onmapsingleclick could be used here) where certain units would gather that would be great.

2. It would be useful to be able to build tanks/cars that are already manned, as it would save time. Have 2 menus. 1 for empty vehicles, 1 for pre manned vehicles.

3. Artillery support would be nice but it may be too complicated for players to work out how to use it. (The simpler it is the better!wink.gif

4. I would like more control over the soldier cam, maybe if you added some preset views (take Kegetys spectator script for example)

5. Would it be possible for a commander to assign different roles to people on his side, and distribute funds to the players (the players still get their bonus points though) this would be good as some players might spend lots of money on useless stuff. As for the commander setting different roles to players for example:

You could have 1 player in charge of artillery

1 player who can help with construction

1 player who maintains units/buildings.

Those were just quick thought, you could probably think of different roles that would work better.

A question about unit prices, why are all the men the same price? it seems a little odd that spec ops are the same price as a grunt.

Anyway, thanks for listening smile.gif

RED

Saturnalia, RTS-3 is multiplayer only right now, so you'd need at least 1 other player to play it.  RTS-2 had a single-player component where, depending upon which side you chose you would fight against two other teams.  So, if you chose NATO, then you'd fight the Soviets and Resistance for territory, with the ultimate goal being to destroy their bases.  There were 5 versions of RTS-2, and most of them were multiplayer only but the 2nd version was based on Everon and Malden and was able to played single player.  Unfortunately I had a catastrophic HD failure earlier this year that wiped out most of my mission sources and I don't have a copy of the zip file that had that version of RTS-2 in it, since I used to package the MP versions separately from the SP ones..

Anyway, RTS-3 will also get the same functionality, but I'm still implementing some other stuff for MP since most players enjoy the MP facet of it a lot more than sitting and playing against the AI.  Also, the SP version will have to be a different version since AI greatly lag servers (especially if you have a lot of them).

I will build in some of the SP functions into the MP version, but most likely will let commanders choose which ones to disable to prevent lag, depending upon how many players there are.

Anyway, right now, an AI commander is only chosen if there are no human players on a team.  Otherwise, the first human found is chosen as the commander.

Red: I have actually been working on a rally point that you could have your soldiers and vehicles spawn at by using OnMapSingleClick.  When you're the commander, you can see that functionality is already there, but I haven't set the properties for the markers yet.  Also, I'm limited to 4 markers that can be used, so I'm making sure I don't have other things I'd like to use them for.

As for manned vehicles, that is coming as well.  The main issue with that is MP lag.  The AI limit will prevent some manned vehicles from being built if you already have approached the limit.  

Insofar as setting roles for players, well that can be tough to achieve since most players are hellbent on building a chopper 5 minutes into the game and flying off to their death.  Already, though, remember that you have workers at the base who will maintain all buildings within a certain distance automatically so you don't have to micromanage them.

When the SP version is out, you'll have more control over a worker force and the military force.  Using OnMapSingleClick, you'll be able to easily direct them to places.  The main issue is that with independent AI, i.e. AI that are not under your direct control, or another player's control, they are local to the server.  When you use OnMapSingleClick, the marker only moves locally on your machine.  I already have a method for making the marker change location correctly on the server, but there are a few minor issues to iron out.  Once it's done though you won't have a cumbersome interface getting in the way of sending your troops out.

And all soldiers are the same prices because, let's face it, the only "true" classes are the Medic and Sniper, and that's only because they can't carry as much heavy ammo as the other soldiers.  Otherwise, it's all cosmetic.  You don't need a pilot to fly a chopper, because the soldier already can.  Now, I could make it more complex and have every vehicle check to see who is the driver, gunner, etc. and kick out any units that don't fit the role, but the scripting overhead would be massive, or at least unwieldy.  Granted, it would make certain soldiers more valuable, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

I have a couple of new ideas/suggestions:

1. A queue that will build that builds that unit when one unit dies.

2. A satellite that would cost a load of money but would allow you to watch every area of the map, useful for scouting before you head into a town.

3. More random starting positions?

4. A queued production menu that would show every unit that has been queued (only useful if you implement a death-queue, as I know there is the one in the mission control)

5. Maybe you could have a script that counts the amount of players and if say there is 4 or less then the island is split in half? So you can only use half of the island. (Probably won't work but just an idea)

6. A dynamic waypoint option (like in the CoC) so you could tell units to move to a town, wait for a set amount of seconds then move to next waypoint.

7. A mine layer that can lay mines (duh!wink.gif maybe a stupid idea as it would be hard to balance this.

8. Maybe a couple of resistance held towns that will be harder to take but you get more money for holding them?

9. The turbo jump option on the bikes is a little odd as you seem to just fly into the air, but I like the turbo option.

I also got a scripting error it was something like:

_x = _vehicle division error. Sorry I can't remember the exact code, I couldn't find a pen.

RED