kireta21

How's 2017 ArmA 3 ?

I'll keep it short.

Been playing since OFP, lost interest aroud time Zeus came out. Now I see everything is 66% off on steam, so I'm thinking maybe it's time to go back.

So here's my question: How ArmA changed in last 2 years? I know DLCs and proper expansion came out, but "more stuff" isn't answer I'm looking for. How's gameplay, how's perfomance, how's AI, and can unsquadded player have fun in MP? Anything more I should know about? I'm interested in opinions of active players.

Performance has improved a lot thanks to BI's optimization efforts and the new 64 bit client.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd say its good now.

Still a few annoying 'quirks' but nothing terrible (for me)

This guy Erik has a few vids of changes to arma might be worth going over to get familiar.  Some of the new systems have really changed how you attack an objective. 

Ps you need to manually range targets now when using a rangefinder, laser des, also for fire control in some vehicles.  

Welcome back after your hiatus. 

I personally love the new visuals and they really improved the sound of the game. Not only the weapons (new sounds and reverb/hall) but also the environment effects. My personal favourite is the new rain sound. :thumbsup: Man, that's absolutely immersive!

On the MP side of things (without an own clan or squad): I really had a lot of fun with the End Game mode, when it came out. 

Yeah, 64 bit really improved the performance for me.

I don't even remember if it came after Zeus (I think yes), but: The 3D-Editor is the king of all additions. :icon5: So if you're into mission editing, you HAVE to come back!

AI continuously does a better job. I'm sure that it improved a lot since Zeus. Compared with version 1.0 they're almost human-like (ok, that's quite exaggerated :icon_biggrin:).

• Like 3

Performance is good ... 192 AI and I get 48FPS (full server FPS).  Infantry AI is  passable but AI driving is still not really any better (vehicles can't negotiate obstacles)

DLCs have added quite a bit of content.

Overall I still play Arma3 every single day and love it (even with its foibles!)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kremator said:

Performance is good ... 192 AI and I get 48FPS (full server FPS).  Infantry AI is  passable but AI driving is still not really any better (vehicles can't negotiate obstacles)

Overall I still play Arma3 every single day and love it (even with its foibles!)

Kremator.  Would you be able to test on rc. 

I'm running the latest server and client binaries from Dwarden.  AFAIK they have all the goodies inside the RC already.

6 hours ago, kremator said:

Player count?

Player count always depends on what you're playing. You'll have trouble finding public coop with actual players in the room, King of the Hill (a MANW - winning MP gamemode that recently became vanilla) has a large population, and it's still best to play with a group that has set event times so that the turnout is high.

I tend to play alone (or with a couple of people) on my dedi so I am more or less fully AI.

good questions.
i share my own point of view...
ARMA3 is still unique, and offers some things that really no other games do. BUT to be honest, still has major problems, that could be fixed easily, but for some reason BIS dont want to.
for this reason the community try yo fix this essential features by itself, in fact splitting the community.
join a MP server its a pain for me, because you have to download and enable the exact combination of mods for each server, plus each server has its own gameplay features, in fact making each server a sort of "total conversion".
must say that if you play always on the same server, this problem does not exist, as you will have just 1 configuration and gameplay.
to cut it short....if you hope for a solid game like battlefield, better look away, but if you have patience to overcome the many problems that arma3 still has,
and are not scared to play alone or with few friends on few "favourite" servers, well this sandbox will still give some good times!

PS: to not split community i tried to make a script collection, so server users can run it as vanilla but with enahnced features! here's the link:

Hello there, new player here. Got the Apex DLC on this sale. Specs: GTX 1060, Intel I7, 8GB of RAM.

I've heard rumours on how the game is unoptimized. The singleplayer actually runs great, I can get around 50-60 FPS, while multiplayer is slower, around 30-40, both settings on high. I've been susprised to see no lag on the Tanoa map, since most of it is a thick jungle.

I've been playing mostly Coop (Invade & Annex) since it's, in my opinion, the closer to a "true military simulation" you can have in the pubs. So far I've been having fun, player count seems to be very high and there are a lot of server variety.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordLoko said:

Hello there, new player here. Got the Apex DLC on this sale. Specs: GTX 1060, Intel I7, 8GB of RAM.

I've heard rumours on how the game is unoptimized. The singleplayer actually runs great, I can get around 50-60 FPS, while multiplayer is slower, around 30-40, both settings on high. I've been susprised to see no lag on the Tanoa map, since most of it is a thick jungle.

I've been playing mostly Coop (Invade & Annex) since it's, in my opinion, the closer to a "true military simulation" you can have in the pubs. So far I've been having fun, player count seems to be very high and there are a lot of server variety.

Don't believe anyone who says A3 is unoptimized. The lag supression deserves a separate mention - I can play with 135 ping just fine.

• Like 2

Been playing Arma3 since the Alpha, i would say the game has matured. And there are some exciting times ahead with the next DLCs due. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SpacePilotMax said:

Don't believe anyone who says A3 is unoptimized. The lag supression deserves a separate mention - I can play with 135 ping just fine.

Oh yeah, since I'm brazilian, I prefer to play in NA servers (Since most brazilian servers are Life/Wasteland/Exile trash) which has ping around ~150 and I don't see much lag at all, only when MY internet is failing when I get lag.