darkxess

Working on an Aircraft Carrier (some info needed)

Hey, guys, I am making a model of the HMS Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier, and though it's not so hard on making the model I am wondering on in-game sizes for the model scale I need to be going for?

I hear that real life height, lenght, and width etc is the same as in-game for ArmA 3? 

The specifications for the carrier's length 920ft. Height and others I don't know or haven't found yet! so how do I even scale this to size?

Thanks

• Like 1

This much we know, the rest is probably up to your artists eye...

Length: 280 m (920 ft)[8]
Beam:

39 m (128 ft) (waterline)

73 m (240 ft) overall[9][10]

Draught: 11 m (36 ft)

There are certain limitations to peripheral LOD sizes in arma3. E.g. the road lod cannot be longer then 40-50 meters, the geo lod cannot be composed of a single lod beyond that limit. So nowadays you probably want to create a resolution LOD of the complete carrier first, then add several p3d objects with the geo and road lod, which are limited to 40-50 meters size. For constructing the carrier in game, take a look at the functions for the Freedom, the CUP LHD or the Nimitz. Good luck, it's quite a task.

And just in case this is your first arma project, I would encourage you to start with something more limited in scope first. Like creating a rescue boat. Or a simple locker or box to stow stuff in on the carrier. The time spent there will not be in vain when tackling the carrier finally.

• Like 2

There was a good Queen Elizabeth-class carrier model for ArmA2. IIRC, JDog made it (same guy as the Nimitz). Somebody even started porting it, then lost interest after a while. It was a long time ago, but the model should still be good...

@rksl-rock was working on the QE Class Carrier some time ago. 

There is a gallery of their models of the HMS Queen Elizabeth on their website - http://www.rkslstudios.info/index.php?/gallery/album/39-hms-queen-elizabeth-cvf/

I don't know if it is still on ongoing project though, you could send him a PM to inquire further.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darkxess said:

Hey, guys, I am making a model of the HMS Queen Elizabeth Aircraft Carrier, and though it's not so hard on making the model I am wondering on in-game sizes for the model scale I need to be going for?

I hear that real life height, lenght, and width etc is the same as in-game for ArmA 3? 

The specifications for the carrier's length 920ft. Height and others I don't know or haven't found yet! so how do I even scale this to size?

Thanks

280m Long

35.7m at the waterline

70.2m Wide at the flight deck including sponsons

56m for keel to the top of the masthead

9 decks + flight deck

Hanger is 150 long and approx 26-30m wide. (guess based on pics during construction)

This might help you with your internal layout.

Good luck its a huge job to take on.

HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-deck-plan.jpg

2 hours ago, Uro said:

@rksl-rock was working on the QE Class Carrier some time ago. 

There is a gallery of their models of the HMS Queen Elizabeth on their website - http://www.rkslstudios.info/index.php?/gallery/album/39-hms-queen-elizabeth-cvf/

I don't know if it is still on ongoing project though, you could send him a PM to inquire further.

Its very much alive but its behind the LPD in priority.  Until recently I hadnt found a way around some of the issues i was facing.  Ive learnt a lot withthe LPD project.

• Like 4