Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

Some suggestions

Can you excellent island makers make an island that doesnt have a few cities, spread around the place, but make it more realistic, wit one huge city and a surrounding country area, with small villages.

Good idea.

I see several great new islands released, but most have 2 or 3 small, scattered cities.

An island with one BIG city, and several small towns would be better IMHO.

And the islands don't have to be huge, either. Something the size of Kolgujev would be quite sufficient for most missions.

i personally wouldnt mind if there were islands with a little more open space like the plains on Nogova...so i guess having the one big town/city would mean the surrounding could be open ground

It is a good idea, except that more buildings=more polys. A large city would be very chuggy on many computers, especially once you start adding a lot of units. This would be a high-end machine island only...but the flip-side would be that in a city (on foot) you could drop the viewdistance right down without much of a noticable difference...that coulc be used to improve performance.

imo. the main problem in island editing is the lack of useable tools, wrp edit inteface is horribly slow to use and there hasnt been anything about Visitor release :/

Huge cities filled with fences, houses etc. put a bigger strain on the cpu/gpu, most notably at night with the lights on and whatnot. A city twice the size of Lipany would restrict many people running on sub 2Ghz class machines to choppy frame rates.

Discussions like this go into "Work in Progress" forum.

Moving smile.gif

I'm an island maker and I have put 2 large towns on mine with a few villages here and there.  But if you prefer open country, I can remove some of the buildings...

I want my island to be used by as many people as possible so suggestions are helpfull. smile.gif

My new site should have some screenshots there, although you'll have to wait until the bandwidth resets confused.gif .(link in siggy.) smile.gif Meanwhile check the EC page. (Also in siggy! wink.gif )

Waterman.

A LARGE (very large) city (Manhattan style!wink.gif with a small country would be good, based on the point that there is none of the kind. I want some type of an urban war, or even a mob style missions. OFP has a good engine for that (even GTA style missions). Now we just need a properly fit island.

Also, please dont mix apartments with normal houses, because that looks very stupid. Try to make it look more organized, such as no grass beside rivers, beaches, a very "Vice City" or Miami style island, just make your own buildings, with very few polys, and it'll work fine. (By this I ment make sky scraper style stuff only detailed at the bottom, not at the top.

Falling through the floor in buildings, and not being able to shoot from a car isn't exactly the best engine for GTA3.

I find good things to have stuck out in the middle of nowhere are churches. With a graveyard and a wall they make excellent objective points for a mission, especiialy if you leave enough room nearby to set up a base.

Also another good thing to have on islands are thick forests with roads running through them, makes for good ambushes on tanks and such like.

A small village in a thick forest could be good.

The closest thing that I know of currently being made is an island for the Bloody Days Mod. Check out this thread for more info:

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse....id=3384

It might be the sort of thing you are looking for. If not, can I politely suggest making it yourself smile.gif You seem to have a very clear idea of what you want, and unless someone is already well down the track (like Jakerod), you won't lose any time by starting it now....WRPEdit isn't hard to learn, it's just very time consuming confused.gif

I think Waterman's island and mine are the two closest ones to the kind you want out there.... WEll mines not really an island...its more of a piece of land. I am trying to make a lot of country side stuff and forests scattered farms and things like that.

Waterman's is also really good. My favorite released island so far even though its not complete it is still really cool.

USMC Sniper, I agree with your points 110%. You nailed it right on.

Jakerod, waterman, and any other island makers, plz consider these points.

Also, make some canals and bridges of them. Like in Naples (Italy or LB, CA). Cuz that would be bitchin'. How hard would they be to make? (not a rhetorical question)

Large cities... can't really do that in OFP. I mean, my comp (A 2.0GHZ 256MB RAM GF2 MX/MX Nvidia) seems to slow down a bit even when just in Lipany. And that's the biggest city (that or Pertovice?). Anything much bigger than that would wreak havoc on peoples FPS.

I like the whole scatterd thing. Small town, with farms all over. Very north european look. I like it a lot.

The canals would be almost impossible. I was talking about it with someone before and think that to get 50m of canal done it would take about 2 hours using the way im thinking of.

It would take a LOOOOOOONG time to make such a map. Months and months....a year I would say is a good estimate a for a bug free, well lined up map in the order of what you are talking about.

This whole discussion reminds me a little bit of a Quake3 map I once dloaded called Chartes (based on the French cathedral). It was a stunningly beautiful map, loads of custom shaders, immaculate in every detail. Runs at about 9FPS on a 1.8G P4 with a Geforce3Ti....and is consequently quite useless. I have feeling a map like the one you are talking about would end up in much the same catagory. As fantastic as the map (island, not mission) would be, 90% of people couldn't run it, and would be hitting the delete button fairly sharpish.

Download Waterman's or Jakerod's islands instead biggrin.gif

Well I started my island in July (6 months almost) and it's not even finished!  But I suggest if it's big open fields and large towns Jakerods does seem to match that so far (dunno if he's doing large cities though).

I might consider making 1 more island after Skye and it would be either large with big open spaces and large towns and stuff, or a group of smaller islands.

An island(?) based on the city of Inverness in Scotland (where I live) would be plausable.  Large city, open spaces, hills, (sheep?), and the caledonian canal.

Waterman. smile.gif  tounge.gif

oh, one more thing- concrete textures in urban areas.

Seriously, it really bothers me when grass grows all over apartments. Look at the best urban area out there, Saint-Charles on Helleden.

I live in Saint Charles. Not gonna say which state but i live there. And there are concrete textures. In the res textures its called Beton.paa or Beton.pac.

I already said how to increase framerate on a large city map, make the bottom of the buildinga bit more detailed, and make the higher part a rectangle with textures, maybe even smaller ones. I know at the current state, with WRP edit it is hard to make a good city island, but hopefully visitor will be as intuitive as O2 (IMO) then we can make some good cities, with maybe a bit of country side. Also as I said, make cities look natural, for example a small town in the middle of nowhere would NOT have apartments, it would have a few cottages. ONE MORE THING: when making an island, think about how ppl would live there. Hint: STORES!!! wink.gif

People would not live in an urban area with lots of apartments that doesnt have a single store, or shop! Think as if you were the mayor of the island, making it to suite the needs of people that live there, such as putting factories further away from palces where ppl live, farms in the countryside, not in the middle of a large city, make airports have those carparks, and do not mix 1 to 2 story homes with apartments, trust me it looks absolutely terrible! Also please do not make only European style country side islands, make beach side cities (im thinking Miami style), and make regions for the cities, such as the richer side of town, the run-down slums, the suburban area, the shopping area, the buisness area, etc! I could just go on forever with suggestions, but I'll stop here, hopefully this is enough on how to make a realistic city-island.