Sign in to follow this  
-TNF-The Rocket

What was u'r first tought?

I was following the progress of it a few months before release of the demo, finnaly it was released! I downloaded it and was blown away... played the same mission everyday and it was always different. Can you get much better that? Atmosphere is top notch. Then Phaeden released the demo mission editor. That got me really hooked wink.gif I inported it on the day of release from europe and been hooked ever since.

I had the demo on a CD and after installation I was instantly addicted to it. It brought many of my army feelings back, sitting in the truck and waiting for the deployment. Listening to your comrades dizzing each other. Like in real life!

Then I ran up the first hill and suddenly movement in front of me. My heart stuck and I panically aimed over metalsight and dropped the enemy soldier with half my magazine. After the others had been finished off by my squad I tried to follow my officer`s commands but failed. I was to busy to avoid fire from the village below. And got killed soon after I stood up to look after my mates  tounge.gif

I loved that mission, because it really was different everytime I played it and the enemy acted so smart in contrast to all the other games I played before. Almost like real soldiers.

Remember the enemy UAZ that drives to the village with some russians. The first time they killed me, the second time I killed them, when they stopped in the village. The third time I shot at them while they approached my position and they turned the UAZ and fled! A totally awesome experience!! And when I found out, that you could even flatten the tires I was totally in love with the demo.

I even liked watching the sequence in which the two russian soldiers guard their little post and get attacked. I was always curious, how the sequence ended, like I was watching a movie!  biggrin.gif

And it was mean from BIS, that the demo mission ended with a bailout over enemy territory! Terrible Cliffhanger!  tounge.gif

Still now I can`t stop babbling enthusiastically  smile.gif  biggrin.gif

I never played the demo confused.gif

I saw this game in the store. Looked at it, read what it said and it sounded pretty neat. So I bought it and well, you know my reaction here. I love my OFP!

i played the demo the first time when we stayed at my cousin's house for a week. he hatet it so i couldn't try it properly. but i was impressed by those graphics and ingame cutscenes!

later i bought the game when it was already out for some weeks. but i trieded the demo again and i still love it! since then i'm addicted to OFP. tounge.gif i wouldn't know what to do without it! biggrin.gif

what immediately impressed me was the melancholy music of the desert island title screen, that loads everytime the game comes on. the atmosphere!

also: the utter absence of the nihilism and gore a lot of computer games seem to have. the soldiers in OFP were cool, collected types, who had a job to do.

felt like I was on the right team.

...I remember how uptied I became when I placed my first head shot into an enemy. (even tangos are made in the image of God, you know... )

when I realized the potential of the editor I was hooked. I could stick a message into a mission or campaign and entertain all at the same time!!!

OFP won't die. I'm looking forward to the second edition.

To be truthful, the demo sucked from all the bugs it had IMO. The graphics wasnt that good, the sound I really hated, and the terrible vioceovers too... I mean, "Oh no, 3 is down" or "All, Danger" sound very dumb. 1.46 was good from a gameplay standpoint, but the graphics and sound really let me down. However, Resistance truly fixed nearly everything, exept some bugs and limitations that anger me to no end.

I was blown away by the demo. I hadn't even heard of it, and loaded it because I was bored one day. I was so impressed at how "big" it felt. I also felt bad for the poor dude that climbed into the jeep with me because I gave him the ride of this life (until it ended tragically after driving off a cliff).

I have to state just about everything Othin said, I had pretty much all the same impressions.

"I have GOT to get this game!"

Generally what I say when I play any demo.

I didn't play the demo. I just went to the store one day and saw it and said, what the hell, $29.00... has to be good... and immediatley I was hooked (on a 500MHZ machine, LOL!wink.gif. Now I am at 1.33 GHZ with an Athlon and I am a happy camper.

Where is OFP2? I want it now... NOW!

well I got the demo at my friend's house cuz I had 56k and I heard about ofp at the simhq forums for F22 total air war. My friends pc was crappy, and he h8d the game, but I kept going to his house to play it. So I thought about getting my other rich friend to buy it when it would come out as I was broke, and he did. The only problem is that he h8d it so I bought it from him. The 1st missions untill well after montignac, I never managed to kill anyone, what the heck, I didnt even know how to use ironsight properly, cuz it wasnt a crosshair lol!!! Now I look so much experienced I am amazed I couldnt play the game at all......

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Nov. 13 2002,13:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sometime in May 2001 in Kosovo, sombody installed the demo on a laptop that belonged to my group. I hadn't played a computer game for more then five months so I liked it very very much. I remember that I tried to get the others to realize how fun it was but they thought that I was very weird and after a while they were annoyed that I occupied the laptop so often. Finally somebody removed it from the laptop after a couple of weeks. sad.gif

Lack of time and lack of proper internet connection made me not play it until july when I was back in Sweden and bought it.

The most striking thing about my reaction to playing the demo was the fear of getting shot, which I havn't experienced in any other game so far.<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed, to everything except the being in Kosovo part.

OFP was the first game I ever played where I felt it as if I was actually running around there myself.

Spec Ops, Rainbow 6, and all the other military-style games all felt like games. OFP was more real, somehow. I also remember thinking 'Conserve your ammo, conserve your ammo' when I was running around there. No other game has been like that.

In both Spec Ops and Rainbow 6 you are so loaded with ammo it's not even funny. You have something upwards to 10 30-round mags for your main weapon, 5 mags for your secondary, and you can carry 14 LAWs (or equivalent). At least it felt like it.

And that was just the infantry part of it.

The vehicles, oh the vehicles. You got to drive them yourself, and man the guns.

OFP is teh bestz0r biggrin.gif

I was completely blown away by the demo, it was everything I hoped for and more.

RED

i was lost on the island the first time, and that island, had like no limitations

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In both Spec Ops and Rainbow 6 you are so loaded with ammo it's not even funny. You have something upwards to 10 30-round mags for your main weapon, 5 mags for your secondary, and you can carry 14 LAWs (or equivalent). At least it felt like it.

<span id='postcolor'>

But weapon loads are too limited in OFP. I mean, come on you can carry a lot more than 3 m16 mags and 3 40mm grenades in real life! I hope they fix that in Independence Lost and OFP 2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ Nov. 13 2002,17:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In both Spec Ops and Rainbow 6 you are so loaded with ammo it's not even funny. You have something upwards to 10 30-round mags for your main weapon, 5 mags for your secondary, and you can carry 14 LAWs (or equivalent). At least it felt like it.

<span id='postcolor'>

But weapon loads are too limited in OFP. I mean, come on you can carry a lot more than 3 m16 mags and 3 40mm grenades in real life! I hope they fix that in Independence Lost and OFP 2<span id='postcolor'>

There are some stuff with the weapons that have to be changed but you gotta admit that this is one of the most realistic games out there. If not the most realistic one!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Nov. 14 2002,12:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Shouldn't this topic be in the 'General' forum?<span id='postcolor'>

shouldn't you act like a member instead of a moderator? confused.gif

OFP would blow if you could carry realistic amounts of ammo and 'nades. Think about it.

My friend (serves in the army) tells me that a usual ammo-load for a standard mission is 6-10 clips. That's the plain-old.

If you could have that in OFP (10x30 = 300) it wouldn't be fun to play.

Imagine, you could easily just drop down, and start firing at everything you saw. "F**k how much ammo I am wasting, I'm carrying more than I need anyway!"

That would, IMO, not be fun to play.

The thing about OFP is (I'm thinking SP here, in MP everyone loads up with 9 clips anyhow) that you have enough ammo to complete your mission, and then some. It was only at the beginning (especially in the demo) when I wasn't very experienced with OFP that I wasted all of my ammo, and felt a need for more.

Now-a-days, I play missions with the standard load (30 rounds + 3 clips = 120 rounds) and I finish them with many rounds left, at least 30 in the gun and an extra clip.

That's all you need.

And I should mention that I'm the kind of guy that likes to take them -all- out. I don't play it safe and order my troops forward. I try and take out all the enemies I can.

So, I would love for the soldiers to be able to carry more, but not realistic amounts.

I think that a system where you get X clips, X grenades, X handgun clips, -1- LAW/RPG, X flares, X hand grenades/smoke grenades, and so on is much better.

You can carry a set amount of a certain item, but they don't interfere with eachother. Am I making sense?

Let's say a maximum load of clips is 7, a max load of hand grenades is 6, max load of underslung 'nades is 5, you can carry:

7 clips

6 hand grenades/smoke grenades

5 underslung grenades

Making more sense now?

I'll just shut up then.

read it in a magazine then one came with a demo then i got the game only becuase i liked what the demo offerred.

I might not of got it if i hadn`t played the demo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 14 2002,18:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Nov. 14 2002,12wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Shouldn't this topic be in the 'General' forum?<span id='postcolor'>

shouldn't you act like a member instead of a moderator?   confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

There's irony for you smile.gif

As this thread is not far off the 2 years on or whatever that thread in General was called this thread can either stay here or be closed as a dupe, I don't mind either way smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ Nov. 13 2002,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A few weeks later after he constantly kept on harrasing me I eventually got a warez copy (version 1.0) and played it.

1.0 itself was filled with a shitload of bugs, especially tanks shaking from side to side, so it wasn't exactly the best first impression, although something made me want to come back to it day after day.

After about 2 weeks or so after druling over the bug fixes and new units on the Flashpoint website which now offered version 1.42 or something like that I knew I had to buy it as updates wouldn't install to a warez copy.<span id='postcolor'>

Admitting to warez? Not good advocatexxx. Consider yourself post restricted until adequate proof of purchase has been presented (through PM).

I fell in love with this game when i saw it in a preview. The preview started with 'run to a jeep then drive to a tank. Take the tank to an airfield and fly in a plane while kicking Russian ass.' This is what really caught me... I had heard that a friend had a demo, but knowing him he lost it so i went out and got a mag that had a demo on it.

Sadly the demo wouldnt work properly on my computer and thats when i really wet my pants as i thought that OFP wouldnt work. Although luckily on the day of its release I nervously gave the shopkeeper of HMV 34.99. I rushed home to see if it would work and HALLELUJAH it did. I loved it from the very first milisecond. I spent the whole of the summer holidays playing it 24/7..... wait a sec, I still do biggrin.gif

I first heard of ofp in Pc Magazine when they were doing a spotlight on some new game that wasn't even finished yet called: Flashpoint: Status Quo (They hadn't even been signed up to a developer then!wink.gif

Months passed and a small demo mission was released that totally blew me away.. It was unlike any game i'd played before and was something I hoped somoene would make sometime.. I seem to remember the demo playing like a bitch on my old P3 700! I was reluctant to spend 34.99 on something that wouldn't work properly and I'm glad that they sorted it out for the release..

It is my favourite game ever, I played it to death and loved every minute of it back then.. And it's probably the one game I regularly play most.. I even got a broadband connection just to play it online! biggrin.gif

My first thought was "I need a new computer"

I swear, at first I was running the game at a view distance of maybe 20 feet, minimum detail all around, and getting about 10 fps. And I still loved it. Go figure