fn_Quiksilver

Star Wars mod, what is going on?

I think I still have the original mod somewhere. I ll take a look.

Edit: there we go...

SPZRl3Y.png

Well the speeder is a good example. But the BHI mod wasn´t that big to begin with, so "just a weapon, a bike and some gear"  is quite precise.

If EA or Disney get involved, it'll start with a Cease and desist. I'm sure this red bear clan are well aware of it. There's nothing "heroic" or rebellious about their project. If they ignore it however, we'll see how much resolve they have. They'd be picking two of the worst companies to get into a pissing contest with legally. If there's one thing they're not short of, it's money and lawyers.

Pomigit simply didn't want the potential hassle. Which isn't unreasonable. Except maybe in the mind of a spoilt child, who doesn't actually have to deal with the situation.

The problem I assume, is that they're using BHI stuff without permission. Whether it's an entire fleet or a pair of socks is irrelevant. I really don't think he gives a toss about whether they're using ripped assets. EA and Disney are more than capable of taking care of business on their own.

• Like 7

Hey guys!
We do not use a single object, vehicles, weapons or other from this old little mod.

We have our own speedbike, take a closer look.
He is very different from what Blue Harvest did.

Edited by JMax

4 hours ago, bloodwyn1756 said:

Well the speeder is a good example. But the BHI mod wasn´t that big to begin with, so "just a weapon, a bike and some gear"  is quite precise.

Thats not the point, using content from another mod without permission is not how this community works. 

5 minutes ago, JMax said:

Maybe something is taken from other games, but from this mod is nothing. Absolutely.

You do realise that is not allowed either, you need permission to use such content from the publisher etc

• Like 6

Here's a full breakdown for you.

6 months ago Jmax, Clon and his little buddies messaged me and McRuppert telling us about their wonderful mod. Boasting a vast quantity of ripped content. And mixed in there was the IA mod. Not just models, but sounds, animations, blaster fx, etc. Yes they actually admitted using and redistributing our mod!

Both McRuppert and I made it clear that they could not use our work. Simply put we did not want our work mixed up in ripped content which more than likely will end up in legal action.

Fast forward a few months and videos continue to pop up on YouTube of their mod. Low and behold it still contains IA mod content. 

They contacted us again, assuming that we would be impressed by their progress but I reiterated my original message that it must not contain IA assets.

EDIT:

@BohemiaBeck can verify this because I reported the messages to moderators. I also still have the messages for anyone that seriously wants to challenge the validity of this.

A few weeks ago a YouTuber called Konoa posted a video of the mod. Apparently he's now their official promoter. The video perported to show off the mod with a "new map sent by the team". The map in question was Hanter's Gorge which I recently released. 

I responded on YouTube and told Konoa the map was not made by their team and he needed to provide appropriate credit. Konoa never responded but Jmax and his buddies did. Lashing  out and trying to claim it was not the same map but instead the "Strange New Worlds" map that Bushlurker made.

I also made it clear that if this mod was released on steam and it still contained imperial Assault assets then I would DMCA it. 

Fast forward to this weekend and the mod is released on steam. 

I didn't even know about it until I started receiving a barrage of insults thru the BHI Facebook page (which as a result Ive disabled) and my YouTube channel.

As it turned out someone else decided to DMCA it. Ive no idea who but I'm copping the abuse.

I haven't even downloaded the mod to confirm yet whether it still includes IA assets.

Whilst I think they're stupid for using ripped content I have no claim to that. So they're more than welcome to line themselves up in the firing line with Disney's lawyers.

So in summary the angry masses have put two together, we must have DMCA'd it and we are a bunch of assholes for doing so.

It really makes you question why you even bother creating mods when this is the crap you have to put up with. Not worth it

• Like 29

Sadly this situation is like a bad spoof movie when the same jokes are in a endlees loop.

Worse than that they are stealing a good man  ( D.E.P ) like Bushlurker that gives all his support to this community, this scum dont have any education or human feeling.

A DMCA  and a complete removal of this garbage is a perfect solution to this issue.

• Like 3

Wow. The bounds of assholyness never ceases to amaze me.

For the record pomigit is an extremely generous guy and has let me use his Stormtrooper voices as radio voices for spec ops- The amount of work that goes just into that audio editing is astounding. In short - I hope those guys have good lawyers..

• Like 6

I feel you, Pomigit...

That's the perfect example of uneducated morrons killing the motivation for modders who actually have talent. I should be used to it by now (us leaving in the Internet Era), but that's incredible how narrow-minded people can be toxic.

EDIT : I don't know what pisses me off the most : the guys ripping content, or the comments on the SW page. :facepalm:

• Like 5

13 hours ago, pomigit said:

It really makes you question why you even bother creating mods when this is the crap you have to put up with. Not worth it

You know, it sucks when a few turd nuggets ruin it for everyone else, but you know for every turd nugget there's a lot of good people in this community that will look after you and take care of you.  For all you know the person who filed a DMCA did so on your behalf after seeing it was using ripped content.

• Like 5

That is just terribly sad that the Opposition team has stooped to such low levels to release the thing, which of course has brought so much interest in the overall sheer volume of content that the super jerks are now joining them to defend work that is mostly stolen.

Unfortunately steam has proved imo to be a mixed bag Imo, a decent mix of casual gamers that may not have otherwise posted in Armaholic in response to user made content they have played, and there is the jerk volume as well that can even come across as some sort of a gang at its worst.

What is going on with the threads on Steam regarding SW Opposition is really a sad thing, as yea, I saw the behavior getting worse and worse as people are going ballistic like a bunch of jerk children because their illegal SW overhaul is more important than their honor and their integrity - and I say illegal because I did download the thing, not really realizing what was going on, nor the scope of it - and .. wow, it looks like a potentially MASSIVE amount of copyrighted SW models are in there, enough to really create an entire new game out of Arma 3 - and that is where I finally decided to remove the thing from my system - the whole thing is likely hugely illegal.

I really am thinking SW Opposition may be one of the biggest, if not the biggest copyright infringement cases involving Star Wars video game content ever - and I seriously doubt that Lucas is going to just ignore something this blatant, even if it does get hosted only on a private website.

I've been following the revelations regarding the current situation with some intrigue - mostly garnered from various postings on reddit, the arma 3 discord and some of the linked steam workshop/forum pages regarding this.

I must say some of the comments on the Steam Workshop are pretty vile, those people should really go and take a good long hard look at themselves.

Anyways, following the claims of using BHI Studios content without permission I thought I'd compare the two, so I downloaded SW Opposition and compared it to the previously released BHI Imperial Assault mod and here are the results:

I'm pretty sure you can come to the same conclusion I did, that they are most definately using content from BHI Studios Imperial Assault mod.

Also note the weapon reticles near the end, they have simply rotated the texture 180 degrees' and are trying to claim it is their own content.

If this is what they deem  as creating their own content, god help us all.

• Like 13

20 hours ago, Delta Hawk said:

... but you know for every turd nugget there's a lot of good people in this community that will look after you and take care of you ...

huh?

the "dont give a fukkk lemme play" community on Steam is faaar bigger than the community here who speak out against the thievery

ktMb3y8.png

A more statistically accurate statement is probably:  "For every good person here, there are dozens of turd nuggets who dont care about the content creator and just wants access to the stolen property."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uro said:

I've been following the revelations regarding the current situation with some intrigue - mostly garnered from various postings on reddit, the arma 3 discord and some of the linked steam workshop/forum pages regarding this.

I must say some of the comments on the Steam Workshop are pretty vile, those people should really go and take a good long hard look at themselves.

Yes you are right, the community in this forum, especially in this topic is far superior when I read things like calling other people: "this scum dont have any education or human feeling. " , " That's the perfect example of uneducated morrons killing the motivation for modders who actually have talent. " , " You know, it sucks when a few turd nuggets ruin it for everyone else, but you know for every turd nugget there's a lot of good people in this community that will look after you and take care of you. " and so on... I don't want to defend people that are using bad words on Steam platform but some people in here are not better they only think they are. And this is the official forum of Arma 3 where such language is tolerated...

15 minutes ago, Kazalla said:

Yes you are right, the community in this forum, especially in this topic is far superior when I read things like calling other people: "this scum dont have any education or human feeling. " , " That's the perfect example of uneducated morrons killing the motivation for modders who actually have talent. " , " You know, it sucks when a few turd nuggets ruin it for everyone else, but you know for every turd nugget there's a lot of good people in this community that will look after you and take care of you. " and so on... I don't want to defend people that are using bad words on Steam platform but some people in here are not better they only think they are. And this is the official forum of Arma 3 where such language is tolerated...

Who says such language is tolerated? If you feel the language is inappropriate then report it and the moderating team will investigate. The difference between steam and here is that there is a moderating team. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Kazalla said:

I never said the language used in some instances on this forum is superior, I said some of the comments I had witnessed on the Steam forums were pretty vile.

So please do not misconstrue my comments for your own devices.

Anyways irrespective of language used, I am pretty sure the OP and others within this thread would want this thread kept on topic for reasons of clarity to others.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

Who says such language is tolerated? If you feel the language is inappropriate then report it and the moderating team will investigate. The difference between steam and here is that there is a moderating team. 

I say that and it appears that it is tolerated here because you are Moderator of this Forum and you liked every single Reply I quoted...

8 minutes ago, Kazalla said:

I say that and it appears that it is tolerated here because you are Moderator of this Forum and you liked every single Reply I quoted...

Well personally i have no issue with the language been used in the thread so far, however if you feel differently please report the posts in question with reasons why and they can be investigated as appropriate.

Now i hope we can get back on topic. 

• Like 2

If people are using what you might call, harsh language, it's probably a result of frustration and anger. Born of personal experience. I can see from some of the usernames attached to replies, that they're modders themselves. Not to mention that Pomigit is getting some flak from people who know nothing about him. 

I don't know about you, but that's something even I would find irritating. Especially when requests are ignored. Requests that are often not lead with insults or anger. But are certainly met with plenty of it. And often with much worse language than what you see above. I know there are a lot of decent folk both here and visiting the workshop. But it doesn't seem to be regulated to a high degree by Valve. Which is in part, the reason this situation exists.

One other thing. I see people throwing around arguments about pettiness. I think it's far more petty to continue uploading, or creating threads out of spite, just to take some jabs at a person who wants a little control over something they created. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Uro said:

Anyways, following the claims of using BHI Studios content without permission I thought I'd compare the two, so I downloaded SW Opposition and compared it to the previously released BHI Imperial Assault mod and here are the results:

I'm pretty sure you can come to the same conclusion I did, that they are most definately using content from BHI Studios Imperial Assault mod.

Also note the weapon reticles near the end, they have simply rotated the texture 180 degrees' and are trying to claim it is their own content.

If this is what they deem  as creating their own content, god help us all.

Thank you for putting this together and confirming what I think is no surprise to anyone.

Unfortunately due to the large amount of negative reaction targeted at myself and the BHI team I will not be pursuing this. I'm having to swallow my pride and let it go because it's not worth the stress.

As I've said here and on steam multiple times, I didn't issue the DMCA, and frankly if I had, at this stage I'd be retracting it.

Despite this no doubts if the DMCA goes through I'll cop the blame and will have to deal with more abuse. So for me this is effectively the end of modding. I'm done

18 minutes ago, Kazalla said:

So you have no problem when they call Arma 3 community members "scum", " uneducated morrons ", "turd nugget" and so on? 

Nope......the guys who are responsible for this particular mod steer clear of this platform for obvious reasons, I'd imagine they'd feel right at home in Mos Eisley Cantina.

18 minutes ago, Kazalla said:

Can I call some members in this topic like this as well? 

Nope......most of the members who have commented in this thread are genuine and loyal to this forum, can't you feel the frustration they feel?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kazalla said:

So you have no problem when they call Arma 3 community members "scum", " uneducated morrons ", "turd nugget" and so on? Can I call some members in this topic like this as well? Can I call you like this, or would this be a problem for you?

Maybe try to put yourself in our shoes : creating original content (for free) is a huge amount of work. The only thing modders ask in return is credit (and respect of their license and IP).

So yes, we do speak with frustration and anger whenever people are stealing modded work, not giving credit whatsoever and, on top of that, acting entitled like this dudes.

We've already "lost" excellent modders over that kind of nonsense - and now Pomigit seems to be giving up too. This is doing more damage than good, all over the board, and I think we are in fact pretty civil, all things considered...

• Like 3