Best Sniper Simulator

Military Sniper Quick Windage Formula in Arma 3 (with ACE3 mod) for Fast Wind Drift Compensation

Dear Arma community,
I'd like to share some very useful military sniper technique called "Todd Hodnett Quick Windage Formula" which can be used in Arma 3 (especially with ACE3 mod). This technique was made by a famous gun instructor named Todd Hodnett. It has been used by military snipers (especially USMC, Navy Seal, & US Army) to calculate the windage/wind hold very fast without even using any ballistics calculator. You can use this formula for any kind of projectile (but you have to adjust it depending on the BC though)!

here's the easy & simple Todd Hodnett Quick Windage Formula:

Windage (Miliradian) = Wind Speed (mph) / BC 1st decimal number X Target Range (converted to 0.xxx Miliradian)

"Wind Speed" is the FINAL VALUE of wind speed (not its real speed) after taking Wind Direction into account!

"BC 1st decimal number" is the 1st decimal number of your BC (0.4xx BC → 4 ; 0.5xx BC → 5 ; 0.6xx BC → 6 ; 0.7xx BC → 7 ; 0.8xx BC → 8 ; 0.9xx BC → 9 ; 1.xxx BC → 10 ; so on)

"Target Range converted to Miliradian" is the conversion of the target range into miliradian:
100 m = 0.1 mil 
200 m = 0.2 mil
300 m = 0.3 mil
400 m = 0.4 mil
500 m = 0.5 mil
600 m = 0.7 mil → adding 0.1 mil due to velocity bleed off (depending on the BC though) 
700 m = 0.8 mil
800 m = 0.9 mil
900 m = 1.0 mil
1000 m = 1.1 mil
so on

After getting the windage, snipers use their mildot reticle to compensate for that wind drift. They're using the mildot to hold to the left or right of the target for the wind drift.

NEVER dial the scope adjutment turret for the wind coz it's useless (wind is always constantly changing)!!! :( 
so always hold for the wind!!!

For example:

you're shooting M24 SWS rifle loaded with M118LR ammo (BC = 0.485 (G1)). Wind blows 12 mph from the Left to the Right. Your target is at 600 m away from you. What's your windage? :/

Windage (Mil) = Wind Speed (mph) / BC 1st decimal number X Target Range (converted to 0.xxx Mil)
Windage (Mil) = 12 mph / 4 X 0.600 Mil
Windage (Mil) = 1.8 Mil to the Right of your target

so to compensate for that wind, you hold 1.8 Miliradian into the direction in which the wind comes from (you hold 1.8 Miliradian to the left of your target just like in the picture below).

Never dial-in for the Wind Drift! You always have to hold into the direction in which the wind comes from (just like in the picture above)!

This can be used for 5.56 mm with a BC of .3xx, using 3 mph window (adding 0.1 mil at 500 m and beyond)
This can be used for 300 Win Mag with a BC of .5xx using 5 mph window (adding 0.1 mil at 700 m and beyond)
This can be used for 338 LM with a BC of .6xx using 6 mph window (adding 0.1 mil at 800 m and beyond)and so on.

this technique is best to hold off for the wind especially when wind is changing like crazy 
give this a try, it'll get your shot 100% dead on the target! i tried it in this game & it surprisingly works! 

To demonstrate it, i show you some of my sniper videos i just made. Those videos ain't about to show off my skill or anything (i'm a noob actually lol). I just wanna show you guys how "Todd Hodnett Quick Windage Formula" works in Arma 3 (with ACE3).I put all the loadout specs & ballistics analysis in the video description. Sorry for not narrating the videos coz i don't got time :(

Sniper Quick Windage Formula with USMC M40A5 rifle (in 7.62x51 mm Nato cartridge) &  M118LR ammo -->

Sniper Quick Windage Formula with NSWC MK13 mod 5 rifle (in 300 winchester magnum cartridge) & MK248 mod 0 ammo -->

Sniper Quick Windage Formula with AI L115A3 rifle (in 338 Lapua Magnum cartridge) & Blackhills Sierra 300 gr MK ammo -->

Sniper Quick Windage Formula with NSWC MK12 mod 1 SPR (in 5.56x45 mm Nato cartridge) & MK262 mod 1 ammo -->

Sniper Quick Windage Formula with CheyTac M200 Intervention (in 408 CheyTac cartridge) & CheyTac 419 gr Lost River ammo -->

So that's how military snipers deal with Wind Drift.

Very fast and easy!

Just try it yourself ;)

if you got some time, please check out my youtube channel here --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx6ZpuRmlNlAhAgha9zthbw 
it's a non-commercial channel exclusively all about Arma 3 ACE3 Sniper videos.
i always put all the complete weapon specification & ballistics analysis in the video description.
i hope you all can learn long range precision shooting from that channel.

Please share the knowledge with others coz knowing is half the battle ;)

Good shooting!

-Best Sniper Simulator-

• Like 6

Ooops I forgot to mention this! >_<

when you do the Todd Hodnett “Quick Windage Formula”, you gotta remember that Wind Direction will affect the FINAL VALUE of the overall Wind Speed as described in the following illustration!

1410666.jpg

For instance:
you're shooting M24 SWS rifle loaded with M118LR ammo (BC = 0.485 (G1)). Wind blows 12 mph to the left of your target at 2 o'clock. Your target is at 600 m away from you. What's your windage? :/

Windage (Mil) = Final Value of the Wind Speed (mph) / BC 1st decimal number X Target Range (converted to 0.xxx Mil)
Windage (Mil) = (12 mph x 0.75) / 4 X 0.600 Mil
Windage (Mil) = 1.35 Mil to the left of your target

so to compensate for that wind, you hold 1.35 Mil to the right of your target!

Great guide! Although, in the comments to one of your videos, you specify that you're not using the Uprange wind speed (the one you can measure with your Kestrel), but the Downrange speed, by looking at the color of the arrow and the angle of the Mirage.

Could you be more specific, please? I can't really see what you mean when you say the mirage is angled 45* (don't really see anything in the scope), and how would a different angle inform you about the wind speed?