TAG_Mako

Mission Editing: Tracked Vehicle Insertion headaches

Howdy all, 

First time poster, although I have used this forum for its knowledge bank for a while now. However, I need some help (apologies in advance if this particular question has been answered, I've spent hours scouring these forums and the web for an answer to this).

I am currently designing a series of scenarios on the Arma 3 Fallujah v1.2 map, and sticking to historical accuracy during the Second Battle of Fallujah, I am having the initial insertion conducted via Bradley IFVs from the CUP Vehicles pack. The problem I am having is forcing the vehicles to stay on the road, not veer off course and above all, to unload their dismounts under enemy small arms fire whilst providing gun support (I think there may be an RPG unit somewhere but it is in no way excessive AT). It seems as though even an insurgent with a bolt-action Lee Enfield is able to make a 20-something tonne armoured fighting vehicle slam on its brakes, and run in the opposite direction. Ideally, the Bradley's would roll in picking off targets, stop, unload the dismounts, an wait for further instruction (I'll probably just have them move off further down the road and hold position until infantry call them back in). I had somewhat success by limiting the speed to 15km/h, setting their behaviour to "Careless" and severely handicapping how many OPFOR AI are in the drop off zone (I had intended for a platoon strength of OPFOR to meet the dismounts, shortly to be reinforced via a spawn script, but that seems like a distant dream).

What tends to happen is the Bradleys advance nicely in their column (no groups, every unit is individual with its separate dismounts), rip into a couple of AI with the autocannon, and then hook a left or right turn and drive off in the opposite direction, without dropping any of the dismounts. So my questions are this: is what I want to do possible, with a guaranteed success rate (i.e., no more running off on their own agenda), and what scripts / init commands will I need to achieve this? Note, I have tested with two types of Bradley IFV, a wheeled IFV and an M113 APC. Helo insertion works perfect every time, but that is because the Super Stallion helicopters don't have any armaments and thus I would presume they wouldn't encounter this unique problem. Ultimately, if it cannot be done, I may have to can the initial idea and just opt for a different insertion technique and create a fictional set of scenarios based on that map.

Cheers in advance,

Mako.

I haven't done much actual mission making myself, but it might be worth checking if setting the driver's state to "careless". I believe that just makes the AI ignore everything but the waypoints.

Try putting the driver of the vehicle in a different group and set him "CARELESS". The commander and gunner remain "AWARE" or "COMBAT". Play around with this idea eg putting the commander in single group etc. Not tested.

47 minutes ago, 7erra said:

Try putting the driver of the vehicle in a different group and set him "CARELESS". The commander and gunner remain "AWARE" or "COMBAT". Play around with this idea eg putting the commander in single group etc. Not tested.

Seems to not work any more, the commander seems to have total control even when not grouped to the driver.

It's about pilots but also discusses vehicles with a  commander

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/191955-make-pilot-ignore-enemy-contacts/

You can let the driver "aware" or else independently of the gunner or commander with:

this (editor) or driver mybradley disableAi "autocombat";

I apply this solution for a vehicle able to engage with lights on at night. gunner is in combat mode, driver stays in aware mode.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll try a few of these before attempting the FSM route (as I have no idea what I am doing with that, although it does look promising). I found that, through hours of testing, that any more than half a dozen target will cause the Bradley to flee or veer off its course and go AWOL elsewhere on the map. I've somewhat circumvented that by forcing a transport unload while the vehicles are locked via disableAI command, but that only negates part of the problem as I still wish for the IFVs to advance and support their dismounts while they conduct their city sweeps after the drop off is made. Possibly changing the behaviours of the driver and gunner / commander will help, I'll give that a try ASAP. I've only recently gotten back into Arma scenario editing and I now vividly remember the headaches that scripting and such can cause lol.

8 hours ago, das attorney said:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/canUnloadInCombat

Should sort out your issue where they all spill out of the vehicle while it's in "combat"

I appreciate that link, it will stop my Urals dismounting their units before they reach their destination when the enemy open fire on them, but for the Bradleys, that's exactly what I want them to do. Instead, they turn and run like their armour is made of paper :face_palm:

All in all though, thanks for the feedback, I will take all of this on board when I resume my mission editing.

Cheers...... Mako :drinking2:

UPDATE: Pierre, I tried your disableAI "AUTOTARGET" command and I wish to report a 100% success rate. The Bradleys now charge down the streets and into a HUGE volume of enemy gunfire (I tripled the numbers of OPFOR twice, starting with three enemy squads) and they will simply not turn and run. They roll in with tracks clanking and the auto cannons blazing, drop off their dismounts (who then die almost instantly to the hail of bullets). It is quite the impressive sight to behold as a spectator.

The only thing I have to do now is work out how to force them to stick to roads EXCLUSIVELY (or with very limited wiggle room) and then that will solve my new issue of them running into walls / fences / other clutter (am using the Fallujah map so it is nothing but tight street work) or running over their freshly-disembarked dismounts (was I really expecting anything less?)

However, that is 75% of my troubles fixed. I'll comb the forums for a forceAI to use roads command / script, or if any of you fellows happen to know of one and can point me in the right directions, I'd be much obliged.

Regards...... Mako