pttn40

How to Add Custom Textures to List of Available Textures for Vehicles

I have been working on doing some retexturing of some Arma 3 vehicles for a MillSim unit I am a part of since we are thinking about using them in our operations. I’m getting close to being done with a few of the textures and will be starting on writing the configs for the texture pack soon. Being new at modding in Arma I have a question when it comes to writing the configs.

From all the tutorials I can find it seems like the “standard” way to do this is make a new vehicle that uses the same configs and model that the vehicle I am retexturing uses, but just with my new textures. I kind of don’t like this Idea as I would much rather just add the texture to the list of available camouflage options for the existing vehicle instead of having a full new vehicle.

Does anyone know how I can add my new textures to the list of available textures for that vehicle so it can be changed in 3den, or can point me to some resources that can help? Or is there a reason that I should make each one a new vehicle? Thanks for the help in advance.

Each variation of the vehicle would be it's own class. So lets say for instance you were making 3 Leopard tanks; one for Germany, one for Sweden and one for France. You would assign them the class name Leo_Germany, Leo_Sweden, Leo_France and then write configs for each of them inside the config.cpp.

See here for reference - https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_3_Replacement_Config_Tutorial#Preparing_the_addon

See how the config has SoldierWB, that's the classname he's given to his new addon. He has set it to inherit parameters from B_Soldier_base_F, the stuff underneath model, UniformClass etc are the things that will be different from B_Soldier_base_F.

If you wanted to inherit from the Slammer tank you would use B_MBT_01_cannon_F as the inheritance. Full list of class names here - https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_CfgVehicles_WEST

Need more help just post below or PM me. 

Fizzle, thanks for the links. They are really helpful. What I was thinking though was along the lines of how ACE3 renames vehicles and weapons to more realistic names (Macer to Maverick for instance). After looking at the ACE3 code it looks like they just create a new config with the same name and inherit from the old one to overwrite it. I’m going to try it out and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.