Montgomery

Bad ArmA Trends

The fact that there were ladies glasses in the base game... but no ladies to wear them

• Like 11

The only thing that bothers me these days is the extreme realism babbies who only seem to worry about looking cool in 3rd person playpretending to be Navy Seals or some other TIER ONE OMG OMG unit.

Then again this game is a sandbox so whatever floats your boat i guess. :drinking2:

• Like 9

It's hard to roleplay a conventional military unit without a large amount of people to play with. I think it's much easier for smaller groups to play as special operations units. Plus, if you are trying to be authentic, then playing as a special operations unit allows you to utilize toys and tactics not used by the conventional military. 

@Chairborne

What do you roleplay as?

Of course you do. Anyone playing any game is roleplaying or pretending or whatever you want to call it. Do you play as a conventional infantryman, tanker, pilot, etc.?

• Like 1

Roleplaying is, as the word suggest, playing a role. Many of us just use the avatar as our interaction with the game world as ourselves. No more personal attachment than to the jumping Mario Bros avatar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, montgomery said:

Of course you do. Anyone playing any game is roleplaying or pretending or whatever you want to call it. Do you play as a conventional infantryman, tanker, pilot, etc.?

Um no, i really dont pretend i am anyone but a guy playing a (good) videogame.

45 minutes ago, andersson said:

Roleplaying is, as the word suggest, playing a role. Many of us just use the avatar as our interaction with the game world as ourselves. No more personal attachment than to the jumping Mario Bros avatar.

There's a difference between "i'm playing super mario" and "i am super mario", same way in arma you can drive a tank or fly a plane without being a tanker or a pilot.

• Like 5

@Chairborne Why won't you answer the question? You know exactly what I'm asking you. You criticized people for playing as special operations characters, roles, avatars, or however you feel best wording it. So my question for you was, what kind of character, role, avatar, or however you feel best wording it do you usually play as? I wasn't interested in discussing the technicalities of what word best describes the act of playing a game.

6 minutes ago, montgomery said:

@Chairborne Why won't you answer the question? You know exactly what I'm asking you. You criticized people for playing as special operations characters, roles, avatars, or however you feel best wording it. So my question for you was, what kind of character, role, avatar, or however you feel best wording it do you usually play as? I wasn't interested in discussing the technicalities of what word best describes the act of playing a game.

You asked me what i roleplay as, which i don't. I'm starting to get the impression that we have different opinions on what roleplaying is.

To answer the second question, i don't have an assigned role where i play, provided the scenario allows it i can pilot a plane, crew a tank, etc.

The criticism i have maybe was a bit unfair though, it was more about all the kind of players who take themselves too seriously, specops dudes just happen to be the loudest part i guess.

I'd probably have a few more things to say but it's late so i'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

@Chairborne I'm with you on that. I don't take it too serious either. By the way, I watched that 2016 year in review video on the ARK website, it is really good. It looks like you guys had some good times.

• Like 1

I’ll add my 2 cents from a server/group admin/mission maker perspective….

Bad Trends:

1.       Treating the Virtual Arsenal as a fashion show to change their loadout to super sniper/cqb/AT guy with 20 mags, a grenade launcher rifle with a 6x magnifier heat/night vision scope/silencer combo.  

2.       Putting a vehicle spawner in a mission upon request by my group…only to log on and see 485 Helicopters all over the map, 39485 jeeps, tanks, etc. (Which is why I quit using vehicle spawners)

3.       Rambo/Lone wolf folks who take off on their own in every mission

4.       Leaving 2948547859 ammo clips, guns, etc. strewn all over the ground next to the arsenal/ammo boxes.

5.       Getting the inevitable “so and so uniform isn’t correct for that particular operation 47 years ago” comment on the latest campaign/mission I upload to steam or the “I don’t like ACE, please make another version without ACE” comment, etc.  Sigh.

• Like 10

1. Creating a larger coop mission and have players get their loadout by VA only. Write a goddam loadout script, it's not that hard.

2. Players asking stupid questions that could have been prevented with a single glaze at the options menu.

3. Especially since all the new comforts of Arma 3 (I'm not criticizing the game itself!) people generally tend to not be able to use basic skills like navigating with map and compass, use grid coordinates, set their friggin' radios and whatnot.

4. SWS.

• Like 2

@autigergrad  Yes!

@belbo  I agree with you on points 2 & 3, but I feel differently about 1 & 2. I think the virtual arsenal and steam workshop are two of the greatest additions to the arma series. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, belbo said:

3. Especially since all the new comforts of Arma 3 (I'm not criticizing the game itself!) people generally tend to not be able to use basic skills like navigating with map and compass, use grid coordinates, set their friggin' radios and whatnot.

Totally agree! Gamers who swear by 'serious milsim' standards but can't read a compass or map! True story, had a fellow member get lost for twenty minutes because couldn't/didn't read his compass correctly. Former US Army as well :)

• Like 1

On 6/4/2017 at 2:55 PM, peegee said:

The beards. Those ugly "tacticool" beards. The screenshot thread is flooded by them.

Beat me to it. The beardy tacticool speshul foarcez operator dudebros abusing POWs and then brofisting it up afterwards. Gah!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, montgomery said:

I think the virtual arsenal and steam workshop are two of the greatest additions to the arma series. 

Virtual Arsenal in itself is not a problem. Mission creators who try to make immersive missions and rely solely on VA are. VA is great to create loadouts - but they should be applied via script. It's even less work than using the whitelisting features.

And that actually leads to my main critique at SWS. Most people write shitty missions. That's unfortunately a fact. If you've got the ability to upload your mission to SWS with a single click of a button - without testing, without performance tweaks, without thinking about mp locality, without taking even the slightest amount of time to optimize your mission - then you're more likely to do that. And guess who's making their first post on this forum about the lousy game performance? But that's what overpopulates SWS: Shitty missions and stolen mods ("not my content, I just uploaded it for convenience purposes" haha... bastards.). And SWS offers only very lousy options to really dig through the uploads so you can separate the crap from the useful stuff. The implementation is just awefull. How often do we get players who have seversl versions of the same mod in their workshop folder - and can't get the right version to work with arma3sync or comparable launchers.

Additionally people just can't get a grip around how SWS is supposed to work for mods. You can create compilations and whatnot - but what do people do? Upload the same mods over and over again.

It's great for lone wolf players who just want to jump in and play (provided they find the mods they're looking for), but from a community player's and organisator's side it's just the worst.

10 minutes ago, belbo said:

Virtual Arsenal in itself is not a problem. Mission creators who try to make immersive missions and rely solely on VA are. VA is great to create loadouts - but they should be applied via script. It's even less work than using the whitelisting features.

And that actually leads to my main critique at SWS. Most people write shitty missions. That's unfortunately a fact. If you've got the ability to upload your mission to SWS with a single click of a button - without testing, without performance tweaks, without thinking about mp locality, without taking even the slightest amount of time to optimize your mission - then you're more likely to do that. And guess who's making their first post on this forum about the lousy game performance? But that's what overpopulates SWS: Shitty missions and stolen mods ("not my content, I just uploaded it for convenience purposes" haha... bastards.). And SWS offers only very lousy options to really dig through the uploads so you can separate the crap from the useful stuff. The implementation is just awefull. How often do we get players who have seversl versions of the same mod in their workshop folder - and can't get the right version to work with arma3sync or comparable launchers.

Additionally people just can't get a grip around how SWS is supposed to work for mods. You can create compilations and whatnot - but what do people do? Upload the same mods over and over again.

It's great for lone wolf players who just want to jump in and play (provided they find the mods they're looking for), but from a community player's and organisator's side it's just the worst.

standardized UI is good

Most players are familiar with Arsenal, I think its good however whitelisting stuff in it should be more straightforward.

Bad Arma trends you say?

1. Life

2. Wasteland

3. Anyone under the MA15+ rating, playing this game. inb4 *irony intensifies*.

• Like 6

My opinions about bad trends in the overall community are more criticisms of the social aspects of the game.  I made an informative chart of them just the other day for my group's forum thread, coincidentally:

OPVAjEf.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, belbo said:

As someone who both runs a MP group and who has posted several missions/campaigns I disagree.

It has been INFINITELY easier getting folks able to connect to our server, not have bizarre issues, etc. with the Workshop.  Folks who have played ARMA for a while know how to manually add/delete mods but we forget that if you are someone who just bought the game, it can be pretty intimidating.  Also...as someone who uses between 12-20 mods total in most of my campaigns, it is much easier convincing folks to click "subscribe" rather than go hunt down the mod on a dropbox link/armaholic...then manually install it, etc.

Our group has had VERY little issue with Steam Workshop.

As for missions....I typically release our already played through campaigns on the workshop as that is the perfect way to test in a MP environment, make sure things are working as they should, etc.  There are a lot of haphazard missions out there...but there are also some very very good ones as well.

Just my .02.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, autigergrad said:

As someone who both runs a MP group and who has posted several missions/campaigns I disagree.

It has been INFINITELY easier getting folks able to connect to our server, not have bizarre issues, etc. with the Workshop.  Folks who have played ARMA for a while know how to manually add/delete mods but we forget that if you are someone who just bought the game, it can be pretty intimidating.  Also...as someone who uses between 12-20 mods total in most of my campaigns, it is much easier convincing folks to click "subscribe" rather than go hunt down the mod on a dropbox link/armaholic...then manually install it, etc.

Our group has had VERY little issue with Steam Workshop.

As for missions....I typically release our already played through campaigns on the workshop as that is the perfect way to test in a MP environment, make sure things are working as they should, etc.  There are a lot of haphazard missions out there...but there are also some very very good ones as well.

Just my .02.

I entirely agree that SWS has facilitated the distribution and update of mods.

Before SWS arrived (A2, A1 & OFP), I regularly got flak from my group about patching the game and/or adding/removing/updating mods.

Now the only time anyone complains is when a big update (multi GB) for a mod or patch drops just before a session.

@belbo I quite understand that lower entry requirements = more crap but it also = more content + fresh blood.

While I recognise that many of these greenhorns come seeking DayZ and or ThugLife, they bring valuable revenue to BI and some of them stay for the milsim aspects.

The only real bad ArmA trend for me personally was that vanilla support (and specialized units) for warfare CTI was dropped with ArmA III.

It was also a bad choice to drop the ambient civilian life modules that gave ArmA II that instant RPG like ambience.

I also really miss the dynamic combat mission creation in single player like the generated 04:Combat mission in ArmA II.

• Like 8

On 6/9/2017 at 1:38 AM, Beagle said:

The only real bad ArmA trend for me personally was that vanilla support (and specialized units) for warfare CTI was dropped with ArmA III.

It was also a bad choice to drop the ambient civilian life modules that gave ArmA II that instant RPG like ambience.

I also really miss the dynamic combat mission creation in single player like the generated 04:Combat mission in ArmA II.

once they dropped support for AI in arma, it felt natural to also drop support for CTI. getting AI to move between two locations just isnt practical anymore

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, Beagle said:

Do you mean the 04:Civil War dynamic Warfare mission on Chernarus that is available under MP missions?

On 6/8/2017 at 10:38 AM, Beagle said:

Thats not a trend. Thats just something you dont like about the game itself. A trend would be something that players or the community does.

• Like 2