Montgomery

Bad ArmA Trends

On 10.6.2017 at 3:52 PM, OMAC said:

Do you mean the 04:Civil War dynamic Warfare mission on Chernarus that is available under MP missions?

It's also a SP mission. It deploys you via Helicopter Insertion onto a foot patrol. MIssiosn objectives will pop up over time, easy support module and HQ module is granted, as well as ALICE and ACM.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 6:22 PM, zeealex said:

The fact that there were ladies glasses in the base game... but no ladies to wear them

In the first campaign level of ArmA 1, one of the soldiers remarks that Sahrani is a weird place. Weird indeed, everybody on the island is a dude.

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of "quick single player missions" on the workshop that involve a 3km hike to each objective... Sort of defies the "quickness" of the mission in my opinion. Nothing wrong with big missions, but it's slightly confusing when I download a mission someone claims takes approximately 30min to complete only to get inserted 3km from the first objective and then see there are 2-3 more beyond that and I'm going to end up hiking 10km total to kill a few guys. 30min to complete if you're on the 4x time speeder upper thingy the whole mission perhaps.

Also strongly dislike missions where the enemy AI is turned up to 11, but that's because I suck and I'll die constantly, and quite a few missions seem to be this way. I guess if you're fighting some type of elite unit so be it, but a bunch of farmers shooting at me through a heavily wooded area at 600+ meters with no optics on a 50 year old AK seems a bit... well... That's why I have been enjoying DRO so much since 1.70 (my game was unplayable during 1.68; like completely broken beyond all repair) because there's an option when setting up the mission on how hardcore I want the enemies to be.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Beagle said:

It's also a SP mission. It deploys you via Helicopter Insertion onto a foot patrol. MIssiosn objectives will pop up over time, easy support module and HQ module is granted, as well as ALICE and ACM.

Is that an official BI mission for Arma II, or a user mission?  I'm having trouble finding it.  

35 minutes ago, OMAC said:

Is that an official BI mission for Arma II, or a user mission?  I'm having trouble finding it.  

Official, go to SP / scenarios start "My Mission" . 04:Combat and there is another one B04:Combat for BAF.

Worst trend for me is the obvious official direction of the franchise going towards MP and leaving us SP'ers in the dust as a distant memory. OFP was a singleplayer game (masterpiece) that grew a notable MP community but not enough to forsake us. End Game, Combat Patrol, Argo and the Apex Campaign has been their sole mission focus and thats pretty one-sided -didnt they mention a revamped Apex for us??

Agree on missing females, the Alice module, Warfare and just the general feeling of advancing singleplayer immersion. Obviously the 3d editor/Arsenal loadouts was a tremendous gift so its not all bad, just disappointing. As far as Warfare I distinctly remember a very large and loud b*tchfest that escalated when it was included in the official mission for Arma2 that I cant say im surprised it was dropped. Alot of innovative cool sh*t was routinely ragged on at that time in this forums and the feeling that the developers were getting exasperated -palpable -so some of the blame here is on us.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Beagle said:

Official, go to SP / scenarios start "My Mission" . 04:Combat and there is another one B04:Combat for BAF.

Cool.  I'll try that.  Thanks!

Edit:  Jeez, that mission looks awesome.  Never tried it before.  More A2CO fun ahead!

1 hour ago, froggyluv said:

Worst trend for me is the obvious official direction of the franchise going towards MP and leaving us SP'ers in the dust as a distant memory. OFP was a singleplayer game (masterpiece) that grew a notable MP community but not enough to forsake us. End Game, Combat Patrol, Argo and the Apex Campaign has been their sole mission focus and thats pretty one-sided -didnt they mention a revamped Apex for us??

Tac-Ops looks like it will be right up your alley then as my interpretation of it's official description is that it's primarily SP focused.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, froggyluv said:

-didnt they mention a revamped Apex for us??

Going off-topic here, but what exactly happened to it?

There's been no information about that SP version of Apex ever since they published the roadmap last year.....

Perhaps the SP-friendly Apex Protocol will come out with Tac-Ops?  Hopefully they haven't quietly dropped the idea...

I also remember well all the bitter complaints here about Warfare in A2, especially its use in Harvest Red campaign.  It could result in some bugs and frustrations in the campaign, but generally it did work quite well (see Bear Rising).  As others have expressed above, I also miss Warfare (or something like it but more advanced) and procedurally-generated SP official missions (like ACR Thorn Tree, etc.) in A3.  Instead we have a massive and growing suite of MP-only elements that I have never tried except for the tutorials.  Essentially Zeus, End Game, Argo, and Combat Patrol have replaced Warfare.  Another bad trend is BI's reliance on the community to generate most SP scenarios:  MANW did produce Pilgrimage and other dynamic missions.  Tac-Ops is BI's attempt to remedy that, I think/hope.  I hope Jezuro, Zipper5, and others are hard at work on Tac-Ops (and Tanks showcase) right now! 

An idea for Tanks showcase that will make SP people happy:  make sure it lasts at least an hour or more to make up for the existing Tanks showcase that is far too short and simple. 

For the record, I also regret the omission of the ALICE module (!), females, and furniture in addition to Warfare.  These are major steps on the downward trend into the dank MP cellar.

• Like 2

Bad trend: Gear hording. I understand using multiple mods to expand your arsenal and add some flare to your character. However having 4 mods adding the same weapons and uniforms just infuriates me. I have had people ask me to add mods to a modpack just so there is more gear, not more variety but more gear. I have one question, WHAAA?

@road runner Also the fight about beards was really funny :D

• Like 1

Not really sure what the point of this thread is...It seems far to broad and vague to be any actual use to sorting issues. But if it is just a thread for people to let off a little steam and voice their frustration, i suppose that serves a purpose. 

Just keep it civil folks, and tr to not go too far offtopic :)

• Like 1

A bad trend in this thread is people talking about trends from BI and the vanilla, the author asked about bad trends among the player base :)

• Like 3

On 04/06/2017 at 7:59 PM, montgomery said:

The first one is wearing NVGs without a helmet.

The second one is the masks that don't cover your nose.

Are there other "bad arma trends" that aren't realistic that bother you?

1. Yes, during my service you had eye region face frames you mounted the NVGs to. The reason being simple. A) We had none tight fitting Vietnam era type helmets and B) some of our NVG, specially one called night binoculars (they were not "binoculars"), were 3 times longer than the classic "Arma 2" type. It felt like having a PC PSU on your face. :D

2. Do you even Winter warfare, bro? :D I think I had nose cover on my white balaclava, but personally I preferred the headover.

3. I dont really care about stuff like that. What annoys me a bit is stuff like being able to "deploy" bidod while prone without a bipod. Like shooting on the move like that is like shooting at a fireing range where you can stabilize your arm with ease etc. Which is not reality and none "deployed" ingame is still pretty leveled from the get go. Or "reloading" AT4s or M72 etc and such. Or able to "side strafe" gamey like in contacts which no one can in real life etc. Those are the kind of things I would want see changed or have better solutions for. For the latter, lets not forget that in Arma 2 you couldnt really sidestrafe and shoot because there wasnt a "tactical pase" walking mode. Which made contacts more life like and "shoot, then move" was the mantra rather than "move sideways while shooting". I dont want tactical pase removed, but I wouldnt mind seeing more left right weapon sway while doing so to incentive people to stop when shooting and thereby get more life like contacts and such...

1 hour ago, JojoTheSlayer said:

...Or able to "side strafe" gamey like in contacts which no one can in real life etc. Those are the kind of things I would want see changed or have better solutions for. For the latter, lets not forget that in Arma 2 you couldnt really sidestrafe and shoot because there wasnt a "tactical pase" walking mode. Which made contacts more life like and "shoot, then move" was the mantra rather than "move sideways while shooting". I dont want tactical pase removed, but I wouldnt mind seeing more left right weapon sway while doing so to incentive people to stop when shooting and thereby get more life like contacts and such...

Would be a dream come true to see more sway there. But the gameplay itself doesn't really seem to favor combat pace in action, but walking instead.
So I guess that makes tactical pace sidestrafing truly a bad Arma trend :D There is already a solution, but many players don't use it.

• Like 1

On 12.6.2017 at 3:57 AM, froggyluv said:

Agree on missing females, the Alice module, Warfare and just the general feeling of advancing singleplayer immersion. Obviously the 3d editor/Arsenal loadouts was a tremendous gift so its not all bad, just disappointing. As far as Warfare I distinctly remember a very large and loud b*tchfest that escalated when it was included in the official mission for Arma2 that I cant say im surprised it was dropped. Alot of innovative cool sh*t was routinely ragged on at that time in this forums and the feeling that the developers were getting exasperated -palpable -so some of the blame here is on us.

Good points there.

Female civilians, alice module and the vanilla civilian interaction were all you needed to make a baseline authentic mission.

First time in A3 opening the editor and seeing this features missing was a jawdropper.

Missing motorcycles/bicycles is odd as well. Thought they will be added with tanoa for easier traversal of those jungle paths.

We got a water scooter instead who handles even worse than the A2 bicycle did (going full speed downhill anyone?).

The game is out for almost 4 years now, and not one single vanilla shotgun, AA or AT launcher turreted vehicles (at this point a copy pasted AA/AT turret across all 3 factions wouldn't make a dent anymore).

Still hoping for the AA-40 (AA-12 successor) and another shotgun to go along with the tac ops dlc. The AA-12 with HE rounds was probably the most devastating thing you could bring into CQC besides a 12 gun 155mm barrage.

Tanks DLC might bring AA/AT turrets to vehicles, a man can only dream.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 2:05 AM, andersson said:

A bad trend in this thread is people talking about trends from BI and the vanilla, the author asked about bad trends among the player base :)

It seems that some people still don't get it, lol.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, montgomery said:

It seems that some people still don't get it, lol.

You didn't specify that you want to limit this discussion to playerbase related trends only,

your example of masks not covering the noses in the first post also didn't point towards playerbase related stuff.

This thread went from discussing beard mods right on to milsim groups onward to nametags, NVG headmounts right into a small discourse over roleplay and how mission makers are overusing virtual arsenal.

On 10.6.2017 at 6:25 PM, montgomery said:

Thats not a trend. Thats just something you dont like about the game itself. A trend would be something that players or the community does.

That's not the definition of trend.

Cheers

Sometimes its all too easy to get lost in the details of a discussion. I'll give an analogy if I may... 

Most that know me are aware that I like Metal (though the Dio avatar might give it away too). Old metal heads are the easiest to make friends with because we have an unspoken motto of "If you like it loud, you're all right with us". However, younger metal heads are a different breed. They splinter themselves into different factions because they consider their sub-genre to be better than another. Thrash vs Speed vs Metalcore, etc. This splinters metal heads as a whole.

Now, we can easily see Arma in the above analogy. SP, MP, Co-Op, PvE, etc. Everyone has their own preference, but its all Arma just the same. So, with regards to trends... We all complain about Arma... and have since the release of OFP. Though, my personal belief is that its best if we can do so constructively. Whether we like it or not, most of us in this particular thread are Village Elders, the wise old men of Arma... and with that comes a bit of responsibility in that newer players look up to us in a way. They see how we interact with others, the quality of our posts and how we deal with criticism and then they emulate it. I have kids and I know for a fact that if I accidentally smash my little toe and let a string of expletives slip, I can be sure they're going to mimic me. The same goes for Arma. 

I personally really enjoyed this thread. It reminded me about what I enjoyed most about Arma. It is the shared experiences, the frustrations about similar things.. in essence, the camaraderie. Don't let the minutiae get in the way of a good time. 

• Like 5

"Go back to CoD/ Battlefield"

As an example :

If it would be up to me, I would remove fatigue instantly. 50-50 when it comes to weapon swing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bnae said:

"Go back to CoD/ Battlefield"

Or, considering the beardy speshul ops dudes, MOH. ;)

People taking this game too seriously (this applies pretty much to every true milsim group). It's a game and I don't want to be yelled at by a virtual drill sergeant who in reality is a 15-year-old or to be told that I have to play it in 6-hour shifts, whenever someone tells me to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpacePilotMax said:

People taking this game too seriously (this applies pretty much to every true milsim group)

Taking it to serious according to what?

Because you dont want to take it serious and others do, they are not you, and thats why they are in their group.

Sure its a game, but thats the key in a game like arma you can do anything you want, and the point is to have fun, some people just do it different.

If you cant or wont do it in real life then a game is another avenue to do it.

It's a game and I don't want to be yelled at by a virtual drill sergeant     

Have you ever been in a milsim or are you patronizing the idea of what it would be like if you were in a milsim, or going off of stories you heard?

Milsims, groups, clans, units are people with like minded views, interests and play styles, if you dont like that, or care for that, then obliviously its not for you.

Units i been in and lead were never about military conduct, it was about communications and tactics, in and out of the game.

Dont worry about the trends, or how others conduct their games just be an example of how you think others should play the game, and there wont be any objections from anyone. :)

Its interesting how players are quick to join a group and proceed to hate everything about it. Reading the forums, watching some videos and other ways of researching a group should all be done before submitting an application. If there's something you don't like about a group, don't join. There's no reason for an entire group to change for one player :)  This point is seen in an earlier post where I mentioned I personally dislike groups that use rank when addressing each other or in writing. Groups can do that of course, but I wouldn't join.

I do remember playing with someone who had the role of a drill sergeant in his marine milsim group, and they went the whole nine yards with yelling at recruits, insulting etc. The crazy thing, that immersion was the reason many joined that group!

Different strokes for different folks!

• Like 2

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎12 at 2:57 AM, froggyluv said:

Definitely agreed. I started out with OFP, skipped ArmA, played ArmA2 and now have only recently started ArmA3. The list of changes (for the better) is huge, but you can definitely tell the community has shifted towards MP, which as an SP player, is quite disappointing. I also just found out Armaholic has undergone some changes and modders are increasingly using Steam Workshop exclusively to share content. Not my year...