phronk

Simple Object Checkbox Gone?

Well from my expierience of building huge cave systems, FOBs and just large missions being played with 30-40 players. Simple objects was the main reason it was possible, it's not now. Because I cant make everthing a simple object the fps is just way to low to enjoy the game. So this whole talk of it only affects objects that need it and it doesn't actually have a performance benefit is total bs. Went from +50 average to -30fps during ops now.

Is there any sign of this coming back? it was the single most important checkbox in the whole game.

Does disabling simulation help? I know at least in my case, I do this on a ton of objects as long as they don't need to move or anything.

You could also make a short script that you call for each FOB object that does the following:

• Get object type,
  • get dir, vectordir, vectorup, positionAtl and put in local variables
  • Create SimpleObject of same type
  • delete original object
  • setposatl, setdir, setVectorDirAndUp of simple object from local variables

You could call that from init.sqf of all FOB placed objects, or call it in a loop using NearestObjects to find all the FOB objects.   This loop could exclude any vehicles any other objects you don't want to replace with simple objects.

It will cause an initial loading mission lag, but you should be good after that.

On 22/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, swurvin said:

Is there any sign of this coming back? it was the single most important checkbox in the whole game.

Totally agree on what swurvin has said so far.
I used to create missions with probably a thousand manually placed down items, creating a cave system like the one shown in this video:

As you can see for pretty much the whole video a group of 40 people moves through a system of caves made from vanilla rocks that I spent few days manually placing and turning them into SimpleObjects.
Because of this, everybody had pretty decent frames throughout all the operation.

Whereas yesterday I wanted to do something slightly bigger than our normal ops where we just have a few trenches down and decide to build a tunnel system with I guess less than 100 pieces.
Without the ability of turning them into SimpleObjects it was simply unplayable, ever since this feature was removed I can't create custom scenarios anymore.

I also remember another mission where I just bunched together less than 50 rocks but having 15 people walking onto them without them being simple objects caused the fps to drop drastically, again.

On 22/12/2017 at 10:21 PM, phronk said:

Didn't know about this function, I will give it a try but as I just read on the page:

Use with caution as this technique is not very clean - should not be used for many objects and definitely not in MP games.

But if it does a 1/10 of what the old SimpleObject checkbox used to do I'll definitely give it a try.

I haven't used BIS_fnc_replaceWithSimpleObject on many objects in a multiplayer scenario, but I've had no noticeable issues with mission-placed objects using that command, even in dedicated server environments.

7 hours ago, want3d said:

But if it does a 1/10 of what the old SimpleObject checkbox used to do I'll definitely give it a try.

The enable/disable simulation is good enough for that.

3 hours ago, pierremgi said:

The enable/disable simulation is good enough for that.

Disabled simulation in both my scenarios since it wasn't needed in the first place but couldn't get not even as close as I used to with SimpleObjects.

I also remember testing a GoKart track made out of simple objects, disabled simulation objects and normal objects. Needless to say that the first one was the best, the second and the third were both far from ideal, especially when picking up some speed and driving over objects. I can't say for sure it's not some placebo effect but I don't see the reason behind removing a checkbox in the editor that wasn't causing any kind of problem in the first place...

@want3d You're right. Just answered for a 1/10e of simple object behavior. The simple object is something harder than it appears. BI had to add some simple objects parameters inside classes. If you browse the config viewer, you can see the simple object subclass. (double click on the class).

You will see what simple object disable for this object, and an entry eden, set to 0 (simple object case not visible in 3den) or set to 1 (simple object is selectable in 3den).

Example:

Hunter GMG:

configfile >> "CfgVehicles" >> "B_MRAP_01_gmg_F" >> "SimpleObject" >> "eden"

eden = 1;

you can see what you loose, checking for this option in 3den (animations + hiding selection like lights).

Airport tower:

configfile >> "CfgVehicles" >> "Land_Airport_Tower_F" >> "SimpleObject" >> "eden"

eden = 0;

If you force the simple object (see above), you'll loose these animations:

animate[] = {["door_1_rot",0],["door_1_locked_rot",0],["door_2_rot",0],["door_2_locked_rot",0],["glass_1_hide",0],["glass_1_unhide",0],["glass_2_hide",0],["glass_2_unhide",0],["glass_3_hide",0],["glass_3_unhide",0],["glass_4_hide",0],["glass_4_unhide",0],["glass_5_hide",0],["glass_5_unhide",0],["glass_6_hide",0],["glass_6_unhide",0],["glass_7_hide",0],["glass_7_unhide",0],["glass_8_hide",0],["glass_8_unhide",0],["glass_9_hide",0],["glass_9_unhide",0],["glass_10_hide",0],["glass_10_unhide",0],["glass_11_hide",0],["glass_11_unhide",0],["glass_12_hide",0],["glass_12_unhide",0],["glass_13_hide",0],["glass_13_unhide",0],["glass_14_hide",0],["glass_14_unhide",0],["glass_15_hide",0],["glass_15_unhide",0],["glass_16_hide",0],["glass_16_unhide",0],["glass_17_hide",0],["glass_17_unhide",0],["glass_18_hide",0],["glass_18_unhide",0],["glass_19_hide",0],["glass_19_unhide",0],["glass_20_hide",0],["glass_20_unhide",0],["glass_21_hide",0],["glass_21_unhide",0],["glass_22_hide",0],["glass_22_unhide",0],["glass_23_hide",0],["glass_23_unhide",0],["glass_24_hide",0],["glass_24_unhide",0],["glass_25_hide",0],["glass_25_unhide",0],["glass_26_hide",0],["glass_26_unhide",0],["glass_27_hide",0],["glass_27_unhide",0],["glass_28_hide",0],["glass_28_unhide",0],["glass_29_hide",0],["glass_29_unhide",0],["glass_30_hide",0],["glass_30_unhide",0],["glass_31_hide",0],["glass_31_unhide",0],["glass_32_hide",0],["glass_32_unhide",0],["glass_33_hide",0],["glass_33_unhide",0],["glass_34_hide",0],["glass_34_unhide",0]};

That means you can't open doors anymore, or break glasses.

You will not have more possibility to climb on ladders.

I can't say to you why BI chose to accept simple object on Hunter and not on tower. Not sure it's so clear for all BI devs as well.

Alright, so the main problem I see here is with modded assets. The config variable pierremgi posted above isn't present in any mod that hasn't been updated in the past year, which is A LOT of mods! Even ones that have been updated still don't have it. And the problem here is that BI decided to make it so it defaults to "0" when not present. As a result I can't make any asset from CUP Terrains a simple object.

Now, on the topic of vanilla BI assets, I see the reason to take it away from things like the H-Barrier; It's a static object that likely takes up few CPU cycles either way. However, reading what's been posted since my last post, I have to say it's debatable whether there's a performance impact or not. I'm pretty sure that bar chart that's been posted from the wiki demonstrates the performance impact of a single undisclosed building chosen at random by whoever did the test. It showed there was, perceptibly, no performance difference between disabling simulation and making it a simple object. However has anyone done a proper test of 100+ assets? Because we've got two people in this thread, who've tested it in actual gameplay, claiming it makes a huge difference.

@swurvin and @want3d, have either of you two tested out the "[this] call BIS_fnc_replaceWithSimpleObject;" init script yet? I'm curious to see if it's helped or been a detriment like some claim it is. To my understanding it's just a detriment if you use it mid-mission as it supposedly generates a ton of network traffic. No clue if it functions differently when entered in 3den. That said I should probably check it out in the functions viewer and see if I can make sense of any of the scripting.