Sign in to follow this  
_SCAR

Roads levelling with Terrain Processor

All,

I am building a terrain and am already pretty far in the process (we are finalizing the objects on the map). When I first started, I imported the PNG file of the height map, and I have levelled the roads by hand.

It has been a painful process and I often still see some roads that need adjustments.

Unfortunately until recently I had no idea that there was a Heightmap Road Integration for Terrain Processor, my bad. However, I would still like to give it a try and see if it can solve some issues that I'm seeing.

Can I do that?

I only have the original height map in PNG format (not .ASC, which is what is required by the plugin) that I imported when I first created the terrain. Since I modified the terrain quite a lot, I see that there are new layers for the heigh map in Terrain Builder.

I don't think that the original PNG file that I imported contains the information of all the changes that I've done since then.

I found that I can export the terrain information as an .ASC file, but how would I go to reimport it in Terrain Builder?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

_SCAR,

• Like 1

Doing it now might not make sense ..

cuz isnt perfect but it still introduces errors such as some strange mounts or valleys ...

and maybe can have more problems then now :-)

to be able to do its not a problem :

exports the current terrain as asc from TB ...

import Shapes streets and asc in TP

then once finishes The TP process imports the obtained asc file in TB  ...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, W4lly63 said:

Doing it now might not make sense ..

cuz isnt perfect but it still introduces errors such as some strange mounts or valleys ...

and maybe can have more problems then now :-)

to be able to do its not a problem :

exports the current terrain as asc from TB ...

import Shapes streets and asc in TP

then once finishes The TP process imports the obtained asc file in TB  ...

TP doesn't import the file, you have to do file>import>terrain in TB yourself, then click "rebuild terrain" where you would export your layers from

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoF said:

TP doesn't import the file, you have to do file>import>terrain in TB yourself, then click "rebuild terrain" where you would export your layers from

yea i know not corrected sintax ... :f:

then once finishes The TP process...................(you have to ) import the obtained asc file in TB  ...

Thank you, I will give it a go. :)

To use TP you actually have to export the heightmap out of TB because TB adds the coordinates(200000,0) it needs, otherwise the shape roads file doesnt know where to make the adjustments.

• Like 1

I tried it and it went NUTS. The original terrain has 130m maximum in altitude, this one was completely WACKY with thousands of meters, everything was messed up.

If anyone has ideas....

1 hour ago, _SCAR said:

I tried it and it went NUTS. The original terrain has 130m maximum in altitude, this one was completely WACKY with thousands of meters, everything was messed up.

If anyone has ideas....

When you export you roads, tick "crop to mapframe". Also road maximal slope in TP controls, how steep a road will be, this can stop it destroying hills. But be careful as A.I. don't seem to like steep roads.

• Like 3

In fact .. as Rod said about AI ... I have preferred lowering the height of the hills and not increasing the slope of the roads .. just some high slope path....

On 6/2/2017 at 11:14 PM, RoF said:

When you export you roads, tick "crop to mapframe". Also road maximal slope in TP controls, how steep a road will be, this can stop it destroying hills. But be careful as A.I. don't seem to like steep roads.

Will try this...

9 hours ago, karbiner said:

Would like some screenshots of the results

The broken results, or the working one (if I get to make it so)?

AEB1dpOnyY.png

Here. Like what you see? :)

On 6/2/2017 at 11:14 PM, RoF said:

When you export you roads, tick "crop to mapframe". 

This did it. Thank you!

A screen of the roads with the crop to mapframe naturally :P

18 minutes ago, karbiner said:

A screen of the roads with the crop to mapframe naturally :P

be quicker for you just to test it yourself lol

Well, i wasted a lot of item manually doing the roads if I can do it with terrain processor..