All, I’m pleased to announce that we’re currently working on a new island for Arma 3, Kastellorizo.

Kastellorizo (Καστελλοριζο) is a beautiful island in Greece of 11.98 km2. It is the easternmost Greek island and is situated in the Eastern Mediterranean. If you have seen the movie Mediterraneo of G. Salvatores you might already be in love with it.

Here is the in-game satellite view:

W73aAb6zlo.jpg

[Link to Google Maps]

We have chosen it for its relatively small size, for its beauty, and because there are interesting panoramas, especially from the top view points (250 meters ~270 yards above the sea level). Its main and only city has beautiful and typical colored houses, and 2 sea ports.

The terrain also has 1 airport, 2 military bases, 2 main archeological sites, 3 mountain steps (we think that we have built something very unique in Arma, check the video below!), 1 power plant, 1 gas station, 1 bridge radio, 1 cemetery, 1 mosque with a minaret, 1 private villa on a small island, many farms, churches, and a variety of ruins all around the place.

We’ve tried to keep the island spirit intact, by immersing ourselves in all the videos, photos and tourist maps we have been able to find online and reproducing as much as we could. Don’t expect a 100% faithful representation though, as we have taken some liberties partly due to limitations from the Arma engine, but also to improve terrain playability.

We think that this terrain will be mainly interesting for infiltration, VIP exfils, sabotage, and CQB scenarios. That being said, we are looking forward to see what scenarios makers will do with it :)

Kastellorizo will be a standalone terrain (no external dependencies such as CUP or DLC content). Some helper functions will be there, for instance to turn on/off lights in the military bases, or open the gates that are already included in the map.

This is a joint effort done in collaboration with members of the 2RGT clan:

BTW check us here if you are looking for an Italian clan: http://www.secondoreggimento.it/

Enough with the talk :) Here are some videos for you.

A quick tour of the main port by boat:

Walking the panoramic stairs up to St. George Of The Mountain:

St. George Of The Mountain:

Paleokastro by dawn(archeological site):

Cruising around:

A landing at the airport:

Comments and feedback always welcome!

_SCAR

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Looks pretty nice so far. It seems that you guys forgot High Hrothgar at the top of the steps though..

• Like 2

18 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

Looks pretty nice so far. It seems that you guys forgot High Hrothgar at the top of the steps though..

ehehe ^^_

Hi _SCAR.

This map is something that I have desired for years. Please kkep it up, it looks very nice!!

good luck with the project!

8 hours ago, sfod-d_snakebite said:

Hi _SCAR.

This map is something that I have desired for years. Please kkep it up, it looks very nice!!

good luck with the project!

Did you? How come, did you visit the island? :)

9 hours ago, sfod-d_snakebite said:

Well no, i just want to say that I really love this kind of map, but never visited sorry!

Ok :)

How did you create the sattelite image? It does not look like the google maps image.

18 hours ago, Gauroroth said:

How did you create the sattelite image? It does not look like the google maps image.

It is indeed not. It's a mashup of various satellite textures, a custom terrain texture build with L3DT, and photoshop editing.

The whole work was done to maintain congruence of textures, regardless of distance.

• Like 2

Hello to everyone!

I accidentally stumbled on this topic, and it is great to see that games like this made, which include the tiny but beautiful Kastellorizo island.

As a local (yes, I am from Kastellorizo!) who has walked almost every mountain path (St George of the Mountain is only one of the fantastic places to be, it also has a hidden catacomb) I would love to contribute in any way you want me to.

In the meantime, I need to underline that the places on the videos (sadly) do not look at all like our island. I remember some time ago, Aerosoft did a nice flight terrain for Kastellorizo, which was not perfect, but the houses were given the correct architecture type, while the landscape was accurate enough.

I maintain a nice facebook page with lots of photos (99% are from my camera), for all to have a good idea of what the island looks like.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/kastellorizon/photos

Here is also a video of me climbing the 400+ steps of the main mountain path in eight minutes (and in fact, the ground has elevation, making it equivalent to double the number of steps):

Again, many thanks for honoring Kastellorizo to be part of a game! If you ever happen to pass by Kastellorizo, please let me know. :-)

P.

• Like 3

@kastellorizo Knew it was close to Turkey, did not know it was that close! Nicely done on the hike! although you did get a liiittle bit tired  :rthumb:

@_SCAR Is there any mission surrounding Kastellorizo island please?

• Like 1

Hello @kastellorizo, sorry to hear that you deem that the areas we reproduced do not look at all as your island. We've spent several hours (days?) immersing ourselves in all the videos, photos and tourist maps that we have been able to find online, and reproducing as much as we could. We’ve tried to keep the island spirit intact, however you have to understand that all terrain builders have to deal with the models in Arma 2 & 3 that are available to us, or build our own. At a given time, we also tried painting homes which became a very difficult task due to legal restrictions that we did not want to break (see video).

Anyway, we don't plan to do any changes to this map. If you end up building your own Kastellorizo I would recommend doing the larger zone and include pieces of Turkey.

@JohnKalo we have many internal ones, I saw a couple of ones published on the Steam workshop.

All the best,

_SCAR.