lysan

The helicopters and Jets are fine but....

Arma are first and foremost an infantry MIL SIM, however sometimes I wish we could merge Arma with DCS. When I write that, I don't mean the 100% complex flight sim, but maybe larger areas, more realistic flight models, a bit more flight management as we still have a pretty simple model in Arma even with the new helicopters DLC.

I also know resources to make it need to come from somewhere, however I would buy and pay a good sum of money to get a DLC that could offer more fleshed out helicopter / airplane models to the Arma world.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mW3vAge9OzM

With the new Jets, we are running out of maps, the official maps are very small when you travel with Mrk1 and the cloud base is not really representative as there are some abnormalities compared to "flight"sims. 

This is NOT a complaint, just an observation, and a bit of daydreaming about a fusion of the two worlds ;)

First off, pretty certain DCS isn't a BI title, so merging Arma with it will be... not good. Second, it's not the helicopters DLC. That was released two years ago. Third, DCS and the like can have large terrains, but only at the cost of terrain detail. It's nowhere near fun playing infantry or anything below 150m with such a level of detail.

25 minutes ago, SpacePilotMax said:

First off, pretty certain DCS isn't a BI title, so merging Arma with it will be... not good. Second, it's not the helicopters DLC. That was released two years ago. Third, DCS and the like can have large terrains, but only at the cost of terrain detail. It's nowhere near fun playing infantry or anything below 150m with such a level of detail.

DCS is definitely not a bi title. Hell, they don't even want to port over VBS stuff. Which is still in house.

Terrain detail over a realistic 1:1 terrain with the amount of buildings that exist in actuality? Not a chance. 

Just now, Midnighters said:

DCS is definitely not a bi title. Hell, they don't even want to port over VBS stuff. Which is still in house.

Even VBS is not a BI title. It's made by a different company on a different engine by different people.

Although, the engines are still compatible enough to allow porting same assets. Like when BISIM bought the Dayz Chernarus terrain from them.

32 minutes ago, SpacePilotMax said:

Well, DCS is not a BI product, my point, and I can see that it's not 100% clear is that the helicopter models still need a bit of polishing.

They are still lacking the basic controls for, helicopters. Yes the DLC was not this year, and you can say the same regarding the DLC Jets.

It's very basic, however in the right direction. As I said, it's not a complain, just a wish to get a tiny bit more added to the models.

8 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

Terrain detail over a realistic 1:1 terrain with the amount of buildings that exist in actuality? Not a chance. 

I tried the AU map mod, it's pretty good and large enough to actually support jets, so I believe without knowing the mechanics behind it, that it can be done on larger maps in arma Apex. 

1 hour ago, Greenfist said:

Even VBS is not a BI title. It's made by a different company on a different engine by different people.

Although, the engines are still compatible enough to allow porting same assets. Like when BISIM bought the Dayz Chernarus terrain from them.

Right, exactly. I wasn't trying to imply they were. I was saying even thought the assets are all inhouse - they're not used across the board. 

1 hour ago, lysan said:

Well, DCS is not a BI product, my point, and I can see that it's not 100% clear is that the helicopter models still need a bit of polishing.

They are still lacking the basic controls for, helicopters. Yes the DLC was not this year, and you can say the same regarding the DLC Jets.

It's very basic, however in the right direction. As I said, it's not a complain, just a wish to get a tiny bit more added to the models.

Here is what I think about arma 3. Here are your tools, and here is the law of the land. Go and use your tools now

1 hour ago, lysan said:

I tried the AU map mod, it's pretty good and large enough to actually support jets, so I believe without knowing the mechanics behind it, that it can be done on larger maps in arma Apex. 

Absolutely not. The quality of the objects on the ground is something to look at other than scale.

HELL, I could have 200,00km3 worth of freaking grass

I'm going to say the best shot we've got at gigantic maps in Arma is simulating an area about the size of the current maps that the player is in, and having non-displayed AI combat a la ALiVE on the rest of the world map. We won't see this in A3 though.

43 minutes ago, SpacePilotMax said:

I'm going to say the best shot we've got at gigantic maps in Arma is simulating an area about the size of the current maps that the player is in, and having non-displayed AI combat a la ALiVE on the rest of the world map. We won't see this in A3 though.

VBS Hasn't even done it, and they're running on military grade hardware that isn't released to civilians.

The ground buildings are still very poorly detailed as pull down with the jet. Of course, this just pertains to the planes aspects that have been released via youtube or video.

Who the hell knows what infantry and even helos see.

18 hours ago, Midnighters said:

Here is what I think about arma 3. Here are your tools, and here is the law of the land. Go and use your tools now

Why so hostile? I don't know if this is possible or not, however they introduced these DLC's for reason, regarding what can and cannot be done OUTSIDE arma 3 is a different matter.

check this out.

http://www.outerra.com/ 

4 hours ago, lysan said:

Why so hostile? I don't know if this is possible or not, however they introduced these DLC's for reason, regarding what can and cannot be done OUTSIDE arma 3 is a different matter.

check this out.

Impressive, but it still pulls the map in chunks, which can be done in a much simpler way that is good enough for our purpose.

2 hours ago, SpacePilotMax said:

Impressive, but it still pulls the map in chunks, which can be done in a much simpler way that is good enough for our purpose.

as I said, I don't know much about what is needed, but if it can be done in a different way I'm all for it, could be great to have just some larger maps for the jets to roam around in.

8 hours ago, lysan said:

check this out.

That was not hostile at all. It's the truth of the matter, take it or leave it.

I too had a sort of "dream" of Arma 3 and DCS being compatible in some ways. However, this likely isn't going to come to fruition in our current realm. Hahaha, but maybe at aime point someone will make a game like that. Outerra is nice, but it's a bare bones engine that uses a flight aim as a basis. It's still in it's infancy, and some companies like the one making Titan IM still have a looong way to go before they make something even close to the quality of Arma 3. Now, as for Arma itself, the only way you could have such big maps, is if it were a large archipelago type map, or a large map with a small amount of buildings and such. So basically just countryside roads, mountains, forests, plains, etc. 

7 hours ago, lysan said:

as I said, I don't know much about what is needed, but if it can be done in a different way I'm all for it, could be great to have just some larger maps for the jets to roam around in.

A lot of games actually do the map pulls. There's even a mod in A3 that simulates AI fighting without displaying it. These two technologies can (relatively) easily be combined to create  planet-sized maps for Arma. If BI really want to, they can do it without even releasing another game.

On 5/26/2017 at 10:35 PM, lysan said:

Arma are first and foremost an infantry MIL SIM, however sometimes I wish we could merge Arma with DCS. When I write that, I don't mean the 100% complex flight sim, but maybe larger areas, more realistic flight models, a bit more flight management as we still have a pretty simple model in Arma even with the new helicopters DLC.

I also know resources to make it need to come from somewhere, however I would buy and pay a good sum of money to get a DLC that could offer more fleshed out helicopter / airplane models to the Arma world.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mW3vAge9OzM

With the new Jets, we are running out of maps, the official maps are very small when you travel with Mrk1 and the cloud base is not really representative as there are some abnormalities compared to "flight"sims. 

This is NOT a complaint, just an observation, and a bit of daydreaming about a fusion of the two worlds ;)

arma is not milsim, milsim is the legacy community, vestigial relic from past era ;)

85% of arma users are playing KotH, Wasteland, RPG Life, Survival

8 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

arma is not milsim, milsim is the legacy community, vestigial relic from past era ;)

85% of arma users are playing KotH, Wasteland, RPG Life, Survival

While I agree that Arma is not a milsim (but somewhere in between sim and shooter as vanilla game, very unique), but those numbers seem like you just pulled if out of your hat.

6 minutes ago, peegee said:

While I agree that Arma is not a milsim (but somewhere in between sim and shooter as vanilla game, very unique), but those numbers seem like you just pulled if out of your hat.

the numbers are not quite from hat.

we had discussion on the arma discord about what arma users are doing, and used some game statistics websites (like gametracker, arma3.swec.se, etc. 

consensus in the discussion was that only 15% are playing milsim/coop at any given time of day/week, while at any time of day you check, 85% of steam user count will be playing the modes listed above.

these stats give some idea. clearly KotH is  under-represented here though

https://arma3.swec.se/game/statistics

cilHXR7.png

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

the numbers are not quite from hat.

we had discussion on the arma discord about what arma users are doing, and used some game statistics websites (like gametracker, arma3.swec.se, etc. 

consensus in the discussion was that only 15% are playing milsim/coop at any given time of day/week, while at any time of day you check, 85% of steam user count will be playing the modes listed above.

these stats give some idea. clearly KotH is  under-represented here though

https://arma3.swec.se/game/statistics

cilHXR7.png

Well maybe it's just me dreaming, I would like it to be a MIL SIM, with large maps, realistic helicopters and jets like in DCS :) however I can see that this is just my pipe dream talking.

Again, what else are there out there? not a whole lot if any, so that is why I wish larger maps and a bit more added to the flight models in Arma.

DCS: Normandy 1944 adds 93,000 square kilometers of Europe to fight over

I guess Altis map is 270 square kilometres, maybe something as large as the DCS map would be possible?

6 hours ago, lysan said:

I guess Altis map is 270 square kilometres, maybe something as large as the DCS map would be possible?

Not if you want it to be ground-ready.

2 hours ago, SpacePilotMax said:

Not if you want it to be ground-ready.

well, that would not be very good as this is the whole point of Arma, but hey someday it will be possible just not now I recon.

5 minutes ago, lysan said:

well, that would not be very good as this is the whole point of Arma, but hey someday it will be possible just not now I recon.

No. No one feature or gameplay orientation is the point of arma. Arma 3 is what you make of it, a military simulation at core but it doesn't have to be just infantry or just planes.

I can roll around and do some tank battles against other people Pew pew.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

No. No one feature or gameplay orientation is the point of arma. Arma 3 is what you make of it, a military simulation at core but it doesn't have to be just infantry or just planes.

I can roll around and do some tank battles against other people Pew pew.

Yes, but spacepilot mentioned that ground battles would not be with the graphic details if the maps were to big, and then we lose the combined arms ability, and that would be a shame.

The whole point is to have the combined arms function, fleshed out on all areas not just infantry, however i see that is a very distant possibility due to limitations.

• Like 1