dmarkwick

Locked out of an ArmA mission

So if I make a mission with - for example - the ASR AI mod, something gets written to the mission .sqm file that then requires that addon to be present, even when that addon has no objects in the mission? (Same for the ACE mod.)

Why oh why oh why.

So if I disable the ASR AI mod I cannot use or edit the mission. That's it. All I can do is make the exact same mission again, but without that mod active. Even though it has no objects in the mission.

Manually editing the reference out seems to just screw up the mission in a different way. ".rap encountered instead of =".

Tell me it isn't so.

OK, so I "save as" and do not binarize :) (I hadn't realised it was even an option there). So I can manually prune it out. But still, why the dependency?

Because there are assets that you have created or has been created in a mission that can't be just ripped away when you remove a mod? 

Otherwise, you'd load up the game without a mod and your progress is gone. 

20 hours ago, Midnighters said:

Because there are assets that you have created or has been created in a mission that can't be just ripped away when you remove a mod? 

Otherwise, you'd load up the game without a mod and your progress is gone. 

There are obviously some mods that can't just be deleted out because of assets that I've used, that makes sense. But, as I said:

Even though it has no objects in the mission.

there are some mods that get written to the mission .sqm that don't really need to be there. Example being ASR AI mod. I deleted it from the .sqm, no issues at all.

I'm wondering if there's some good reason why (some) addons that don't have any editor object presence become written to the .sqm.

6 hours ago, dmarkwick said:

There are obviously some mods that can't just be deleted out because of assets that I've used, that makes sense. But, as I said:

there are some mods that get written to the mission .sqm that don't really need to be there. Example being ASR AI mod. I deleted it from the .sqm, no issues at all.

I'm wondering if there's some good reason why (some) addons that don't have any editor object presence become written to the .sqm.

I think you'd be surprised the background information that gets sent with these types of mods. Sometimes it'll setup the mission in the editor for preparation of use ingame

I've been making a mission with some mods and had cba loaded by accident, and although i didn't think I'd used it, when i loaded the mission up without it i couldn't get in. Turns out that by putting a group name on a group icon caused cba to run it through one of its functions without me realising.

So I guess that's an example of not requiring an asset for a mission to have a dependency.