EZ41

Jets DLC refinement through the eyes of a IFR student pilot

hey guys, new to the forum been looking around but you guys are busy around here.

im currently working on my IFR and SEC ratings for FAA.

was wondering if any of these below ideas will be implemented in the future to better round the fixedwing flying in arma

starting on the ground i must say i love the new HUD runway identifier and BGS computer  but i feel the actual runways and airports were left out with this DLC.  i would love to see VASI and/or PAPI lights at the big tanoa airports and future maps 

[info on vasi papi lights ]
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/1493/whats-the-functional-difference-between-papi-and-vasi

also better taxiway identification signs/paint in the further future as the flying community grows. with nato phonetic designations and ramp designations

going on to the traffic pattern and (i realize this is only going to be possible with community and server cooperation) a map overlay when in a aircraft that shows FAA chart style traffic altitude (example; right traffic 2500AGL) and Delta Airspace circle markers around towered airports marking where you would start broadcasting your position and intentions over the radio(VOR) to the tower or other aircraft in the area

(example:  "tanoa tower, F/A-181 (callsign) with you 10 to the South east  requesting runway 25Left?|| F/A-181 10 to the south east advise when you are 4 miles out make right traffic 2500AGL  # 2 behind UAV  mid field")

i realize getting people to jump into actually flying with radio requests is best left to millsim and stuff but a overlay with the foundation of airspace and traffic paths would be great.

coming into the cockpit the MAIN thing that kills me is the unit of measurements. id like to see the option to use flying as imperial with AGL,MSL,and speed Velocity in feet and Mile  id like to see the measuring unit system change when in cockpit to better calculate Vspeeds and altitudes

[info on aviation measurements ]
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/2566/what-is-the-measurement-system-used-in-the-aviation-industry

i would like to see the Caesar civilian plane get some love too the synthetic Instrument panel is great but very rough im sure to avoid any legality's but if it could show Feet mile and engine RPM that would be enough.  also the speed tape color system would vastly help with the flight coordination during landing and take off.  in real life that Plane rotates at 60 IAS "indicated air speed" and its max speed is only 125.

i have much more but will save that for the impending conversations if these are agreeable improvements. i realize arma is not a flight sim but at the same time they have just released a DLC that touched on the expanse of bringing a renewed angle to the battle field

what do you say?

• Like 1

Don't know why this thread hasn't gotten more attention. With the amount of Arma aviators I see putting in their opinion in other threads I would have thought there'd be more input here.

Personally I think the map overlay could be easily done by a mod and there's no need for BI to do that; However I certainly wouldn't mind if they did.

I completely agree with you about units of measurement. I know military aviation is done strictly with the metric system, altitude in metres and airspeed in km/h. However I've lost count of the times I've stalled and crashed because I mistook the displayed airspeed for knots and figured "Yeah, that airspeed is fine for this type of aircraft. I don't need to ease off the stick or level out"; I think it should really be up to personal preference what unit of measurement we use for what class of vehicle. I'd also like to see an option to measure altitude above sea level instead of strictly AGL like it is now.

And about the VASI/PAPI, they are there currently on the main airport; I haven't checked the others yet. But what frustrates me is that for some silly reason they're not visible in the day, even if you shove the camera right up against the lens. It's like they're completely shut off during the day. I can only assume that BI didn't want to go through the effort of coding a light source that's visible in broad daylight, just like how the nav lights (anti-collision lights) on aircraft aren't visible either.

On 22/01/2018 at 6:05 AM, Drift_91 said:

I completely agree with you about units of measurement. I know military aviation is done strictly with the metric system, altitude in metres and airspeed in km/h.

Perhaps US one? Certainly not in French AIR/NAVY forces.

One thing which could be done is added objects/modules to place the landing aid of USS Freedom on any airfield. Same for arresting wires which could be adapted to any terrain.

It's easy to place a marker as radio beacon, easy to obtain Azimuth/distance on it, but more difficult to have a nice HUD display. Not impossible. If I have time...

• Like 1

The US uses Imperial system for aviation and navy, at least for altitude and speed. I believe ground forces are metric.

Despite the enhancements made with Jets DLC, it's no flight sim. Whenever I land a plane, it tends to float instead of drop, then once I force it down on the runway it stops on a dime (unlike ground vehicles). Contrast that to DCS World, night and day. A successful landing in DCS World earns you a beer, but even my cat can land a plane in Arma without too much trouble. I love Arma, but I have to be honest here.

On 2/11/2018 at 12:07 AM, YanYatCheng said:

They need to fix old stuff before making more new stuff.

Yes, very true.

On 2/12/2018 at 4:21 PM, pierremgi said:

Perhaps US one? Certainly not in French AIR/NAVY forces.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:33 PM, AZCoder said:

The US uses Imperial system for aviation and navy, at least for altitude and speed. I believe ground forces are metric.

Odd, I was taught that everything in the U.S. and Canadian Military was metric, including aviation. Now I'm curious what the Canadian Airforce actually uses; Feet and knots would make more sense due to civilian aviation.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:33 PM, AZCoder said:

Despite the enhancements made with Jets DLC, it's no flight sim. Whenever I land a plane, it tends to float instead of drop, then once I force it down on the runway it stops on a dime (unlike ground vehicles). Contrast that to DCS World, night and day. A successful landing in DCS World earns you a beer, but even my cat can land a plane in Arma without too much trouble. I love Arma, but I have to be honest here.

And here I thought I was just bad at landing... Glad to know floater landings are normal. I just wish the PAPI lights worked during the day so I could get my glideslope right.