-Sirion-

Mission.sqm file corrupted (???) after removing addon "CST_R_Tower" - Mission disappeared in-game - Need help please!

Hey guys.

I'm having an urgent issue. I'm planning to make an Altis total map overhaul with edited locations all over the map. Now I've hosted a local server (like we always do) and my friend tried to join. It gave him the downloadable content missing "CST_R_Tower" when he tried to connect. We tried to find it for over an hour, and I ain't too fond of editing shit with text editors as most likely I will screw it up. (Like I just did......)

I removed "CST_R_Tower" three times, or how ever you call it. (I'm a total noob in scripting and stuff.) If I hit CTRL F "CST_R_Tower" showed up three times, and removed those three...

In notepad, the mission.sqm looks like this: https://gyazo.com/b5582cd347ca2026c9a7b89b99ce418e
While on Wordpad it looks like this: https://gyazo.com/a84d3b43d40725b4b2464942e872cec9

Both screenshots were after I've edited it, but if I search on the web how to edit a mission.sqm file, they all look different than mine???

Now what happened, after I removed those lines, the entire mission didn't show up in the editor anymore, and in-game, when I tried to launch it, instead of green text, it was light blue text. And when I hit "Play" simply nothing happens.

I've put weeks of work into this mission, and just because I wanted to remove some mod that I can't even remember what it is, or can't even find it, it screwed my mission... D:<

Any help is greatly appreciated as I can't get myself to re-do ALL this work I've put into it... :(

Thanks in advance.
~ Sirion.

Your mission.sqm has been binarized, this is a normal step that the game makes to make the files more feasible for use within the engine.

The steps for binarization are quite easy to reverse. You can either use the Arma 3 Tools, as described here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgConvert

Or by opening the mission in the 3DEN editor and choosing the option not to binarize mission.sqm upon mission save.

10 minutes ago, Mokka said:

Your mission.sqm has been binarized, this is a normal step that the game makes to make the files more feasible for use within the engine.

The steps for binarization are quite easy to reverse. You can either use the Arma 3 Tools, as described here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/CfgConvert

Or by opening the mission in the 3DEN editor and choosing the option not to binarize mission.sqm upon mission save.

Yeah, that is the problem. It doesn't show up in 3DEN anymore. I can't open it anymore at all.

EDIT: By the way, thanks for the extremely fast reply lol. Wasn't expecting one this fast. :)

If your mission is binarized, you can revert that. Try Google. Next: only delete the dependencies in requirement add-ons. After that, load the missions. You will get a error message, but the mission will load. Save -> load and the additional 2 entries will be gone. And you should be good to go.

5 hours ago, Mokka said:

You can either use the Arma 3 Tools, as described here:

No need to mess around with working out the cfgConvert settings, If you have the Arma3 tools installed if you goto the CfgConvert folder there is a batch file there call MissionDerap.bat.

Just drag your mission .sqm on top of it and it will make both a backup and de-binarise it for you and the files will be placed where ever you dragged it from.

Sounds like you have deleted the objects you did not want but have not changed the item count and removed the mod dependency.

If you want to link your sqm and explain exactly what needs removing I'm sure someone here will be kind enough to a look at it for you.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crewt said:

If your mission is binarized, you can revert that. Try Google. Next: only delete the dependencies in requirement add-ons. After that, load the missions. You will get a error message, but the mission will load. Save -> load and the additional 2 entries will be gone. And you should be good to go.

I already tried to Google it, but I don't understand shit from what people say hahaha xD I'm a complete noob in this kind of stuff...

5 hours ago, Larrow said:

No need to mess around with working out the cfgConvert settings, If you have the Arma3 tools installed if you goto the CfgConvert folder there is a batch file there call MissionDerap.bat.

Just drag your mission .sqm on top of it and it will make both a backup and de-binarise it for you and the files will be placed where ever you dragged it from.

Sounds like you have deleted the objects you did not want but have not changed the item count and removed the mod dependency.

If you want to link your sqm and explain exactly what needs removing I'm sure someone here will be kind enough to a look at it for you.

I'll try that, to get Arma 3 Tools up. So only thing I have to do is drag the (already corrupted!!!) mission.sqm file into it and it would de-binarize it? Even if the file already has been corrupted? (It doesn't show up in the 3DEN Editor anymore so I cannot open it in-game at all.)
I'm too afraid I will mess the file up even more... xD Would it be easier if I just upload the file somewhere here (I have no idea how to be fairly honest :P) and that one of you will save my day? You would receive my eternal gratitude.

Thanks for the aiding comments! I really appreciate it.
~ Sirion.

The already corrupted one won't do you any good. 

First of all, I would suggest a code editing Programm Like notepad++.

Of you don't have the uncorrupted file.... I believe you lost the chance of saving your mission

11 hours ago, Larrow said:

Yes of course. I sheepishly assumed the BIKI would describe deRapping mission.sqms using this method.

Note to self: Read BIKI entries before posting them...

Thanks for making this concise and usable for the OP :D

11 hours ago, crewt said:

The already corrupted one won't do you any good. 

First of all, I would suggest a code editing Programm Like notepad++.

Of you don't have the uncorrupted file.... I believe you lost the chance of saving your mission

*Breaks loose in sweat...* Please no...? O_O

28 minutes ago, -Sirion- said:

*Breaks loose in sweat...* Please no...? O_O

You hosted the mission right? Have a look into :

%Appdata%/local/arma3/omission

Good chance you will find your mission pbo in there. If not, ask your friend whom joined your mission... Should be worth a shot.

If so, all you have to do is described in this thread :)

(Shitty quote window won't disappear...)