lukio

[PSA] USB 7.1 headset surround sound issue workaround!

So I've had this issue with my old headphones (G430) and also my new ones (HyperX Cloud 2). Both are USB headsets that have "virtual surround sound" 5.1/7.1. For all triggered audio fanatics, yes I'm aware it is not "true" 7.1 - regardless - in almost all games or media the surround experience with these headsets is great - except in Arma 3 (I believe the issue appeared shortly after the Marksman DLC). Still is fine with Arma 2 btw.

Symptoms:

Some of the symptoms are that the frontal audio is almost inaudible and often instead of right-front/left-front audio you only have clicks or stuttering. Especially incoming fire is extremely difficult to detect and barely noticeable, so bad that I really thought that the weapon sounds in A3 were awful and the whole "soundscape" thing was just a laughable gimmick. Pressing the big red 7.1 button on the HyperX did not change anything, neither did any fiddling around with Windows settings etc.

Solution:

So there have been numerous threads, tickets and discussions on this issue - up till now I haven't found any viable solution. While searching the vast plains and valleys of the WWW, I stumbled over this old article from PC Gamer about some "Razer Surround" software. After reading up and also seeing other positive reviews I decided to install it.

Razer Surround Personalized 7.1 Gaming Audio Software

EDIT: Update for anyone reading this in 2021 - Razer Surround now also needs an activation key, which only is delivered with a Razer Kraken Headset, so there is no more benefit to it. Instead I've had success activating Windows Sonic and using the Dolby Atmos app. They both correct these issues as well.

Positive:

My USB 7.1 surround sound issues with Arma 3 are solved, the sound is incredible and clear as it never was. Positional audio is correctly reflected in game and when testing with positional audio (Say3D), as well as vehicle and live rounds. The difference was astounding. This is probably how Arma 3 is supposed to sound in the first place. There is a USD 20 "pro" version that let's you fine tune your settings, but the default settings already are fine for me.

Negative:

You need to register an email and password to use the software. A horrible horrible thing that has zero benefits, but any 24h disposable mail address will suffice to get it activated (just like with NVidia drivers - which is just as annoying). You need to be logged in and online to receive updates. Program must run in the background (does not have noticeable impact on performance).

Disclaimer:

This is all under Windows 7, perhaps 8 as well, with Windows 10 the latest creators update might solve this issue, as I do not have it I can't tell.

If this solution has already been posted somewhere, I guess I haven't stumbled over this information, although I've spent about a week trying to resolve this issue. In that case, mea culpa. I am not affiliated with Razer in any way.

Nice Lukio, 

I'll save this post in the event I stumble on to more surround sound headphone issues.

Seems I had some crazy audio level disparity when trying to use the newer logitech headphones (G633s) so I'd install them with new driver set then uninstall the Logi Gaming SW and re-install my ooold original G35 software to get good audio levels.  Your Razor trick may allow me to give this another go.

Yeah don't you get tired of hearing the elite dudes say "it isnt real surround sound"... I dont care what it is, it sounds badass!  Two RL friends of mine always bought cheap stereo headsets for gaming and I always told them "man your are missing out".  Then a few months ago while at my house, I made them put my old 5.1 set on and play Arma, they bought G633/930 sets right there on amazon.  

I still use my trusty old G35 headset.  I had bad luck with a 930 and a 633 set arriving DOA then my second and third pair of 633 died in a month or two of use...yet here my old G35 (5 or more years now) still clipping along.

This sadly did not fix the issue for me. I own a pair of Razer Kraken's and I had the software installed since I got them. What fixed this issue for me was running the game in 32bit.

But you never know this might fix the issue for some other people.

On 28.5.2017 at 9:50 PM, technox123 said:

This sadly did not fix the issue for me. I own a pair of Razer Kraken's and I had the software installed since I got them. What fixed this issue for me was running the game in 32bit.

Too bad, I've had some positive feedback about it helping others as well before I made this post so I thought it was an all-out solution. Then again with PCs and custom USB drivers being at play I guess there is no on sized fits all solution.  :-/

Really weird that Razer's own software did not help. At least you could resolve the issue.

can't even get my sound to work with this when i enable razer surround even after trying some fixes online

Any further information to share, gentlemen? It's my birthday soon and I am considering switching from a stereo 3.5 jack to a USB 7.1 headset.