Sign in to follow this  
six_ten

Animate shaders

Looking to create an animated shader -- similar to water but for fabric.  Anyone know of an example I can look at?

take a look to a3\map_altis\data\water\data\test_water.rvmat, it uses a shader named CalmWater

PEJgJqi.gif

2 hours ago, zgmrvn said:

take a look to a3\map_altis\data\water\data\test_water.rvmat, it uses a shader named CalmWater

Thanks -- that's the first one I tried -- I need to get at the underlying shader though -- I don't want the reflection, just the scrolling normal maps.

If you'd post what you are trying to achieve, maybe you'd get a better answer

22 hours ago, PuFu said:

If you'd post what you are trying to achieve, maybe you'd get a better answer

I want the sails on my boats to ripple, like the surface of water.  So I want the texture and opacity, also AS and MC to to remain as they are now, but I want the normal maps to scroll and ripple.

ahhhm, afaik, it is no possible

Can diffuse textures or other parts of a shader be animated at all?

hmmm, thinking about it, i think it could be done via the same way the tank track textures are animated....can't think about doing it any other way (btw, that animates everything, not just certain textures afaik)

Yeah, I just want the sails to ripple, not any other part.  I'd thought about the tank track animation but (a) couldn't find the part that animated them and (b) don't want it to be related to user input, rather just to move when the wind blows.

You could go the extra mile and do hardcore wind/fabric simulations in 3ds max or Blender, and then bake them into an animation. So the short animation just loops making it look like a simulation. No actual simulations in game. Maybe try to link the animation with movement speed of the boat. Seems a bit much just for a boat sail. But its an option you could try exploring.