Mr. Quark

How to view speed of sound?

How do I view the literal rendering of the speed of sound? I wanna see the sound things travel, does anyone know if this is possible?

Probably not in the way you're imagining. Sound isn't rendered then travels away, it will be a simple time delay calculated on the distance between between player and sound event. I guess you might create a script that can eject particles that travel outward at the speed of sound, and apply it to an event that you're interested in. It won't be exactly what you're imagining (probably) but it might be a visual indicator similar to what you're imagining.

• Like 1

a visual indicator? You're gonna have to do that yourself. No real way of debugging "sounds" :P

if possible, you could just check to see if the player can hear the sound or if  the sound is played 

Oh well, I hope sometime someone makes something like that. I have no idea how to script lol

Just now, Mr. Quark said:

Oh well, I hope sometime someone makes something like that. I have no idea how to script lol

Very concept to learn here:

learn more, research, apply, repeat. 

Learn more what and apply what?

"Scripting".

Research and Learning can be assimilated into one idea in some sense or another.

But, applying it is where you truly learn and problem solve. 

• Like 1

I've been trying scripting but I don't get what to use and when. I do love the scripting API though.

1 minute ago, Mr. Quark said:

I've been trying scripting but I don't get what to use and when. I do love the scripting API though.

Huh? You obviously haven't been actually trying. 

community.bistudio.com is your friend. 

1 hour ago, Midnighters said:

Huh? You obviously haven't been actually trying. 

community.bistudio.com is your friend. 

I'll try and make something then. And I mean it's too complicated.

Hey mate. Starting to script things in Arma is not easy to begin with, as you might have noticed yourself already. There's a lot of API and officially written and supported utility functions out there.

Trying to set foot in such an environment is not easy at all.

I wish there was some kind of "Beginner's Example" tasks post, that would present some interesting "challenges" for scripting that would teach you the basics.

But since there is none, my advice on how to get started scripting Arma is: Find simple problems, and try to solve them through scripts.

These could be trivial examples or concrete problems, that would teach you the general process of finding a solution by research and trial-and-error.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Quark said:

I'll try and make something then. And I mean it's too complicated.

Nothing is necessarily too complicated, you just have to find a way to wrap your head around it.

Just now, Mokka said:

Hey mate. Starting to script things in Arma is not easy to begin with, as you might have noticed yourself already. There's a lot of API and officially written and supported utility functions out there.

Trying to set foot in such an environment is not easy at all.

I wish there was some kind of "Beginner's Example" tasks post, that would present some interesting "challenges" for scripting that would teach you the basics.

But since there is none, my advice on how to get started scripting Arma is: Find simple problems, and try to solve them through scripts.

These could be trivial examples or concrete problems, that would teach you the general process of finding a solution by research and trial-and-error.

There are plenty "Beginner's Example" posts. Look around a bit, maybe you'd find some.

• Like 1

Well, Midnighters, at least I am trying to help the chap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mokka said:

Well, Midnighters, at least I am trying to help the chap.

Well Mokka. I'm not sure what magical land you live in. But I never was spoon fed anything, I learned by studying the wiki examples and documentation in combination with watching what others had to post. 

As far as I'm concerned, there is no helping anybody in this context, they have to want to learn for themselves.

To add to my above:

Here are a few good resources to get you started, explaining the fundamental concepts as well as giving you a rough idea for some examples:

If you do have any specific questions regarding something, don't refrain from making a post asking for help or writing me a PM :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mokka said:

wish there was some kind of "Beginner's Example" tasks post, that would present some interesting "challenges" for scripting that would teach you the basics.

But since there is none,

Huh. 

4 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

Well Mokka. I'm not sure what magical land you live in. But I never was spoon fed anything, I learned by studying the wiki examples and documentation in combination with watching what others had to post. 

As far as I'm concerned, there is no helping anybody in this context, they have to want to learn for themselves.

This is - once again - your opinion to have, as arrogant and primitive I consider it. If I can help someone by sharing the knowledge I have gathered, so be it.

I am fully against providing people with the full solution to their problem without them learning from it as well, but in this case I am helping out someone that wants to start scripting.

Discussion closed here, I am not going to reply to any further provocations from your side...

• Like 1

I don't want to shove words in his mouth but I think he might mean something that has simple problems in it that you try and fix. 

Oh, sorry I didn't get a notification that you replied.

Oh, sorry I didn't get a notification that you replied.

I don't want to shove words in his mouth but I think he might mean something that has simple problems in it that you try and fix. 

which is fine, but it's like giving all the answers to a math test.

What's the point of learning if you're spoon fed the answers? NONE

I don't want to be spoon fed the answers. All I need is simple help. And from what I understand I am getting it. Not by spoon but just simple sources on help

I don't want to be spoon fed the answers. All I need is simple help. And from what I understand I am getting it. Not by spoon but just simple sources on help

As I posted above, the wiki has it all. 

Not every has to be given info from the wiki. I think it's fine wherever you get the info, as long as you try and learn it.

• Like 1