derbismarck

Helicopter FOV Changes on Airspeed Exceeds

There's a small config change that occurred which seriously screws with people trying to pilot helicopters in first person. You can see it here when I exceed about 30kph:

This involuntary zooming screws with a pilots perception of airspeed and dimensionality. I don't think it's intended behavior. I made a small config change to fix this, which you can see in my post over here:

It's just a matter of setting the default speedZoomMaxFOV value for class ViewPilot for all helicopters to be 1.0 as opposed to the now-default 0.75.

Thanks for bringing that up and for the mod.

The property has been added for 1.70 to actually get rid of the FoV changes zoom out according to speed present in the game before. Without the property the FoV would zooms out from initFov to maxFov. SpeedZoomMaxFOV sets the maximum of these dynamic changes without affecting the view zoom out (minus key) extent. Vanilla helicopters use initFov 0.75 therefore the default has been set as 0.75 to completely remove the FoV changes.

However - seeing your video - we've caused some unwanted zooming in on vehicles with initFov larger than 0.75. That's definitely not been intended. We're sorry about caused issues. As a full workaround you'd have to set the speedZoomMaxFOV to the same value as initFov in the viewPilot or other viewXY of the given vehicle.

• Like 4

Yes, I just read this now after figuring this out on my own here. I realized it's not a real fix for the issue. I apologize for any confusion I might have caused!

1 hour ago, oukej said:

Thanks for bringing that up and for the mod.

The property has been added for 1.70 to actually get rid of the FoV changes zoom out according to speed present in the game before. Without the property the FoV would zooms out from initFov to maxFov. SpeedZoomMaxFOV sets the maximum of these dynamic changes without affecting the view zoom out (minus key) extent. Vanilla helicopters use initFov 0.75 therefore the default has been set as 0.75 to completely remove the FoV changes.

However - seeing your video - we've caused some unwanted zooming in on vehicles with initFov larger than 0.75. That's definitely not been intended. We're sorry about caused issues. As a full workaround you'd have to set the speedZoomMaxFOV to the same value as initFov in the viewPilot or other viewXY of the given vehicle.

Moving to this topic since it seems more relevant here then in the other topic (about jet dlc feedback)

So are you trying to get rid of the Fov moving aft during acceleration? (and im talking about ur vanilla mh-9)  Cause you state you made a change to not exceed values. (tbh I dont know anything about coding or limits)

We are just some arma 3 mh-9 addicts who would love to know if we can expect to have back our FOV that shift back and forth based on speed.

If you plan to delete this Fov moving back and forth out of the game, would u please consider instead of making this a feature to enable/disable?

some people might find it horrible, but for the people i know and myself included is just spot on, since most of our landings are in hot zones we slow down really quickly in a  high banking situations.

dumb it down for non expert please

Rather than reintroducing speed/FoV changes we started iterating more on actual head fwd/bck motion due to acceleration (not speed) and we may revisit the initFov = 0.75 standard because on some vehicles the view feels too glued to the windshield.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, oukej said:

Rather than reintroducing speed/FoV changes we started iterating more on actual head fwd/bck motion due to acceleration (not speed) and we may revisit the initFov = 0.75 standard because on some vehicles the view feels too glued to the windshield.

well I am excited for the possibilities of what that could bring, the problem I have right now, if you jump in the helicopter in first person right now in the editor and u can do it from your game,

the position you get while jumping in and not touching anything is waaaay to zoomed in.

If u press - key and put urself in the maximum aft view its good for fast flying, but hard and unpleasant to have a correct perception of the space below you, since the fov is so lean back the environment in slow speed feels almost stretched and during the maneuver we do, like landing quickly the perception of obstacle is distorted, and flying with mouse and keyboard we dont have physically the time nor the fingers to zoom in, that's why that speed camera was so good, it was adapting for us.

And again im talking about hell quick landing, 250km/h into left 60degres bank turn and landing just  10meters from that in the middle of 3/4 building in kavala or whatever , its a maneuver that will take top 1/3 second, took us thousand of hours to get into and master, its not something that an average user will miss or experience because he never felt how in those situation that camera shift was useful, especially if u don`t own a track IR and fly with mouse and keyboard only.

I have been playing this game since  2014 and this is the first time, with all the changes and the different bugs we had to experience, most likely pushed by the disappointment we all had in our group of friends to come here and complain, im sorry to be annoying but this one is rough for us.

although we will adapt but still suck to loose such a good feature as this dynamic speed camera.

regards

• Like 1

As a TrackIR user, the forced dynamic fov was absolutely awful. If you plan to reintroduce it or add something similar please make it player optional.
Also the default cockpit/3d person view should be placed right in the middle of max and min FOV. Then players can use numpad +-, if they need to adjust.

There should be consistent default FOV in all vehicles. Now, there is a mishmash of different FOV values. E.g the with the Jet DLC planes, you have the default FOV pushed all the way back with limited zoom, completely different from any vehicles you have made previously. Why is it done this way?

Of course the best option would be if players them self could set a default FOV position in aircrafts, land vehicles and infantry in the options menu/config file.

• Like 4

Should we expect these changes to be reverted to what they used to be originally anytime soon, or should we include fixes in our mods?

• Like 3

Doesn't seem like there are any fixes needed. Must be caused by something different. I have tested couple of CUP and RHS helicopters and haven't been able to reproduce the zoom-in issue.

@derbismarck - what mods have you been using when recording the video?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oukej said:

Doesn't seem like there are any fixes needed. Must be caused by something different. I have tested couple of CUP and RHS helicopters and haven't been able to reproduce the zoom-in issue.

I tried a few helicopters and the RHS Littlebirds seems to have said problem.

(Using a custom FOV doesn't make a difference. I tried from the default 70° up to 120°)

It appears that the Head Range Plus - TrackIR Mod seems to be the issue.

@derbismarck could it be that you are also using said mod?

Edited by cineafx
Found a possible solution
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, oukej said:

It depends what types of helicopters you tried. I don't know about CUP, but in RHS the UH-60 happens to not have a problem, but the AH-6's definitely do.

CUP UH-1Y Venom also has that problem, not sure if there's more.

14 hours ago, cineafx said:

I tried a few helicopters and the RHS Littlebirds seems to have said problem.

(Using a custom FOV doesn't make a difference. I tried from the default 70° up to 120°)

It appears that the Head Range Plus - TrackIR Mod seems to be the issue.

@derbismarck could it be that you are also using said mod?

Yes, I am using that mod.

17 hours ago, oukej said:

When I say fix, I mean a temporary solution to prevent any and all instances of vehicles with different initFov and speedZoomMaxFOV from having a jarring transition. The solution I came up with was to set the airspeed at which the FOV change occurs to be a comically high value, resulting in a FOV that always stays at the default initFov for the vehicle. As others have stated, this is present for enough vehicles in RHS and CUP that it is an inconvenience worth fixing temporarily for some people.

If I'm not mistaken, any air vehicle which has an initFov not equal to 0.75 will experience this FOV shift.

I'll take a look at my Head Range Plus mod and see if I can fix this issue.  There was no documentation regarding this speed change and I tried to fix the issue in my last update.  Looks like it is still a problem.  Thanks for the explanation of the defaults.  I personally hate the "zoom change with speed" feature and plan to do my best to remove it or reduce it as much as possible.  I just wish BI would make the FOV consistent from walking around to being in a vehicle and then allow players to set their FOV in the game menu options.  Then if they removed the limits on head rotation, my mod would not even be needed.  :)  It was originally my intention to not even touch FOV because I know it's such a personal thing.  And I have a slider on my joystick set to continuous zoom as a fix for the various FOV changes from vehicle to vehicle.

EDIT: Version 2.9 now fixes this FOV bug and adds support for Jets DLC!  :)

• Like 4

The issue would appear in any mod, wherever the initFov was higher than 0.75.
That should be now prevented by a different configuration of the speed sensitive FoV settings in the base class

56 minutes ago, bis_iceman said:

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, oukej said:

The issue would appear in any mod, wherever the initFov was higher than 0.75.
That should be now prevented by a different configuration of the speed sensitive FoV settings in the base class

finally!