I noticed an oddity with the new update (1.70) in relation to FOV changes and helicopter velocities and set out to fix it. I have that fix for you down below, but I'll also quickly explain the issue and how I got about fixing it for those who are curious.

The problem: When you're piloting a helicopter (from first person) you get a noticeable FOV decrease (seen visually as an involuntary "zoom in") if you exceed a certain airspeed in some airframes. This FOV decrease can be very jarring, as it interferes with a pilot's intuition in a specific airframe and with their ability to judge distance, velocity, and dimensionality at a glance. I have a sample video here that shows off the issue. It may not look too terrible when watching someone else, but if you're reasonably proficient with any given airframe and attempt to take it up in this update you will immediately see what I mean.

How I fixed it: I first tried looking through the config.cpp for air_f.pbo, but couldn't spot anything obvious on a simple first pass. I instead took that config.cpp from 1.70, and the same config.cpp from 1.68 and did a file comparison. From there it was easy to guess which config change introduced the FOV issue. I then quickly wrote up a config addon to remedy this issue for my own singleplayer shenanigans. Here's the source for the config fix:

class CfgVehicles
{
	class AllVehicles;
	class Air: AllVehicles {
		class ViewPilot;
	};
	class Helicopter: Air {
		class ViewPilot: ViewPilot {
			speedZoomMaxSpeed = 1000000;
		};
	};
};

And finally here's a download for the PBO that does the fixing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l05796h0v1c55vl/bsm_helo_fov_fix.pbo

Edited by derbismarck
I made a mistake, this addon has been fixed now
  • Like 2

Wow...what an odd change...I wonder if it is intentional or not? Maybe you should post this on the Dev branch discussion thread? Might be worth getting some Dev feedback. Thanks for the fix-I'll be using it now :D

• Like 3

strange...but today I have this zoom bug not with heli -  when fly with gryphon jet

Just now, sammael said:

strange...but today I have this zoom bug not with heli -  when fly with gryphon jet

I don't often fly fixed wing, however it would seem that all jets are also affected by the oddity. This config change focuses only on the helicopters. If you want me to write you a little PBO that changes all air vehicles back to their old behavior I'd be happy to!

37 minutes ago, ineptaphid said:

Wow...what an odd change...I wonder if it is intentional or not? Maybe you should post this on the Dev branch discussion thread? Might be worth getting some Dev feedback. Thanks for the fix-I'll be using it now :D

I made a post there now: 

Since you just watched   at heli configs. Already almost a year there is a serous bug with AI heli pilots. They become drunk and make  crazy endless circles if fly at height above 350-400m. There are 3-4 tickets on bugtracker and nothing happened. Maybe it is small bug in config and you can find it when you have free time.

sorry for a  little offtop.

and big thank you for super fast FOV fix

rerpo video

Spoiler

You should use this version (I made a mistake and have updated it): https://www.dropbox.com/s/4t3w7lvvj08a1bc/bsm_air_fov_fix.pbo

1 hour ago, Jnr4817 said:

Where do I put this or how do I implement it for single, mulit, and dedicated?

Awesome work.

This is a clientside addon. Anybody who wants to use this config fix should create a folder inside their main A3 installation, call it whatever you want (@bsm_fixes for example), and then create a subdirectory called addons. Inside that addons folder you put the PBO. You should have <a3 directory>\@bsm_fixes\addons\bsm_air_fov_fix.pbo). Then you just launch your game with @bsm_fixes via the A3 launcher. I haven't used it in forever so I don't know what that process looks like these days, but I'm sure you can figure that one out.

Edited by derbismarck
I made a mistake, fixed, DL is different

Root post has been updated, the source is different now. I realized that I both fixed and created issues with my original code. The new code on the other hand should make sure no involuntary zooming occurs. It's a hacky fix, yes, but until addon makers update their addons it does the job. Here's an explanation of what I got wrong: 

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused!