Faelandaea

Fixed Wing and hardware

Good morning, all.

I am considering buying Arma 3, and am wondering about fixed wing operations in this game.  I see a lot of discussion about rotor pilots and how in demand they are, but do not see much on fixed wing.

Why am I interested in fixed wing?  I am a real world general aviation pilot with a passion for flying.  In any game I play which may have aviation activity, I tend to focus the most on that activity.  I was also in the US Army and my activities there had me focused on reconnaissance operations.

With that in mind, I have two questions:

1. Is there a lot of demand in this game for fixed wing pilots performing reconnaissance related missions?
  2. Do fixed wing aircraft in this game work well with the CH Flight Sim Yoke and Rudder Pedals?

I thank anyone very much for their answers.  I am taking some of this very seriously as the purpose of looking at this and other related games is to expand my YouTube stream a bit into combat simulation.  So I appreciate any information and wish you all a safe day with no deaths.

17 hours ago, Faelandaea said:

1. Is there a lot of demand in this game for fixed wing pilots performing reconnaissance related missions?
  2. Do fixed wing aircraft in this game work well with the CH Flight Sim Yoke and Rudder Pedals?

1.) Depends on the mission and playerbase of a server. I would argue that on public servers reconnaissance isnt needed (or maybe needed but people just blow things up and run around uncoordinated). On private communities/clans/groups things are different, but you have to find one.

2) I dont see why they shouldnt.  The flightmodel is barebones basic, contrived and not really a good aproximation of physical behaviour, so dont expect wonders.

hey man, while jets have been in arma for awhile this is the dawn of aviation in arma as far as IFR and actual flight coordination, before it was just shift till your fast enough to get airborn and VFR till you die (usually trying to land at 500MPH with no flap.  if you havent already give arma 3 a try its great fun and you can  find servers that will heavily use airsupport though recce is mostly a trailertrash UAV operators game at this point. i have used AA fighter  as circling and spotting from air when no OP4 airsupport is up.  it is abit of a curve since they do not have realistic max speeds or any V speeds mapped out for the aircraft

here is my right up of its lacking components that urk me as a pilot

Edited by EZ41
related thread link