Hi all, i'm creating a scenario in which I'd need some (a lot actually) groups of AIs to spawn in certain markers and follow a waypoint assigned after their creation. Since I need to do that a lot of times, i tried to create an Inline function inside of the .sqf file I use to control all the processes and spawns during the mission.

spawngroup = {
	params ["groupname", "marker"];

"Terrorista1" createUnit [getMarkerPos "marker",groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];
	"Terrorista2" createUnit [getMarkerPos "marker",groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];
	"Terrorista3" createUnit [getMarkerPos "marker",groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];
	"Terrorista4" createUnit [getMarkerPos "marker",groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];
	"Terrorista5" createUnit [getMarkerPos "marker",groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];

wp = groupname addWaypoint [position attack,0,0];
	wp setWaypointType "DESTROY";

groupname setCurrentWaypoint [groupname, 0];

};

gruppo1 = createGroup EAST;
[gruppo1,"spawn1"] call spawngroup;

gruppo2 = createGroup EAST;
[gruppo2,"spawn2"] call spawngroup;

etc...

Obviously (because I suck) this does not work, inside the missions it returns an error like local variable in global space..

Anyone can make this work properly? I just want a func that given a groupname and a marker, create those AI and send them to destroy anything on marker "attack"

Where are you actually calling this function at? Surely not a trigger of sorts right?

Otherwise, wouldn't make sense if it was being executed in scheduled. 

3 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

Where are you actually calling this function at? Surely not a trigger of sorts right?

Otherwise, wouldn't make sense if it was being executed in scheduled. 

it's called inside the .sqf in which it is declared

13 minutes ago, 2RGT Niko said:

params [groupname, "marker"];

groupname has to be "groupname" 

in quotations. 

3 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

groupname has to be "group name" 

in quotations. 

with the space too? I mean, group name, not groupname?

1 minute ago, 2RGT Niko said:

with the space too? I mean, group name, not groupname?

group name without the space.

Ok I did it, but there still is an Error Local variable in global space at line 2

Why do you create the group outside of the fnc? Do you need it for something specifically?
Is TerroristaN a cfg entry?
You need to use local variable inside fnc in this case (e.g. _marker and not marker)

2 minutes ago, giallustio said:

Why did you create the group outside of the fnc? Do you need it for something specifically?
TerroristaN is a cfg entry?
You need to use local variable inside fnc in this case (e.g. _marker and not marker)

but wouldn't it still be local wether or not it was "marker" or "_marker"

especially since it's enclosed in the  brackets, and the variable couldn't be used anywhere else? 

4 minutes ago, giallustio said:

Is TerroristaN a cfg entry?

TerroristaN are unit's class names

5 minutes ago, giallustio said:

Why do you create the group outside of the fnc? Do you need it for something specifically?

Because I need to do that with a lot of new groups during the mission, that's why I wanted a func, or I'd need to copy paste the block of code one time for every group, and it'd be an huge amount of code

2 minutes ago, 2RGT Niko said:

TerroristaN are unit's class names

Because I need to do that with a lot of new groups during the mission, that's why I wanted a func, or I'd need to copy paste the block of code one time for every group, and it'd be an huge amount of code

why not just create the group inside the function? That way, regardless of what groups exist: you'd be able to assign the units to the group and execute the waypoint without having to create more and more groups if you decide to make any more units. 

gruppo1 = createGroup EAST;
[gruppo1,"spawn1"] call spawngroup;

-------

["spawn1"] call spawngroup;

spawngroup = {
	params ["_marker"];
	_gruppo = createGroup EAST;
 	"Terrorista1" createUnit [getMarkerPos _marker,_gruppo,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];
	etc....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Midnighters said:

why not just create the group inside the function? That way, regardless of what groups exist: you'd be able to assign the units to the group and execute the waypoint without having to create more and more groups if you decide to make any more units. 

In that case, ArmA create each time a new group? Or overwrite the current one?

@giallustio still need clarification on why you think _marker and marker would make a difference in locality. 

1 minute ago, 2RGT Niko said:

In that case, ArmA create each time a new group? Or overwrite the current one?

Not necessarily, once you create the unit you either assign a group or it's its own group. 

I don't know if that change anything, but this should work on a dedicated MP server

4 minutes ago, giallustio said:

I'm talking about the usage within the brackets. Not the params, because that is totally separate from where it's being used.

I totally agree with it not being local within params. But inside? 

"spawn1" is the marker name.
If you pass it to the fnc, you need to use a local var. 
_marker = _this select whatever;
If you use "marker", it will look for the marker called "marker" which doesn't exist in this context
  • Like 1

spawngroup = {
	params ["_marker"];

_groupname = createGroup EAST;

"Terrorista1" createUnit [getMarkerPos "_marker",_groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];
	"Terrorista2" createUnit [getMarkerPos "_marker",_groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];
	"Terrorista3" createUnit [getMarkerPos "_marker",_groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];
	"Terrorista4" createUnit [getMarkerPos "_marker",_groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];
	"Terrorista5" createUnit [getMarkerPos "_marker",_groupname,"this allowFleeing 0",random 1, "Private"];

_wp = _groupname addWaypoint [position attack,0,0];
	_wp setWaypointType "DESTROY";

_groupname setCurrentWaypoint [_groupname, 0];

};

["spawn1"] call spawngroup;

That's the actual code, and it WORKS, thanks a lot guys <3

Well not, it doesn't totally work, AI spawns correctly but they're totally not going on marker "attack", they move somewhere on southeast, probably to coordinates 0,0, or the map's center, maybe. The problem is here i guess

_wp = _groupname addWaypoint [position attack,0,0];

how can i fix it?

P.S. actually attack is a folding chair, not a marker :huh2:

_wp = _groupname addWaypoint [getPos attack, 0];

And remove 

_groupname setCurrentWaypoint [_groupname, 0];

Give it a try.

Or:
_groupname setCurrentWaypoint [_groupname, _wp];

6 minutes ago, giallustio said:

_wp = _groupname addWaypoint [getPos attack, 0];

Only changing this gives no errors but AI just spawn without moving

I added your setCurrent but there's an error in the syntax, because he wants an index not a waypoint