Cryptdik

Question about DLC requirements; would I need APEX?

So I've noticed in some missions like MP domination, ARMA still lets you use DLC weapons but gives you popups about the DLC. I've also noticed that you aren't able to crew certain DLC vehicles and such. My question is that in terms of mission editing, what in particular will cause your mission to require APEX? For example, if I simply place APEX static objects like decorations, compared to requiring you to pilot a DLC helicopter. Would both cause your mission to require APEX? Or does ARMA let it slide on things like using APEX props and things that aren't necessary to your mission like using certain vehicles or weapons that would only be accessible if you do have APEX

I also noticed you aren't able to connect to drones that are DLC that you don't have (in this case the new JETS stealth drone) but in relation to simply using things like DLC props, what will and what won't cause my mission to require APEX or whatever DLC? I know that the DLC maps like Tanoa wouldn't be accessible, but what if I placed APEX objects in my mission that are non-interactive?

BUMP who has good answers for this? I have been unable to find any good information on it myself..

In general Arma had a pretty decent dlc politic. Marksman/carts/Helis  allowed the user to join into a Szenario even if content from this dlc was used. 

Simply by constantly telling the user that he either can't use the specific content or not providing entry points.

Tanoa as a major add-on. Was a different scenario. If you don't own Apex, you can't place/see Apex objects and it won't allow you to join a server. (Only preplaced. Spawned objects are an other story).

But hey. You can watch, as you build a mission what requirements/ dependencies your mission has.

It's like this:

server starts mission, mission goes "Welp, looks like there are no dependencies, so we won't block anyone that doesn't have it".

then when a player joins that does have the dlc. Mission pulls the information from the client, and if the helicopter is spawned or something like that then as soon as the player walks up the player will be able to fly it.

if in fact, the player doesn't have it then it'll throw the dlc message at the player.

Since the mission is not solely dependent on the dlc content like buildings, clothing, vehicles, etc and rather: they are spawned or created in whilst the runtime of the game.

There is no dependency issues, but the dlc ownership restrictions still apply. 

@Midnighters True, if its not Tanoa content. Tanoa content simply isn't downloaded for the player, so there is an 'real' Error message. if Tanoa assets are build in the mission (mentioned in the mission.ext) or more precise are in the required addons, no player who doesn't own Apex, will be capable to join your mission. If you would build in an Jet from the new Jet DLC, there won't be any conflicts and anyone can join, but not anyone can fly the plane.

@crewt surely, the truth of it for Tanoa is the content isn't downloaded at all. Just enough to present things like thumbnails and other things like that.

I didn't realize the was the case with the jets dlc. I haven't seen any dependency issues with it, Tanoa was definitely a punch in the gut. Pains me to see people on day 1 of Tanoa release just mass joining without the dlc and expecting to be able to join. :shrug:

Oh god no, The jets DLC is like the Karts-DLC, only useful every client has all the data. Sorry I must have expressed  myself strange :down:

1 minute ago, crewt said:

Oh god no, The jets DLC is like the Karts-DLC, only useful every client has all the data. Sorry I must have expressed  myself strange :down:

No, I don't think so.  I was misunderstanding what you were trying to convey.

I've only had a few hours with the jets dlc, despite seeing it in dev branch and such. 

So, what will happen when you use APEX or Marksman music in your mission?

When you place it via a trigger and select the track?

Probably would work fine for people who do not have the dlc, when copying the file and placing it in the mission directory right?

I am not entirely sure, but I'd assume the music for all DLCs is part of the "base update", the patch everyone receives for download and install after release. These things are called a "platform update".

You'd have to test this, my recommendation.

Unless there is someone here that already has made experiences with cross-DLC use of music?!

• Like 1

Music? What music do you mean? Like weapon sounds or more like the menu sound? 

Well, APEX for example has a whole different version of the This Is War track.

• Like 1

If  mission has content placed in editor or spawned mid mission such as the hanger "Land_Airport_02_hangar_right_F" from Tanoa terrain then the mission will kick you if you don't have apex either at mission start/JIP or when spawned. If you don't own Apex but a vehicle like a Prowler is spawned or preplaced in editor then the mission will not kick you. I think the hard deciding factor is content which comes with Tanoa terrain.

10 hours ago, Jigsor said:

. If you don't own Apex but a vehicle like a Prowler is spawned or preplaced in editor then the mission will not kick you. I think the hard deciding factor is content which comes with Tanoa terrain.

The missions will not kick you and you can enter the vehicle in any cargo/passenger seat, just like with the Helicopter DLC. You still get a small reminder on the side of the screen that you are sitting in an Apex expansion vehicle (the LShift + P Reminder).

Addendum: If you spawn into an Apex vehicle you can also drive it (with the expansion reminder popping in), similar to how DLC vehicles from carts and helicopters DLC work.

U should be able to disable apex addon, aren't you?
If u disable it then all things u can set up with Eden do not need apex ownership and u can connect to a server with that mission without apex ownership

sent from mobile using Tapatalk

• Like 3