L0N3_W0LF

VTOL handling after Jets DLC...?

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the handling on the VTOL's changed. Sure, the new thrust control is awesome but you can't land a VTOL vertically down anymore. (Landing with vectoring on doesnt work anymore). Now having to land like an airplane defeats the purpose of even having a VTOL in-game. 

Please can you fix the vectoring when landing a VTOL.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

L0N3_W0LF

You just gotta practice and find the sweet spot with the throttle when landing. I found the Xi'an that it's around 40%.

Yeah, you can still land vertically, but it has gotten exponentially more difficult.

• Like 1

I had a play around with it this morning, at the start I thought it was impossible to land vertically but I then got the hang of it. 

- Don't use Auto-Vectoring.

- Use the Manual Vectoring UP/DOWN either on your scroll wheel or when ever bind it maybe on your controls.

There is defiantly a lot of changes but I can see theses will work out once everyone get use to them.

M+KB Pilot here,

Before the latest update, I had zero issues flying the Blackfish with a keyboard and mouse, and each chopper felt like it controlled smoothly and had appropriate mass.

After the latest update, I've had serious trouble trying to land the Blackfish, and choppers are way too light, the tiniest mouse movement no longer makes a smooth, tiny adjustment but instead jerks the chopper around.

My problem landing the Blackfish is that the thing won't f*ing slow down, or when I do try to slow down the engine goes to ZERO and the craft crashes (cause of the damn airbrake control actually controlling more than just the airbrake, the throttle too?)

I bought like 10 Blackfish and carefully examined my controls each time, and also looked up advice. I couldn't find the binding to manually adjust the rotors, only the flaps.

Also, I tried every combination I could of controls, vectoring (now CTRL+X), and throttle.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I think B.I. has made an awesome game, and I love the polish (esp audio) that went into the latest patch. Please just fix the chopper and blackfish physics!

With Auto-vectoring.

- Hold X, this keeps your vector at 90 degrees.

It's easier to use Manual Vectoring

Hm... Now that I tested it with manual vectoring (I don't know how it's supposed to work, but I have to activate auto vectoring to enable manual vectoring... sounds weird... is weird...) it actually has become even easier to land. Or at least it has become more pleasant.

Lets hope this is fixed soon i want to get off the ground in the VTOL Showcase.

I don't understand why they made these changes, and I'm finding no information on whether this was intentional or not. The Y-32 and blackfish are basically unflyable in their current state on m+kb.

• Like 1

Hello all,

I too was fliping confused when it came to flying the blackfish after the jets dlc but it is able to be done. After some practice and setting controls how i find it easy this is how i do it.

To start the landing from forward flight to landing as a VTOL

1-I first lower my throttle to 0 (using z or my rebound LAlt+mouse wheel down) and use the X key to use my speed brake till I am doing around 180km/h.

2- at this point i use LCtrl+ mouse up to bring the engine nacells up to 90 degrees for landing

3-then I use the speed brake again to continue slowing while i also nose up slightly

4- this is the tricky stage. once you get to a certain speed you will start decending because your throttle is at 0 which means you will have to increase your throttle to slow your decent.

to do this easier i bound my Lalt+mouse up&down respectively to give me finer control over my throttle

5- to control your decent you will have to feather the throttle to find a sweet spot

6- once your speed is zero or your are where you want to stop/land you should hopefully have found a sweet spot with the throttle or at least be able to manage the ascent/decent speed which will now enable you to land.

Please note

This is for sure a balancing act and it is no different to the collective in a real life heli.

The best way i found to learn is to hover and see how different throttle settings affect my ascent/decent speed

FYI Facts

liftoff throttle is about 66%

perfect hover is about 64% or so

The only way to fly these is to practice and to make good use of and be able to balance your speed brake (x key), manual vectoring (LCtrl+mousewheel up&down respectively) and your throttle (shift and Z or in my case Lalt+mouse up&down respectively) 

Lastly i would recommend getting used to a running landing (landing on a runway with forward speed) or practicing on the salt flat where it is nice and open first and then easing into a hover landing.

Hope this helps as i was feeling your pain.

Cheers Moonman

I use a Logitech F310 for all my vehicle driving/flying, and even I am having trouble flying VTOLs. I understand that the type of VTOL determines how it will be able to take off, but in-flight I cannot get any craft to slow down to a vectored/hover speed. Trying to find the "sweet spot" is too unforgiving, if it really even exists. Moreover, I have a custom VTOL mod I made that has landing skids. It must take off and land like a helicopter (i.e.: vertical up, vertical down), but it must also have the ability to maneuver like a plane once it has fully taken off. I developed this pretty well before the Jets update, but now it's crap.

On 6/30/2017 at 7:44 AM, Moonman_Au said:

Lastly i would recommend getting used to a running landing (landing on a runway with forward speed) or practicing on the salt flat where it is nice and open first and then easing into a hover landing.

It's like someone else said: what's the point of having a VTOL if you need space to take off and land (paraphrasing).

I also wanted to add this bit: if you wanted to practice landing, you can do it over and over again without consequence in the virtual garage.

I had another (renewed) look at my paused VTOL project for a second time after the Jets DLC came out, and I found its handling was very much turned to crap. There's that video which explains how to fly by turning off auto-vectoring, using flaps, and all that. It's all fine and dandy, but two new things are happening:
1) The nose drop/stall, after slowing to a hover. Yes, it's covered in the video, too... Sometimes it seems more dramatic in my aircraft, but then sometimes it seems more recoverable than in the CSAT VTOL. It could be the power:weight ratio is different, since my little VTOL is much lighter and has smaller engines.

2) My VTOL drifts backwards after takeoff. Having a look at my model, I double-checked the position of its mass distribution to make sure it wasn't caused by offset mass.

Perhaps the long to short is that the new VTOL flight model is very bad. Even though the video helps manage the new VTOL flight characteristics, it's still an incomplete workaround to a major problem.

Can no longer fly with a Thrusmaster hotas and pedals, regardless of what I do, settings sensitivity, %0 problems before, the Blackfish is now not flyable. there is no soft spot with the throttle, its like 0% or flat out 100% no matter what I do. 

• Like 2

The Blackfish VTOL is now garbage and can't be landed vertically because it is impossible to get into vertical landing mode.

I have a problem to control VTOL vehicle in VTOL showcase mission. I can take off and speed it up. I can land VTOL and control it in the air when speed is below 200. After this speed I cannot control the vehicle very well. I cannot turn left and right. I try to turn by rolling left and right and pull joystick - almost no effect. Pedals do not work on high speed. It is extremely difficult to gather altitude - I pull joystick maximum on speed 500 but there is almost no effect. I cannot drop speed for VTOL airplane. After setting throttle to 0 I can fly few minutes without loosing the speed what makes it difficult to land. Are there any special tricks to control VTOL aircraft? I have no problem to control the planes and helicopters. I use CH Fightstick, CH Pedals, CH Throttle controllers.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:22 AM, scotg said:

There's that video which explains how to fly by turning off auto-vectoring, using flaps, and all that.

Just if someone was looking for it